U.S. Politics

maqroll

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I hope he has a heart attack, the fat word removed.

In all seriousness, I thought the security services would have assassinated him by now, and passed it off as a heart attack or some other natural cause.

I don't get why they are allowing him to live, when he can be disruptive to their wider aims.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterms said:

In all seriousness, I thought the security services would have assassinated him by now, and passed it off as a heart attack or some other natural cause.

I don't get why they are allowing him to live, when he can be disruptive to their wider aims.

I'd worry that if he did have a heart attack, unless it was on live on TV it'd be claimed (in large numbers) that your scenario is what really happened and it was all a cover up.

I know conspiracy theories are nothing new, but it seems like more people believe them than ever before.  A consequence of more bots on social media?  A consequence of more idiots in society?  A consequence of painting everything except the swivel-eyed loons like Alex Jones as fake news?

Funnily enough I watched JFK last night and thought where are the rogue  FBI , CIA, Mafia  and Cubans when you need them *

* yes I know it was LHO acting alone 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'd worry that if he did have a heart attack, unless it was on live on TV it'd be claimed (in large numbers) that your scenario is what really happened and it was all a cover up.

I know conspiracy theories are nothing new, but it seems like more people believe them than ever before.  A consequence of more bots on social media?  A consequence of more idiots in society?  A consequence of painting everything except the swivel-eyed loons like Alex Jones as fake news?

I think the reason that conspiracy theories are more believed than years ago, is that we have better knowledge than years ago about the things that were actually done, denied, and derided as "conspiracies".

When I see someone saying "Ooh, that's a conspiracy theory ", I translate it as "I am an idiot who needs assistance to count my own feet".

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, peterms said:

I think the reason that conspiracy theories are more believed than years ago, is that we have better knowledge than years ago about the things that were actually done, denied, and derided as "conspiracies".

When I see someone saying "Ooh, that's a conspiracy theory ", I translate it as "I am an idiot who needs assistance to count my own feet".

Unless of course, they are deriding actual, crazy batshit mental conspiracy theories like the moon landings not happening.

• Like 3

Worth a watch to see the different mindset at play, for those of us conditioned to expect a certain style from our politicians.

BBC 1 Panorama Trump Voters One Year On

It has a number of statistics in it that basically show that he still plays well to his base (which we already knew). But stats along the line of 89% of Trump voters think he's done a great job so far and would vote for him again.

I guess what you've got to rationalise, is in a 2 horse race in the UK, is there any candidate Labour could put up, that would cause their core vote to chose the Maybot.

Every slap in the face of accepted political behaviour by Trump, proves to his voters he's not just another career politician. Which in a land where people carry a gun to protect themselves against the state...

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

guess what you've got to rationalise, is in a 2 horse race in the UK, is there any candidate Labour could put up, that would cause their core vote to chose the Maybot.

Corbyn ?  :D 

• Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Corbyn ?  :D 

I did pause and think, there's an obvious retort here...

But yeah, programme's worth a watch to see another way of looking at Trump.

Incidentally, on the conspiracy theories, I think the JFK one has a lot of serious backers. Most of the others are just fun.

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Worth a watch to see the different mindset at play, for those of us conditioned to expect a certain style from our politicians.

BBC 1 Panorama Trump Voters One Year On

It has a number of statistics in it that basically show that he still plays well to his base (which we already knew). But stats along the line of 89% of Trump voters think he's done a great job so far and would vote for him again.

I guess what you've got to rationalise, is in a 2 horse race in the UK, is there any candidate Labour could put up, that would cause their core vote to chose the Maybot.

Every slap in the face of accepted political behaviour by Trump, proves to his voters he's not just another career politician. Which in a land where people carry a gun to protect themselves against the state...

But seriously , this Week , last week had a small piece on Trump where someone was defending him ... surprisingly I didn’t pick up my phone and start fact checking these claims but from memory it was

black unemployment is at its lowest level ever

his (corporation ? ) tax breaks meant the US economy was booming 

his stance on Iran was working 

he’d brought stability  to the Middle East ( via the embassy move ) .. tbh this one I don’t think needs to be fact checked you only have to switch on the news to see it can’t be true 

He’s unpopular in New York and SAN Francisco as you’d expect but seemed to be popular in most other places 

I think that was the gist of it (it was a week ago so the claims may have been presented differently tbf )

the panel  were talking about a second term being a possibility which I’m fairly sure they wouldn’t have entertained a year ago 

so  it sorta backs up some of your Post as well

51 minutes ago, Risso said:

Unless of course, they are deriding actual, crazy batshit mental conspiracy theories like the moon landings not happening.

Ooh yeah.

Of course most people who are called "conspiracy theorists" don't say the moon landings didn't happen, or the world is a giant toffee apple constructed by an iguana called Bxing, or that accountants are basically honest.

They say things like "Maybe the White Helmets, since they only operate in Isis-controlled areas and plainly fabricate their videos showing heroic rescues, woukd merit closer scrutiny".

Plainly beyond the bounds of rational debate.

Anyway, you have a conspiracy theory to alert us to?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, peterms said:

Ooh yeah.

Of course most people who are called "conspiracy theorists" don't say the moon landings didn't happen, or the world is a giant toffee apple constructed by an iguana called Bxing, or that accountants are basically honest.

They say things like "Maybe the White Helmets, since they only operate in Isis-controlled areas and plainly fabricate their videos showing heroic rescues, woukd merit closer scrutiny".

oooo oooo oo, I know this, I know this.... steel beams and... oh feck, I forget the rest :D

or central banks conspire to manipulate global markets in favor of those with assets.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

oooo oooo oo, I know this, I know this.... steel beams and... oh feck, I forget the rest :D

or central banks conspire to manipulate global markets in favor of those with assets.

One of those has slightly more circumstantial evidence than the other to support its possibility of actually being true.    Seriously, how could anyone believe the banks would cater to their constituents over the downtrodden?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, villakram said:

That wasn't my intention.

It's more that I'm sick of hearing all these new people who suddenly care so much about things, but only because it now costs nothing to do so given that it's so popular to be against Trump.  This is not intended as a shot at you btw. The US has long been $$ above everything else, but so many who were free-wheeling because the politicians spoke sugared words, now all of a sudden are up in arms. Like Trump has really changed that much. He hasn't. This is the standard to and fro of US politics. The GE/GM CEO will say that it's bad to pull out of Paris, yet they move(d) all their super polluting industry to China or somewhere else. This morn Ford basically announced that they are giving up on the low cost car segment as the profit and the sales are in SUVs etc., which have lower CAFE standards or some such loop hole.  Americans care so much about the environment that SUV/Truck sales are growing growing growing. Similarly oil production has grown grown grown, while we all pretend that we care about the environment more now. This would be what circles back to why I don't really see pulling out of Paris as such a disaster. Pretending to solve the problem does nothing. It's all a big PR game.

Slightly OT but the biggest thing an individual can do for the environment is to adopt a vegan diet. By no longer contributing to the meat and dairy industry you immediately cut your carbon footprint by more than 50%.* 

*(It's cheaper too and now, with all my extra cash, I travel everywhere by private jet.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, peterms said:

Ooh yeah.

Yes, I tried to communicate it to you via the medium of telepathy, but I think your tinfoil hat is blocking the signal. 

Edited by Risso
  • Haha 1

Â