U.S. Politics

maqroll

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

As grim as that is, I don't think you can immediately draw the connection between it and Mengele. The term Angel of Death predates him by literally thousands of years. Azrael, Abaddon, various other biblical entities... All were the Angel of Death.

I'd be interested to see the results of an exercise involving stopping people in the street and asking them what the "Angel of Death" means to them, if anything.

I doubt the biblical references would come higher than the nazi one.

But whether people generally identify one or the other, the idea of the US regime gleefully promoting the concept in connection with instruments of death is pretty sick.  Sick, not in the understanding a 12 year old would have of the word.

8 hours ago, peterms said:

I'd be interested to see the results of an exercise involving stopping people in the street and asking them what the "Angel of Death" means to them, if anything.

But whether people generally identify one or the other, the idea of the US regime gleefully promoting the concept in connection with instruments of death is pretty sick.  Sick, not in the understanding a 12 year old would have of the word.

Most people would think it was a wrestler, I really don’t think your average man on the street will have read the bible or know who Joseph Mengele was

• Like 1

A Twitter of a Hercules releasing defensive (anti heat seeking missile) flares and an apparent nickname given to it by unnamed people (presumably aircrew) is quite low on my list of things to get all cross about. F104s were called “widow makers”by their pilots.... because they killed their pilots

Mind you I don’t get all cross about actual aircraft names either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blandy said:

A Twitter of a Hercules releasing defensive (anti heat seeking missile) flares and an apparent nickname given to it by unnamed people (presumably aircrew) is quite low on my list of things to get all cross about. F104s were called “widow makers”by their pilots.... because they killed their pilots

Mind you I don’t get all cross about actual aircraft names either.

Well, it definitely was the Angel of Death for 30 people when it razed an Afghani hospital in November :( 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, peterms said:

You give too much credit to the average person on the street.

Never mind Mengele, I'd be surprised if they knew who Hitler was. 

50 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well, it definitely was the Angel of Death for 30 people when it razed an Afghani hospital in November :( 

Yes, it was sadly. It's a war crime to attack a hospital being used as a hospital and the evidence is damning. They knew it was a hospital, they new the co-ordinates, the hospital told them "we're being attacked". The crew apparently questioned whether what they were told to do was legal. Utter disgrace and shameful.

Calling the plane a nickname of "fluffy bunnykins" or "Angel of Death" - irrelevant.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yes, it was sadly. It's a war crime to attack a hospital being used as a hospital and the evidence is damning. They knew it was a hospital, they new the co-ordinates, the hospital told them "we're being attacked". The crew apparently questioned whether what they were told to do was legal. Utter disgrace and shameful.

Calling the plane a nickname of "fluffy bunnykins" or "Angel of Death" - irrelevant.

It's just insult to injury really. I guess people expect the government to have a certain decorum about killing innocent people. It's all a bit shit. What even is the US still doing in Afghanistan?

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I guess people expect the government to have a certain decorum about killing innocent people. It's all a bit shit. What even is the US still doing in Afghanistan?

Perhaps they do. But pretty much universally there is no decorum in killing people. It's, well, it's stating the bleeding obvious, but it's the absolute opposite of decorum to wage war, or armed conflict. It should be avoided at almost all costs, and acts like the hospital attack are war crimes pure and simple.

In a way, and this isn't by any means an excuse, but calling warplanes, and weaponry by more death linked names, might make people's acquiescence to war and acts of war less passively accepting., or it might make people more numbly immune to what governments do in their name - I dunno.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, blandy said:

A Twitter of a Hercules releasing defensive (anti heat seeking missile) flares and an apparent nickname given to it by unnamed people (presumably aircrew) is quite low on my list of things to get all cross about

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, it's not the name per se that is remarkable, it's that the US Dept of Defense (not some lowly crew member) posts this gleeful celebration of their killing capacity.  They are supposed to maintain an air of solemn regret at the claimed necessity of unavoidably killing people, but in this instance the mask has slipped.

Possibly one of the more truthful communications they have made.

Boys with toys.  Disturbed boys.

1 hour ago, peterms said:

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, it's not the name per se that is remarkable, it's that the US Dept of Defense (not some lowly crew member) posts this gleeful celebration of their killing capacity.  They are supposed to maintain an air of solemn regret at the claimed necessity of unavoidably killing people, but in this instance the mask has slipped.

Possibly one of the more truthful communications they have made.

Boys with toys.  Disturbed boys.

The military is held in reverence here.

You may think it annoying to have to see the odd TA advert over in LizzyLand, it's pretty much non-stop over here. They Navy just declared their F35s battle ready or some such today too... "A squadron of the U.S. Navy's newest fighters is aircraft carrier-qualified and ready to deploy, the Navy said Thursday. The announcement is a milestone for the Pentagon's trillion-dollar F-35 Joint Strike Fighter weapons program." Hip-hip hooray, hip-hip, hooray!

https://taskandpurpose.com/navy-f35-combat-ready

15 minutes ago, villakram said:

You may think it annoying to have to see the odd TA advert over in LizzyLand, it's pretty much non-stop over here

I do indeed. 

We are currently having a crisis of introspection about the numbers of our children dying weekly from knife attacks.  The US seems like the corner gang with the biggest, baddest knives, carving up anyone who looks at them wrong.

As well as the massive death toll abroad, what might concern even the US authorities is the obvious cost to their own people.  This comment is about ex service people.

Here.

...more suicides annually than the total American deaths during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) since the wars began..

Mad.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, peterms said:

I do indeed. 

We are currently having a crisis of introspection about the numbers of our children dying weekly from knife attacks.  The US seems like the corner gang with the biggest, baddest knives, carving up anyone who looks at them wrong.

As well as the massive death toll abroad, what might concern even the US authorities is the obvious cost to their own people.  This comment is about ex service people.

Here.

Mad.

and in closely related news, the makers of OxyContin are considering filing for bankruptcy given their impending legal tsunami... and they'll be allowed to do it too, given we can't have the wealthy owners bankrupted and imprisoned.

• Sad 1

What's people's view on Ben Shapiro? I know next to nothing about him, but I tend to like how certain debaters use statistics and brains to win discussion instead of trying to be the one shouting loudest. Another one is Jordan Peterson. Know next to nothing about him either. He seems a bit of a troll, but at least he debates fairly rationally and with some grace and intellect. 

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Another one is Jordan Peterson. Know next to nothing about him either. He seems a bit of a troll, but at least he debates fairly rationally and with some grace and intellect.

Jordan Peterson is an utter tool.

Thankfully, he appears to have gone quiet over here in the last few months.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, snowychap said:

Jordan Peterson is an utter tool.

Thankfully, he appears to have gone quiet over here in the last few months.

How come ? I am in no means a supporter of his, but I've picked up he is quite polarizing figure. 

It strikes me that he tends to argue completely based out of science and statistics, which to me is rather refreshing. 

And I must say anyone involved in political debates who shuts up while others talk and refrain from using suppression techniques, is automatically better than most IMO. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Jordan Peterson is fine (and Canadian rather than American), I may disagree with him on some political issues but he backs his arguments up well and his lectures/videos are a decent resource for anyone with anxiety issues.  I've not been able to see get through about 30 seconds of watching Ben Shapiro.

Â