U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 7/15/2017 at 07:54, peterms said:

This is so strange.  It's like a cross between arm wrestling, and a very clingy child.

All four of them were really awkward...I doubt the Trumps could understand the Frenchies. I think they were just gibbering at each other for the cameras. But the hands, and the holding, the patting and pulling, the tugging and grasping...like, WTF.

59 minutes ago, maqroll said:

But the hands, and the holding, the patting and pulling, the tugging and grasping...like, WTF.

In the light of today's news about George A Romero, is the plucking and grasping perhaps reminiscent of this?

night-of-the-living-dead-gary-streiner-8

6 hours ago, peterms said:

Looks like a managed release of titbits by someone in the know rather than finding out more.  Aiming for maximum damage.  But will there ever come a point where Republicans have had enough of his behaviour?

Perhaps this it's an experiment to see where the Republicans draw the line if they even do so.

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Getting rid of Trump is not going to upset Mike Pence one bit. 

And in many ways for those on the left getting rid of Trump is actually not wanted. If Pence took over you wouldn't have the distractions that come with the current WH administration. They are paralyzed when it comes to actually forwarding their agenda because they are trying to handle either Russia or Trumps latest Tweet foul up.

Pence won't have those problems, will calmly negotiate with Republican Senators and before you know it we will all be working at the newly constructed "pray away the gay" camps.

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Pence won't have those problems, will calmly negotiate with Republican Senators and before you know it we will all be working at the newly constructed "pray away the gay" camps.

No amount of praying will de-gay Mike Pence. He is deep in the closet.

Oddly enough as Clinton was more popular than Trump at election time and it's hard to see why that would have changed. 

Either way I guess it no longer matters. The Democrats have to focus on their midterm candidates and then work on a credible plan for the electoral college in 2020. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, the eloquence of the most powerful man in the world :crylaugh: Just copying some particular highlights over but worth a scan of the full thing

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/politics/trump-interview-transcript.html?_r=0

Excerpts From The Times’s Interview With Trump

President Trump spoke on Wednesday with three New York Times reporters — Peter Baker, Michael S. Schmidt and Maggie Haberman — in an exclusive interview in the Oval Office. Also in attendance was Hope Hicks, a White House spokeswoman. At one point, the president’s daughter and adviser Ivanka Trump appeared at the door, and her daughter, Arabella, entered the room.

The following are excerpts from that conversation, transcribed by The Times. They have been lightly edited for content and clarity, and omit several off-the-record comments and asides....

HABERMAN: Where does it go from here, do you think?

TRUMP: Well, I say, let’s not vote on repeal. Let’s just vote on this. So first, they vote on the vote. And that happens sometime Friday?

HABERMAN: Next week.

TRUMP: Or Monday? Monday. And then they’ll vote on this, and we’ll see. We have some meetings scheduled today. I think we have six people who are really sort of O.K. They are all good people. We don’t have bad people. I know the bad people. Believe me, do I know bad people.

And we have a very good group of people, and I think they want to get there. So we’ll see what happens. But it’s tough.

SCHMIDT: How’s [Mitch] McConnell to work with?

TRUMP: I like him. I mean, he’s good. He’s good. It’s been a tough process for him.

HABERMAN: He’s taken on some water.

TRUMP: Yeah. It’s been a tough process for him. This health care is a tough deal. I said it from the beginning. No. 1, you know, a lot of the papers were saying — actually, these guys couldn’t believe it, how much I know about it. I know a lot about health care. [garbled] This is a very tough time for him, in a sense, because of the importance. And I believe we get there.

This is a very tough time for them, in a sense, because of the importance. And I believe that it’s [garbled], that makes it a lot easier. It’s a mess. One of the things you get out of this, you get major tax cuts, and reform. And if you add what the people are going to save in the middle income brackets, if you add that to what they’re saving with health care, this is like a windfall for the country, for the people. So, I don’t know, I thought it was a great meeting. I bet the number’s — I bet the real number’s four. But let’s say six or eight. And everyone’s [garbled], so statistically, that’s a little dangerous, right?

BAKER: Pretty tight.

TRUMP: I hope we don’t have any grandstanders. I don’t think we do.

[garbled]

TRUMP: I think it will be pretty bad for them if they did. I don’t think we have any — I think it would be very bad for — I think this is something the people want. They’ve been promised it.

