U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, Xann said:

Being sued for sexual assault. Filed yesterday.

What a joy the man is.

Assange or Trump?

edit: just seen the beeb article on it. Trump it is. 

Edited by Rodders

I find this quite amusing.  Supposed to be him writing a Presidential address.  The setting, the framing, the faked expression, pretending to write by holding the pad in the air making it pretty hard to write...there is literally nothing natural or genuine about this shot, other than "man poses for contrived photo meant to connote traits he doesn't possess, like concentration, focus on public duty...".

Arse.

tmp_10268-IMG_20170118_194555-1203142051.jpg

• Like 1

Monday - release Chelsea Manning

Tuesday - give half a billion dollars to climate change organisations 

Anyone got any idea what Obama will be doing wind Trump up today?

It's like a strange sort of advent calendar except that the big door on the last day opens to, well, to Donald Trump.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Curious that Manning isn't due to be released until May. 

Could Trump overrule that?

I was trying to look that up. It looks like a Presidential commutation or pardon is absolute though also there appear to have been some claims that some were rescinded around the time of Ulysses Grant.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump tried to rescind it or if they tried something else on the day Manning is released (maybe first new detainee at Gitmo?).

I thought in general, honours or pardons granted by outgoing rulers were accepted as valid regardless of their credentials or propriety as they would otherwise be judged.

Doesn't that go back to antiquity?  I have a vague recollection of Frazier and the Golden Bough, but I'm not going to look for it.  Well, unless I really, really can't sleep tonight.

13 minutes ago, peterms said:

I thought in general, honours or pardons granted by outgoing rulers were accepted as valid regardless of their credentials or propriety as they would otherwise be judged.

Doesn't that go back to antiquity?  I have a vague recollection of Frazier and the Golden Bough, but I'm not going to look for it.  Well, unless I really, really can't sleep tonight.

I was thinking Toby Ziegler and the military space shuttle.  90% of my US political knowledge is based on the West Wing.

Â