U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

It's not my best subject (or one I even claim to know about) but from my understanding the US hasn't exactly been a force for good. 

The alternatives are Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, Fascism, Blood Letting Anarchy.

I'd run with the U.S. based on that list.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

The alternatives are Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, Fascism, Blood Letting Anarchy.

To bastardise Churchill, the US is the worst country to run the world, except for all the others.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I meant down to the many veto's that have supported Israeli interests. Obama was no saint here and did the 'right' thing (according to opinion) when he was leaving office.
As I said it's not a subject I am massively knowledgeable about. I started my knowledge about a decade ago with Chomsky speeches but unlike housebuilding, welfate etc I don't work in that field so I only have a by-standers knowledge.

I think this is an interesting piece by Chomsky, though as I've got older I realise he isn't an answer man but an information man. And it's his information so I'm not saying his word gospel.

Edited by limpid
fixed embed

6 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

I meant down to the many veto's that have supported Israeli interests. Obama was no saint here and did the 'right' thing (according to opinion) when he was leaving office.

Yes, I think I understood what you meant and the context.
My point (on Israel, or the middle east, or the world) was that whilst the U.S. haven’t exactly covered themselves in glory here, what are the alternatives? Do we all take a step back and let the region fight it out? Do we let the likes of the Saudi’s or whoever fund their pet terrorists for more proxy wars, then at some point the Russians can arrive and carpet bomb the Palestinians on to the endangered species list? Do we leave a vacuum everywhere difficult that the Chinese can fill with their sense of what justice means? The hawkish bullying side of Israel, without some thought that other nations might act, could go pretty close to the 1930’s sort of solution to the ‘Palestinian problem’. 

Of course, the ideal solution is that a just and righteous U.S. lays down a fair set of rules that gets people of every colour across the middle east to meet up on a hill and sing the coca cola song. They all realise they are all just people, have a big hug and get along great. That would be my first pick. As long as our arms exports don’t suffer. But I’ve presumed that isn’t going to happen when I’ve looked at the alternatives.

• Like 1

Yet his supporters are still calling everyone cucks and worshipping their god emperor.

I don't think there's ever been such a divide between the public, or such widespread delusion in modern politics. How do you section tens of millions of people?

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It seems that the rally is being organized by his re-election campaign so yes, this looks like the beginning of Trump's run for 2020.

His first term will be a never ending campaign. His candidacy is in already, his popularity figures are laughable so he'll feel the urge to keep trying to win people, and his ego will desperately want to kill the 'lost the popular vote' plot, and it's the only thing he's been any good at, because it requires absolutely no substance.

• Like 1

it's all incredibly intentional. Completely undermining outlets that oppose his authority whilst rabidly fostering a clan of cultists psychopaths as followers. He is their god amongst men and he's embedding that message day in day out so firmly, that these weirdos will hear absolutely nothing against him, indeed they will be psychologically committed to him, that the level of information needed to break their spell would be like convincing a religious person about the fact of evolution. Impervious to facts, logic or reason, these demented tragedies have their hero

Im catching up with this news conference and he's literally just talking about himself.............In the third person obviously.

He knows whats good and bad now apparently

He knows whats good

He knows whats bad

"Lots of things are done with Uranium..........including some bad things."

giphy.gif

Crikey, I had hoped once the reality of governance kicked in Trump would realise that he isn't above the law and can't just do what he wants.

Don't get me wrong, the American press is as dirty as ours, but not for the reasons he gives which is essentially 'They don't agree with me'.

What a word removed.

Â