U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I know what you mean, but Satire and comedy aren't "news" of any type - they're what it says on the tin.

Fake news is meant to deceive, it's lies. It's diabolical. It's a weapon, basically.

My point kinda was some people aren't even capable of discerning between satire, fake news, and the real thing. I've seen plenty of numpties retweeting satire, thinking it was the real thing and getting outraged etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

It flies in the face of everything I've ever believed, but I am coming round to the idea that there ought to be a minimum educational qualification for voting. 

The Tories would f*** the state schools up all the quicker here.

• Sad 1

The Rocket Polisher speaking at the UN about the Rocket Man.

"The Rocket Man is on a suicide mission"  and that he might have no other option than to totally annihilate North Korea.

It's like an even worse spin off to Dumb & Dumber.

"Now they've got nukes"

Edited by sne

A man who has spoken at the UN, a forum ostensibly for maintaining peace in the world and has threatened three other nations with obliteration, for three entirely different reasons, who has directly threatened the murder of millions of people, some for motives which he's made clear are purely financial, has ended his speech by accusing them of being "rogue".

It would seem to me that rather than the disobedient children, we should be more afraid of the psychotic father - resistance will not be tolerated.

The more long, uninterrupted speeches that this lunatic gets to give, with opportunities to lose his train of thought and go Full Trump, the better.

He can often just about get through short Q&As, or gets dragged off stage by White House staffers. Put the crazy bastard on stage for half an hour as often as possible!

Donald Trump... peacemaker :blink:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-19/trump-is-said-to-have-warned-saudis-off-military-move-on-qatar

"Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates considered taking military action in the early stages of their ongoing dispute with Qatar, until Donald Trump called leaders of both countries and warned them to back off, according to two people familiar with the U.S. president’s intervention."

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Graph shows that households in the bottom 25% of the income distribution in America are actually paid less than they were at the turn of the millenium. 

No prizes for spotting who has done well out of the last 17 years. 

This is cash income and inflation adjusted. It's very hard to see where income growth will come from in terms of the lower deciles. Massive jumps in top fractiles probably those who profited from the recession/ recovery. Only potential issue with comparing to 2000 is that that is when the dot com bubble burst and lead to a recession.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â