U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 01/06/2018 at 18:56, HanoiVillan said:

Here's a useful reminder that there are despicable people in American politics who aren't named Donald Trump, and aren't even Republican:

Dammit not Jill too. Can't trust a single politician.

For a nation that had a revolution and created a constitution specifically to defend against the tyranny of a King, there has been little more than a whimper as Trump effectively declares himself above the consequences of the law. 

I'd be surprised if he hasn't started measuring himself up for a crown, and I would not put it past the GOP to be happy enough to anoint him.

5 minutes ago, Straggler said:

For a nation that had a revolution and created a constitution specifically to defend against the tyranny of a King, there has been little more than a whimper as Trump effectively declares himself above the consequences of the law. 

I'd be surprised if he hasn't started measuring himself up for a crown, and I would not put it past the GOP to be happy enough to anoint him.

There are plenty of other legal minds that disagree

Just now, bickster said:

There are plenty of other legal minds that disagree

Yep, the constitution specifically mentions that no man is above the law.  But in practice, if he does it and Congress under Republican control lets him, then what happens?

10 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Yep, the constitution specifically mentions that no man is above the law.  But in practice, if he does it and Congress under Republican control lets him, then what happens?

Constitutional crisis!

The thing is that Republicans should be up in arms about that Trump tweet.  They frame themselves as the ultimate defenders of the constitution, but here is Trump very publicly undercutting one of, not just the defining features of the constitution, that no man is above the law, but he is undercutting one of the main reasons that they had the war of independence and wrote a constitution in the first place.  If the people that run government and run law enforcement stay silent, or support him the law in effect changes.  It should be a no brainer, every member of congress, every member of the senate should be seen to stand up and say that this statement cannot stand and will result in him being not just impeached, but that the pardon would be ruled unconstitutional and rescinded.  However the current lot are doing the old "oh I don't think he is seriously considering it" shtick, which they have been saying since the day they heard he was going to run.

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Constitutional crisis!

Agreed, constitutional crisis ahoy and would you trust the GOP not to side with Trump on this one?

The imperial nature of the US presidency predates Donald Trump by a significant distance. It was a long time ago that the balance of power swung from the congress to the presidential branch of US government.

2 hours ago, villakram said:

The imperial nature of the US presidency predates Donald Trump by a significant distance. It was a long time ago that the balance of power swung from the congress to the presidential branch of US government.

Try telling that to Obama who was stonewalled by the GOP repeatedly throughout his tenure. 

I must have forgotten when Obama pulled shit like the below.

“The Philadelphia Eagles are unable to come to the White House with their full team to be celebrated tomorrow,” President Trump said in a statement. “They disagree with their President because he insists that they proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart, in honor of the great men and women of our military and the people of our country. The Eagles wanted to send a smaller delegation, but the 1,000 fans planning to attend the event deserve better. These fans are still invited to the White House to be part of a different type of ceremony — one that will honor our great country, pay tribute to the heroes who fight to protect it, and loudly and proudly play the National Anthem.”

**** scary. Proper banana republic behaviour.

34 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I must have forgotten when Obama pulled shit like the below.

**** scary. Proper banana republic behaviour.

This, yep, pretty much just this:

Nailed it

In a statement late Monday, Mayor Jim Kenney of Philadelphia said that disinviting the Eagles “from the White House only proves that our president is not a true patriot, but a fragile egomaniac obsessed with crowd size and afraid of the embarrassment of throwing a party to which no one wants to attend.”

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'd guess that's just ensured that the anthem issue will continue well in to next season. What Trump wants, unfortunately.

Edit: I imagine he'd probably really prefer an outright win, i.e. everyone just going along with his demand. A decent second best for him, though, is that it continues to be an ongoing problem that he can keep tweeting about to appeal to certain sections of his support rather than just falling away and ceasing to be an issue.

Edited by snowychap
imagine for the second guess
  • Like 1

And here is Fox news showing photos of the players kneeling in prayer and making out like it was part of a national anthem protest.  Just to be clear, no Eagles player knelt during the national anthem at any stage of last season.  That Fox is a scummy station is hardly news, but here they go again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

"Hail to the Chief". What an utter embarrassment that song is. 

Hmmm, that's just given me an idea for work.

The Chief is the nickname of the man that started the company I work for. He still potters about the office on a daily basis and quite often pays us a visit. I'm just going to have that preloaded in youtube for his next visit.

(He will appreciate the humour)

Â