U.S. Politics

maqroll

Just as a few Twitter folk predicted yesterday, Trump's sent up a smokescreen by way of more travel restrictions - this time several Middle Eastern countries and airlines are no longer allowed to have passengers carry electronic devices in the cabin.  This includes Qatar, Emirates and Etihad - and includes using those countries as a connection.

In typically limp-wristed fashion the UK has followed suit.  So if you're on a business trip to Asia via Emirates you have to put your laptop in your case on the way back.  Bonkers!

8 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

In typically limp-wristed fashion the UK has followed suit.

We've gone further, apparently:

The British government has announced a cabin baggage ban on laptops on direct passenger flights to the UK from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia.

The US ban applies to flights from 10 airports in eight countries. Nine airlines are affected - Royal Jordanian, EgyptAir, Turkish Airlines, Saudi Arabian Airlines, Kuwait Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Qatar Airways, Emirates and Etihad Airways.

Asked why the US ban differed from the UK, Theresa May's spokesman said: "We have each taken our own decisions."

Sec of State Tillerson skipping the NATO summit and going to Moscow instead, for his first European state visit. Kind of says it all. Putin must have so much dirt on these people that they've become his willing pawns. Distressing.

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

Sec of State Tillerson skipping the NATO summit and going to Moscow instead, for his first European state visit. Kind of says it all. Putin must have so much dirt on these people that they've become his willing pawns. Distressing.

Speaking of Rex....

Rex Tillerson said the job of secretary of State wasn't a role he sought out.

"I didn't want this job. I didn't seek this job," Tillerson told the Independent Journal Review in an interview during his recent Asia trip. 

When asked why he agreed to take on the position of secretary of State, Tillerson said his wife "told me I'm supposed to do this."

During the interview, Tillerson said he had never met President Trump before the election. After his victory, the president wanted to talk with Tillerson "about the world."

“When he asked me at the end of that conversation to be secretary of State, I was stunned," Tillerson said.

Tillerson later told his wife about the offer. 

“I told you God’s not through with you," he said his wife told him.

The former ExxonMobil CEO added: “I was supposed to retire in March, this month. I was going to go to the ranch to be with my grandkids."

Tillerson said he serves at the "pleasure of the president."

"My wife convinced me," he said. "She was right. I'm supposed to do this."

Tillerson was confirmed as secretary of State in February, despite a late effort by Democrats to slow down the nomination.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/325123-tillerson-i-didnt-want-this-job

Trump won't last long.

I'm sure this is just a short term "Look at what you could have!" by some super government.  They gave the voters a paranoid woman and a self-obsessed celebrity to vote for.  The voters voted for Trump "to show "THE MAN"" - they soon realise that you need to be somewhat capable and sensible to run a country, let alone America, and then something happens and they get a "normal" president.

I'm sure this is just a big wind up.  Shock and awe tactics.  Trumps not even acting like he's going to be in the seat long, he's just going round the oval office swinging axes around.

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

A graph showing those who would gain through the lowering of their healthcare premiums would be more enlightening.

I doubt it would be much more enlightening. Predictions of Obamacare's impact on premiums turned out to be completely inaccurate, I doubt it would be much different this time.

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

From my limited reading, premiums wouldn't be lowered and millions more would be without insurance.

Not strictly correct.  The young and healthy would see a reduction in their premiums.  This is rather offset by the elderly looking like getting, in the example given by the CBO, an increase of around 750% on their premiums.  Then there are all the people who won't be able to get insurance at all anymore, they will see their premiums drop quite dramatically to zero, but sadly only for the short time they remain alive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

A graph showing those who would gain through the lowering of their healthcare premiums would be more enlightening.

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

Not strictly correct.  The young and healthy would see a reduction in their premiums.  This is rather offset by the elderly looking like getting, in the example given by the CBO, an increase of around 750% on their premiums.  Then there are all the people who won't be able to get insurance at all anymore, they will see their premiums drop quite dramatically to zero, but sadly only for the short time they remain alive.

You have to keep young people in the pool to keep the overall costs for everyone down. That was a main point of Obamacare and what lead to everyone having to buy a plan or face a fine.

Obama messed up by allowing the insurance companies to have to much say in the Affordable Care Act. He should have pushed for single payer at the time he had the political capital to do it. As usual though, the lobbiest's won out.

We are now going to revert some bastardized version of who know's what just so team Trump can get a 'win' and there will be another decade to 15 years of terrible healthcare for the underemployed and poor of the US.

• Like 3

A certain amount of weird karma in it as it'll primarily be the 50+ crowd just outside medicare who'll have to bear the brunt of any cost increases. Given that they are the generation who have completely not bothered with the whole, leave things in a better state for you kids thing... well.

Ya, I know... it's the poor members of that careless class who'll get dinged... same as it ever was. Obama is going to be looked back on so poorly, though he'll likely escape due to the orange.

On 3/21/2017 at 16:33, NurembergVillan said:

In typically limp-wristed fashion the UK has followed suit.  So if you're on a business trip to Asia via Emirates you have to put your laptop in your case on the way back.  Bonkers!

I don't think UAE/Qatar applies to the UK, only US. 

Â