U.S. Politics

maqroll

President Donald Trump has revoked a policy set by his predecessor requiring US intelligence officials to publish the number of civilians killed in drone strikes outside of war zones.

The 2016 executive order was brought in by then-President Barack Obama, who was under pressure to be more transparent.

Since the 9/11 terror attack, drone strikes have been increasingly used against terror and military targets. The Trump administration said the rule was "superfluous" and distracting.

The order applied to the CIA, which has carried out drone strikes in countries such as Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Somalia.

Auntie Beeb

Maybe what it is, is that he's the best at standing up to these corrupt alphabet soup agencies and draining the swamp etc

Personally I think they're on to something with this combination of superfluous and distracting though.....

His serious sentencing hearing is next week and I doubt his.... "poor little old suffering me in a wheelchair with that nasty gout" routine, will work this time. I suspect he'll hit the appeals hard and drag this out to the next election cycle in hopes of a pardon.

• Like 1

For those of you who were giggling at President Trump's presumed faux pas in referring to Tim Apple, I am happy to put the record straight.

I hope this clarifies matters.

And for those who have been asking about my homework, I can now reveal that it was in fact accidentally ingested by a canine known to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, peterms said:

For those of you who were giggling at President Trump's presumed faux pas in referring to Tim Apple, I am happy to put the record straight.

I hope this clarifies matters.

And for those who have been asking about my homework, I can now reveal that it was in fact accidentally ingested by a canine known to me.

And he always knew that the McDonalds chairman isn't called Ronald.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

And he always knew that the McDonalds chairman isn't called Ronald.

There's a Scottish monetary economist named Ronald McDonald.  Serious bloke, well respected, but everyone suppresses a giggle when he is named.  And now, proposals for currency arrangements following possible Scottish independence, presented by Ronald McDonald.  No.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, peterms said:

There's a Scottish monetary economist named Ronald McDonald.  Serious bloke, well respected, but everyone suppresses a giggle when he is named.  And now, proposals for currency arrangements following possible Scottish independence, presented by Ronald McDonald.  No.

We have a driver with that name, he's Scottish too. Miserable sod, though with a name like that I'm not shocked he's had to endure a lot of jokes at his expense

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

We have a driver with that name, he's Scottish too. Miserable sod, though with a name like that I'm not shocked he's had to endure a lot of jokes at his expense

I don't really see why parents would name their child with rhyming names.  Unless perhaps it was the love child of Pam Ayres.

One thing about Scottish names is there's a custom in some communities, the more remote ones, of naming the child with the surname of the grandparent, which is why you get so many people with first names that are also surnames - they are in fact surnames, repurposed.

As for your mate suffering jokes, I expect he can always get them back by commenting on the superior quality of football he left behind when he moved from Cowdenbeath or Hamilton to Liverpool.   Yes?

6 minutes ago, peterms said:

One thing about Scottish names is there's a custom in some communities, the more remote ones, of naming the child with the surname of the grandparent, which is why you get so many people with first names that are also surnames - they are in fact surnames, repurposed.

Completely off-topic but my dad is called Donald and so is his brother. There are literally thousands of Donald’s on the island. I personally know at least two women called Donalda and several Dona’s. None of them are McDonalds though. 

4 minutes ago, peterms said:

I don't really see why parents would name their child with rhyming names.  Unless perhaps it was the love child of Pam Ayres.

As for your mate suffering jokes, I expect he can always get them back by commenting on the superior quality of football he left behind when he moved from Cowdenbeath or Hamilton to Liverpool.   Yes?

He's not my mate, as far as I can tell he has no mates, he's that miserable. He's also in his 60's now so when he was named, Ronald McDonald wasn't a thing in the UK

As for football and his reaction to the jokes, I have no idea. I just imagine that it is his name that has caused him to become such a curmudgeon

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

He's not my mate, as far as I can tell he has no mates, he's that miserable. He's also in his 60's now so when he was named, Ronald McDonald wasn't a thing in the UK

As for football and his reaction to the jokes, I have no idea. I just imagine that it is his name that has caused him to become such a curmudgeon

He's  probably thinking  "If I was ten years younger I could have ridden that wave".

The idea that peoples'  names constrains their choices is interesting.  Kind of negstive nominative determinism. Though not all that plausible.

Curmudgeon is an excellent word.  We should all use it at least annually.

• Haha 1

Â