U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

We're not passing judgement on the entirety of her life here; we're deciding whether her policies and actions as president would be better than others'.   If you really think the fact that she was a Republican 30+ years ago is a better indicator of what's she's going to be like as President than her publications, actions, votes, policy proclamations over the past 15 years as a law professor specializing in consumer protection, designer of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Senator and candidate, I'm not sure what to tell you.  Or are you saying that it doesn't matter whether her policies and positions and recent actions are, her tainted past should disqualify her from consideration?

She (Obama et al. too) sat on her hands while her finance bills were watered down and then neutered. Largest DNC funding block?

She played the race card, that those in that minority found incredibly offensive... whatever about judgement from you and I.

These have happened in the last 10 years.

Or maybe pay attention to the Health insurance "Public Option" in her official  presidency policy papers.

and yes, taint lingers! 

I kind of think this is a bit of a pointless discussion, since she ain't going to win, and there's another good leftie candidate in the race anyway, but for what it's worth I think it's very obvious that on nearly every measure going, Warren would have been the most left-leaning president in decades if she had been elected.

On 13/02/2020 at 16:06, HanoiVillan said:

I kind of think this is a bit of a pointless discussion, since she ain't going to win, and there's another good leftie candidate in the race anyway, but for what it's worth I think it's very obvious that on nearly every measure going, Warren would have been the most left-leaning president in decades if she had been elected.

She exudes weird energy. She strikes me as the type of person who thinks she knows better than everyone else. That said, she was close to the top of my list of viable candidates.

I'm done predicting election results.

On 13/02/2020 at 21:06, HanoiVillan said:

Warren would have been the most left-leaning president in decades if she had been elected.

First native american one as well :ph34r:

• Haha 2

Yes, he collects a paycheck from NBC News, I get it. But he also offers free civics lessons to anyone watching, which is a good thing in this country. Most Americans aren't taught much of it in public school.

• Like 1

Hmm

Donald Trump 'offered Julian Assange a pardon if he denied Russia link to hack'

Donald Trump offered Julian Assange a pardon if he would say Russia was not involved in leaking Democratic party emails, a court in London has been told.

The extraordinary claim was made at Westminster magistrates court before the opening next week of Assange’s legal battle to block attempts to extradite him to the US.

Assange’s barrister, Edward Fitzgerald QC, referred to evidence alleging that the former US Republican congressman Dana Rohrabacher had been to see Assange, now 48, while he was still in the Ecuadorian embassy in August 2017.

A statement from Assange’s lawyer Jennifer Robinson shows “Mr Rohrabacher going to see Mr Assange and saying, on instructions from the president, he was offering a pardon or some other way out, if Mr Assange … said Russia had nothing to do with the DNC leaks”, Fitzgerald told Westminster magistrates court.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/19/donald-trump-offered-julian-assange-pardon-russia-hack-wikileaks

4 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

This debate has been something else already. I fear that Trump has already won re-election 

Well if you think back to the Republican primaries 4 years ago they were also pretty undignified but it didn’t cause problems for the Republicans, if anything it reenergised them. 

Ultimately though Trump’s re-election will come down to one thing only, the economy. In the voting booth people don’t care about all the stuff about minorities or the environment that Democrats argue over. In voters minds those things are nice and all but the only issue that counts to people is how their bank balance will be affected. Their decision is based on which President will make the most positive impact on their bank accounts. 

It'll be Trump without a shadow of doubt. There's not a Democratic candidate with a chance of getting the pull required, and the places that Trump has are generally not the kind of places that really give a **** about his indiscretions.

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Ultimately though Trump’s re-election will come down to one thing only, the economy. In the voting booth people don’t care about all the stuff about minorities or the environment that Democrats argue over. In voters minds those things are nice and all but the only issue that counts to people is how their bank balance will be affected. Their decision is based on which President will make the most positive impact on their bank accounts. 

This is not actually true, especially the bolded part.

Â