U.S. Politics

maqroll

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

the question she was originally responding to was why does the average elected (GOP) official shows unwavering support for Israel? The simplest and most obvious answer is AIPAC. It's a no-brainer.

Hopefully the response in my post above, and the twitter thread Peter posted makes clear that (IMO) the no brainer thing is misdirected.

These new Democrat congress women are a bit of a change to the norm, and for the better. She might have messed up a bit on twitter, but this is better

Video on link

Donald Trump’s envoy to Venezuela was left flustered and visibly angry following an interrogation by Democratic congresswoman Ilhan Omar over his controversial political past.

Elliot Abrams was appointed special envoy to Venezuela last month to help lead the US response to the political crisis in the South American country, which is seeing widespread hunger and violence following the collapse of its economy. 

On Wednesday, Mr Abrams, who served in the Reagan administration, testified in front of the House foreign affairs select committee, where he was subjected to a fierce line of questioning by Ms Omar. 

The 37-year-old, elected to the House in November, raised Mr Abrams’ role in the Iran-Contra affair, in which he was found guilty on two counts of withholding information from Congress. He was later pardoned by President George HW Bush.

“I fail to understand why members of this committee or the American people should find any testimony that you give today to be truthful,” Ms Omar said, who added it “wasn’t a question” when an agitated Mr Abrams tried to respond.....

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

Trump declares National Emergency so he can build his wall

Seems appropriate.  To look at it another way, how could any country which could have Trump in charge, not be in a state of national emergency?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Strikes me that they could just build about 400 metres of wall in a circle and take him for a tour around and around and around.

Pocket a couple of billion, everybody happy.

Need to put a burger joint in the middle to distract him

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Love to have an 'emergency' you've been teasing for literally months

"I didn't need to do this. I could do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn't need to do this. But I wanted to do it faster."

He literally announces a national emergency while admitting it's not an emergency. Yet still the impeachment doesn't come.

• Like 2

A view from the US right wing, on right wing US warmongers.

I'm slightly surprised by how coherent Carlson is in writing.  When I've seen clips of his tv show, it mostly seems to be him with furrowed brow and glaikit expression, failing to comprehend what someone is explaining to him.

Why Are These Professional War Peddlers Still Around?

Pundits like Max Boot and Bill Kristol got everything after 9/11 wrong but are still considered "experts."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterms said:

A view from the US right wing, on right wing US warmongers.

I'm slightly surprised by how coherent Carlson is in writing.  When I've seen clips of his tv show, it mostly seems to be him with furrowed brow and glaikit expression, failing to comprehend what someone is explaining to him.

I read that article yesterday and agree with you. Carlson is vile and irritating on TV but that's a well written coherent article and I agree with for the most part.

Â