U.S. Politics

maqroll

North Korea has paraded soldiers, tanks and other military hardware in Pyongyang to mark the 105th anniversary of the birth of its founding president, Kim Il-sung.

BBC

If you were going to attack North Korea?

Parade Day!

Packed like sardines in front of the boss. All the new weapons. Loads of cameras. Brilliant.

It would balance the dollar to casualty deficit created by the recent spate of boutique weapon attacks.

4 minutes ago, Xann said:

BBC

Parade Day!

Packed like sardines in front of the boss. All the new weapons. Loads of cameras. Brilliant.

It would balance the dollar to casualty deficit created by the recent spate of boutique weapon attacks.

I see where your coming from, but there's a reason he invites Western journalists to these things and then packs the place out with civilians and children. 

4 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I see where your coming from, but there's a reason he invites Western journalists to these things and then packs the place out with civilians and children. 

Also, especially in a country that practices conscription, every solider is a civilian.

Edited by a m ole

The post was more about current posturing on the World stage. Everyone wants the limelight.

giphy.gif

Tbf to Theresa May she's not Cameron, or worse, Blair.

Imminent domestic implosion has shifted the UK towards signing trade deals with brutal autocrats instead.

A couple of things to consider from the Chinese point of view. 

Strategically, their biggest issue is Japan re-arming, which due to treaty obligations would ramp up potential for direct conflict with the US. As is, NK is giving everyone in the region a pretext to arm like hell. I suspect a more pliant NK benefits China just as much as everyone else at this point. The big question is can China bring one the the prominent NK Generals on board (hence saving SK) while letting the US do the dirty work of whatever decapitation work is necessary up to whatever red line the Chinese define. Lots of moving parts.

4 hours ago, Xann said:

BBC

Parade Day!

I've been to that parade and most of the weapons are mock ups and old Russian gear ... suffice to say the juicy stuff is kept tucked away in the hundreds of man made hills scattered all around the country ... you could wipe out a few thousand conscript troops though 

22 hours ago, Chindie said:

It could.

It won't.

North Korea has a pistol to South Korea's head in the shape of lots of armaments aimed directly at Seoul. Anything happens to North Korea and Seoul gets considerably flatter.

Then add in that this is just about a nuclear state that we know very little about and you play a dangerous game. You might try to target every suspected nuclear site, it only takes them having 1 hidden away you don't know about to cause a catastrophe.

And there's the China side of things...

North Korea will keep on making a noise and being irritating and the US will keep sabre rattling and nothing will change.

Donald can keep dropping millions of dollars in the desert to try to prop up his terrible numbers without opening Pandora's box without a lid to replace.

One of the guys I was there with is well versed and involved in that region ... spy would be too strong a word but netherless he was there clearly for more than a holiday 

He was telling us at the time a few of the generals wanted Jong Un to take Seoul , they believe they can take it in hours ... take it and then talk ... some generals said it was inevitable they would do this ...interestingly it was Jong Un that was seen as the moderate person keeping these generals in check .... it was almost a time of hope as many felt Jong Un was not going to be like his father , the day I arrived they showed on local news a failed rocket launch , Unprecidented out there ...fast forward 5 years and it seems a lot has changed , I've read articles that say Jong Un saw what happened to the likes of Gadaffi and Saddam and has decided nukes are the only way he feels he can survive , I guess that does explain the big push in that direction .... 

ultimately china has a buffer zone on its flank and the US has an excuse for a huge military presence in the area , I suspect neither side actually wants a resolution to the DPRK issue 

38 minutes ago, Xann said:

yPg62Lo.jpg

This would have looked so much better with a sexier launcher.

Selective quoting ...

I don't doubt they have some serious shit but what I said was that most of the juicy stuff is kept well away from prying eyes 

We saw tanks that are probably older than your grand parents 

Seems the US fleet moved into the region is pretty much ill equipped to cause a threat to DPRK ... it is however rumoured to be equipped with SM-3 (rim 161) missiles .. primarily used to shoot down missiles

could it be that the next DPRK missile launch will get taken out in flight as it enters the usual Japan sea area to show the Koreans and the world ... you ain't got nothing  ?

It's like the Cuban missile crisis of 1962, but with the rather obvious difference that Kruschev and Kennedy were actual statesmen rather than mentally unstable children. 

Edited by mjmooney

So, when Trump visits Britain, he is insisting that they roll out the gold carriage for him, causing a massive security headache.

My honest first reaction to this is I hope you told him to go f*** himself.

10 minutes ago, AJ said:

So, when Trump visits Britain, he is insisting that they roll out the gold carriage for him, causing a massive security headache.

My honest first reaction to this is I hope you told him to go f*** himself.

Hope they make him make due with the pumpkin carriage.

Relaterad bild

• Like 3

Gigantic British Moon at Trump on his State visit.

Let's give Trump the only welcome his State visit deserves with a great British tradition. He can wave at our butts and only our butts as he fulfils his dream of riding down The Mall in the golden State carriage. It's been too long, people. Now is the moment for a collective national moon. Date to be announced!

A Facebook group to 'get behind' :D

• Like 2

Â