U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, villakram said:

What if Trump has been withheld from the media and had managed his image in the classic politician manner when in office? Would that really have been better?

Yes people would’ve not died of Covid because of some of the reckless things he said that many of his supporters then believed.  How many that would’ve been, who knows but even if it only saved one life it would’ve been worth it.

Reagan was a mess in his 2nd term and was similarly hidden from the public. FDR ditto towards the end of his term. 

Trump was a mess for most of his first term.  Made worse by what he said and tweeted and he’s still doing it like on Laura Ingram show last night.  I’m not American or a leftie but he should’ve been held back for people’s safety.

Most of the time it was funny to us non-Americans his absurdity and watching both sides of the political spectrum then flapping trying to keep up but Covid was/is serious, January 6th was serious and his words made a difference in the wrong way.

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes people would’ve not died of Covid because of some of the reckless things he said that many of his supporters then believed.  How many that would’ve been, who knows but even if it only saved one life it would’ve been worth it.

Trump was a mess for most of his first term.  Made worse by what he said and tweeted and he’s still doing it like on Laura Ingram show last night.  I’m not American or a leftie but he should’ve been held back for people’s safety.

Most of the time it was funny to us non-Americans his absurdity and watching both sides of the political spectrum then flapping trying to keep up but Covid was/is serious, January 6th was serious and his words made a difference in the wrong way.

The covid thing is easy picking but absolutely unclear. America has performed better than the UK etc., etc. Could it have performed better, sure, but random tweeting didn't happen in many other countries with worse outcomes, so perhaps the random tweeting saved lives :D 

I believe this is how science is done these days...

3 minutes ago, villakram said:

The covid thing is easy picking but absolutely unclear. America has performed better than the UK etc., etc.

Your argument is that you did better than probably the worst impacted first world country of deaths per million population, the UK?  That’s such a poor argument.  You argument is that Trump did better on deaths per million than UK and Italy? That losing 560k people in the US....

9 minutes ago, villakram said:

Could it have performed better, sure, but random tweeting didn't happen in many other countries with worse outcomes, so perhaps the random tweeting saved lives :D 

Yeah because death is funny isn’t it? 🙄

His words, his tweets and cohorts made the death toll in America worse.  Other countries had their own issues but if you don’t think Trump could’ve saved more lives by not doing some of things he did then it’s pointless having a discussion with you on it.  

The President of the United States words matter to its population and he didn’t use that power in the most crucial time it was needed in the right way and it cost lives.  

38 minutes ago, villakram said:

America has performed better than the UK

UK population density 275 people per Km squared

US population Density 36 people per Km squared

And that is without taking climate into account too

It's not really a like for like comparison when comparing just plain figures

• Like 2

America has performed better than the UK

Not much and as bickster points out, population density matters data. UK 1888 per million, US 1659 deaths per million data

Of course we can compare Canada covid death rate is half that of the US. While I might not put it all down to population density.  Unless someone claims that Americans are denser on average.

Edited by fruitvilla

Given the posting about my posting about Biden's presser rather than the contents thereof, what do people make of his announced China policy position, to paraphrase... On China's goal/desire to be the leading (wealth/power) country in the world "not going to happen under my watch".

Funny, given that they are already the wealthiest on a PPP basis. This wasn't supposed to happen until the ~2030-2050 timeframe in the world as it existed prior to the 2008 crisis.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, villakram said:

Funny, given that they are already the wealthiest on a PPP basis. This wasn't supposed to happen until the ~2030-2050 timeframe in the world as it existed prior to the 2008 crisis.

According to Wikipedia their GDP is there but not their PPP

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

According to Wikipedia their GDP is there but not their PPP

The CIA would like to recruit you.

https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/china/#economy

"Measured on a purchasing power parity (PPP) basis that adjusts for price differences, China in 2017 stood as the largest economy in the world, surpassing the US in 2014 for the first time in modern history."

The IMF currently has it at $20.5 T vs $25.3T in China's favor.

Nominal GDP would state $20.5T vs $13.4T in US's favor.

Edited by villakram

18 hours ago, villakram said:

The last thing I do is hide, I'm practically camped in a corner here... or living living under a bridge if I post things that you disagree with.

Well I disagree. I’ve seen many people try to engage you in a proper discussion and you usually post an arsey or aggressive reply and then disappear 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Not much and as bickster points out, population density matters data. UK 1888 per million, US 1659 deaths per million data

Of course we can compare Canada covid death rate is half that of the US. While I might not put it all down to population density.  Unless someone claims that Americans are denser on average.

Mate, the chart you've posted there shows very clearly that population density has almost no correlation with deaths.

On 26/03/2021 at 19:20, villakram said:

Given the posting about my posting about Biden's presser rather than the contents thereof, what do people make of his announced China policy position, to paraphrase... On China's goal/desire to be the leading (wealth/power) country in the world "not going to happen under my watch".

Same thing Trump said.  The days that America is top of anything good is long gone but if you don’t say it Americans aren’t happy.  Long gone are the days that America was the greatest country in the world, if it ever was.  From wealth, education, infrastructure, healthcare, poverty...America just can’t claim much.

Â