U.S. Politics

maqroll

15 hours ago, peterms said:

It was uncomfortable to watch.  Made me feel a bit like I was echoing those people who used to turn up at Victorian mental hospitals to watch people exhibiting bizarre behaviour.   A bit voyeuristic, and a little out of place, like you should be seeking help for them, not just watching.

a572d8be-37dd-4411-bc03-24bdcee36c49?fit=crop&h=733&w=1100&s=ad92c7e11eecea3896534d570c0fcbf0365bdf2b

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

More Proud Boys violence last night in Oregon. General belief that they've got police protection there in Portland.

This is what happens when you abstain from masturbation and belong to a group named after a song in a Disney cartoon about Arabs

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

This is what happens when you abstain from masturbation and belong to a group named after a song in a Disney cartoon about Arabs

I've never heard of them before, but I can't believe they openly admit that their main target audience is a bunch of rocket polishers.  This world gets weirder and weirder by the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting article on lynching in US history.  I hadn't appreciated the scale of it, or the degree of impunity that accompanied it.  It's also an important part of the thread between slavery, post-slavery use of the prison system as a means of racial control, voter suppression, and the continuing trivial and racist complaints we now see enacted on youtube (calling the police because black youths are waiting in Starbucks, or this week's allegation of indecent assault by a 9-year old) which in years gone by were the pretext for lynchings.

...The United States sometimes seems to be committed to amnesia, to forgetting its great national sin of chattel slavery and the violence, repression, endless injustices and humiliations that have sustained racial hierarchies since emancipation. Stevenson has said that, visiting Germany, he was struck by the number of memorials to the victims of the Holocaust: the Stolpersteine, or ‘stumbling stones’, set in the ground in their thousands to mark the names of the murdered in the places where they once lived; the Holocaust Memorial near the Brandenburg Gate and its subterranean museum; the thousands of other reminders all over the country of the evils done in the name of Germany – maps, monuments, plaques, preserved concentration camps. Similarly, the Apartheid Museum in South Africa bears witness to the racist system that dominated that country’s history; monuments and plaques outside the constitutional court in Johannesburg recognise those who suffered. There is no remotely comparable memorial culture in the United States to the legacy of slavery...

...After slavery comes what the museum calls ‘Era 2: Racial Terror’, characterised by lynching. Visitors can use touchscreens to light up interactive maps that display lynchings by geographic and chronological density: never fewer than one lynching a week for the half-century starting in the 1870s; more than three a week in the 1890s. The museum shows how the Black Codes passed by Southern states after the end of the Civil War to restrict the occupations, movements and wages of former slaves led to the rise of incarceration of blacks for petty crimes, partly as a result of their inability to pay fines for small infractions. It also documents the advent of black convict leasing, when prisoners were hired out to provide labour to private companies. It is not hard to see the present in that past, and some of the continuities are almost parodic. The notorious 19th-century Louisiana State Penitentiary is known as Angola after the sugar plantation on the same site which was worked by slaves before the Civil War; after the war it remained a sugar plantation but was worked instead by black convict labour. Those not needed on the plantation were hired out elsewhere. But unlike expensive privately owned slaves whose lives mattered, leased convicts were disposable. In bad years the death rate among leased prisoners was roughly equivalent to that in the labour camp part of Auschwitz. ‘Era 3: Segregation Forever’ documents the legal establishment of a racial purity regime as strict as any of its 20th-century European competitors. North Carolina required not only separate schools for black and white children but segregation of textbooks (‘Books shall not be interchangeable between the white and coloured schools, but shall continue to be used by the race first using them’)...

...The scale of the terror and its consequences are incompatible with its place in public consciousness. Far fewer people died in the Kishinev Pogroms of 1903 – which shook the world, changed Western immigration policies, and became until the Holocaust emblematic of the vulnerability of Jews in the diaspora – than were killed in the Elaine massacre in a tiny Arkansas town that no one has ever heard of. The deaths in Colfax exceed the number of Jews killed on Kristallnacht. Of course, most lynchings were individual murders, the bodies left hanging and riddled with bullets. But they happened in their thousands: it was still a reign of terror...

19 hours ago, peterms said:

I must admit to chuckling at the rightwing guy who stated that her ancestor, probably lived at the same time as Pocahontas.  The comedy circuit should lap this up.

I'd love to know what was going on in their strategy meeting when they decided to release these results.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

I'd love to know what was going on in their strategy meeting when they decided to release these results.

An utterly bizarre decision, it does absolutely nothing for the Democrat cause. It should have been left exactly where it was

Trump clearly got under her skin if she couldn't see that doing this was tactically stupid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

she couldn't see that doing this was tactically stupid

I think she might want to be President of America. Didn't Obama have all this crap from Trumper about being Kenyan or something? Eventually he released his passport, but all the while, the "doubt" was used by Trump as a dog-whistle thing for numbskull supporters. Maybe by releasing this thing, she's hoping to partially neutralise a similar thing with her? Doesn't he call her pocahontas all the time as a "she's faked her indian heritage" thing?

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I think she might want to be President of America. Didn't Obama have all this crap from Trumper about being Kenyan or something? Eventually he released his passport, but all the while, the "doubt" was used by Trump as a dog-whistle thing for numbskull supporters. Maybe by releasing this thing, she's hoping to partially neutralise a similar thing with her? Doesn't he call her pocahontas all the time as a "she's faked her indian heritage" thing?

There's a time and a place though and just before the Mid-terms wasn't it

34 minutes ago, blandy said:

She is trapped in a bubble. This was clearly part of a plan to clear the deck as they head towards 2020 and everyone in her entourage thought or agreed that this would be great. All she's done is engage directly with Trump and demonstrate that her use of minority status during her life/career is on highly dubious ground. Pure stupidity, blinded by hatred of Trump. 

I guess, on the positive side... at least this nonsense is out and we know that she's no good and hence there is a tiny sliver of hope that the Dems can put up a credible challenger to Trump. 

In other news, the McCaskill campaign (D-MO) has been gotten by project Veritas and they've recorded her people saying some really stupid things. In this close race, this could well be what does her in with the R-swing voters. Latest polling is trending towards a solid hold of the senate for the R crowd.

Stupid Dems yet again... sigh!

Â