_________

HABERMAN: [In Paris], I don’t think I’ve seen you look like you were enjoying yourself that much since the convention, really.

TRUMP: I have had the best reviews on foreign land. So I go to Poland and make a speech. Enemies of mine in the media, enemies of mine are saying it was the greatest speech ever made on foreign soil by a president. I’m saying, man, they cover [garbled]. You saw the reviews I got on that speech. Poland was beautiful and wonderful, and the reception was incredible.

And then, went to France the following week, because it was the 100th year. [inaudible] The Paris Accord — I wasn’t going to get along with France for a little while, because people forget, because it is a very unfair agreement to us. China doesn’t get [garbled] until 2030. Russia goes back to 1994 as a standard — a much, much lower standard. India has things that are [garbled]. I want to do the same thing as everyone else. We can’t do that? We can’t do that? That’s O.K. Let me get out. Frankly, the people that like me, love that I got out.

After that, it was fairly surprising. He [President Emmanuel Macron of France] called me and said, “I’d love to have you there and honor you in France,” having to do with Bastille Day. Plus, it’s the 100th year of the First World War. That’s big. And I said yes. I mean, I have a great relationship with him. He’s a great guy.

HABERMAN: He was very deferential to you. Very.

TRUMP: He’s a great guy. Smart. Strong. Loves holding my hand.

HABERMAN: I’ve noticed.

TRUMP: People don’t realize he loves holding my hand. And that’s good, as far as that goes.

TRUMP: We had dinner at the Eiffel Tower, and the bottom of the Eiffel Tower looked like they could have never had a bigger celebration ever in the history of the Eiffel Tower. I mean, there were thousands and thousands of people, ’cause they heard we were having dinner.

[crosstalk/garbled]

HABERMAN: You must have been so tired at, by that point.

TRUMP: Yeah. It was beautiful. We toured the museum, we went to Napoleon’s tomb …

[crosstalk]

TRUMP: Well, Napoleon finished a little bit bad. But I asked that. So I asked the president, so what about Napoleon? He said: “No, no, no. What he did was incredible. He designed Paris.” [garbled] The street grid, the way they work, you know, the spokes. He did so many things even beyond. And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death. How many times has Russia been saved by the weather? [garbled]

[crosstalk/unintelligible]

TRUMP: Same thing happened to Hitler. Not for that reason, though. Hitler wanted to consolidate. He was all set to walk in. But he wanted to consolidate, and it went and dropped to 35 degrees below zero, and that was the end of that army.

[crosstalk]

But the Russians have great fighters in the cold. They use the cold to their advantage. I mean, they’ve won five wars where the armies that went against them froze to death. [crosstalk] It’s pretty amazing.

So, we’re having a good time. The economy is doing great.

SCHMIDT: The markets are doing great.

TRUMP: They’re going to really go up if we do what we’re doing. I mean, cut regulations tremendously. Sometimes — you know, one thing they hadn’t thought about at The Times, where they said I didn’t really cut regulations as much. I heard that because I said — it could have been a little slip-up in terms of what I said — I meant, for the time in office, five months and couple of weeks, I think I’ve done more than anyone else. They may have taken it as more than anyone else, period.

[crosstalk]

etc

:mellow:

• Like 1

Mueller has expanded his invesitgation to the Trump business.

How long until he finds himself not doing an investigation anymore? Considering Wikileaks is basically dripfeeding everything they can lay their hands to undermine him, not long you'd guess. And Trump more or less threatened him earlier.

Also the list of people that Donald Jr, Manafort and Kushner have been requested to hand over all communications from is hilarious. Includes Putin. And Rosneft. Cough.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

For what :blink:

I'm guessing opening Pandora's box with Palin? Going by the title of "Maverick" but always doing pretty much the sum of FA. Still a pretty shitty comment if it's about Brain Cancer though.

He's opposed to Obamacare IIRC.

I wouldn't wish cancer on many people. But it's hard not to consider that he has it within his power to influence things to ensure more Americans are able to have healthcare at all... and he chooses not to, yet he himself is alright.

Still, this is America. It doesn't do compassion. It does profit. Sometimes they have some crossover. Rarely in healthcare though.

Â