Villa Lose Again – Something We Need To Get Used To

JohnCresswell

Villa 0 Manchester United 3

FA Barclays Premiership

Villa Park

Another game, another loss. Before anyone reads any further, I guess I need to make it clear that of course, I know we were playing Manchester United, and of course, I never expected anything other than a loss, but there are key things which Villa need to address, and fast.

The game itself wasn’t great. Villa battled and contained Manchester United for the first half an hour or so, but it seemed that the players, as did the fans and anyone else at that stadium today knew what was coming, and was just waiting for that first Manchester United goal.

Villa may have held possession well at times, but they never, ever looked like scoring. Shots ballooned high and wide from outside the box, yes, but that was about it. Manchester United’s class shone through with three goals completely baffling the defence. The first came after a mess up by Hughes on the half way line, the second a sublime goal from Paul Scholes and the third an awful defensive mix up which had goalkeeper Kiraly claiming was offside.

Right then, that’s the match report over with. This was the last home game of the year, and with another loss Villa now haven’t won in seven games. With Spurs away next, it’s unlikely that three points will be coming, meaning that the Charlton game is a must win, seeing as we have Manchester United away and Chelsea at home after that.

Manchester United today showed how much work there is to be done at Villa if the team are going to have any hopes of reaching a European competition in the next few years. If we are to continue this rigid 442 that O’Neill appears to want to play, then changes will need to be made. Barry is missed in midfield, our play is significantly poorer with him at left back. Aaron Hughes is also no first team regular. I know he was brought in as a squad player for when cripple Mark Delaney isn’t available, but he isn’t good enough and if O’Neill does not rate Bouma then it means two new full backs are needed as soon as possible.

Up front, Villa are toothless. Agbonlahor rarely beats his man. Yes, he is exciting to watch run – but if he doesn’t beat his man, or puts in a final ball as poor as he has been – what’s the point? Villa lack a goalscorer or two. Without anyone scoring goals we are going into games not knowing who to look to put the ball in the back of the net. We need proven strikers. Good players. Not potentially good players, but players who are good in the top flight now.

We are led to believe O’Neill has money to spend. It is up to him to spend it wisely. The pressure is on – with Agathe out of the picture, Sutton only managing to last 60 minutes it seems and Petrov had another rather poor game again. The manager needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat – especially with the hard games we have over Christmas – as we could find ourselves on the wrong side of the table.

Dont agree VB for the simple reason that a squad will rarely be able to attract the better players needed unless there are signs that things are improving. MON comes with a reputation borne out by many on here that he is a great motivator. In the cold light of day looking back at a lot of the matches this season - and I have only seen today's via TV pictures - the performances have been iffy at times and we have scraped results. This may be due to the quality of the squad, something the past manager and players talked about in the press but were derided for being negative. It may be down to bad luck, or it may be that the manager hasn't, yet, got to really understanding what this job is about.

The changes needed in the squad, called for by many for a long time, have to arrive in January. This is now a very bad run and one that could see us plummet down the table. I have faith in MON because of his past record and it would seem that the management team behind the scenes support him, but the honeymoon period is well and truly over and if things don't improve soon then people will start to want their presents back. The pressure is now certainly on MON

theres a theme occuring on this website which is starting to concern me, and that is the insistance that O'neill is under preasure, while it may partly be true. he hasn't been able to do alot in terms of personnel, for me i'd like to give him a season or two before suggesting the preasure is on.

the man is using the personel that we've been largely told were under achieving last season, perhaps the harsh truth is that the players we have jst aren't that good. is there for all to see we need a couple of quality full backs, along with at least a centre forward with probably a couple of wingers in there for good measure too.

Until we're signed such players i'm well and truely reserving judgement. i think a few other should too.

MON's a victim of his own success on this site

i think some people thought that we had a good team and it was just DOL's bad management that we were so poor, but i was looking on MOTD at our team, and it really is poor.

i will properly judge MON when he has his players, and he is playing the way he wants to and is able to.

if we have a frustrating january when MON can't bring in who he wants then MON should be properly judged next season, when hes had chance to bring players in.

O'neil had better not be under any pressure.

If we're going to contend we need this as our 4 player midfield:

Barry McCann Petrov SWP.....period.

Hughes is not good enough, Gabby up front and let the contention begin amongst: Baros, Angel, Sutton, Moore.

I almost like Melberg on the right when we've got Ridgewell and Laursen in the middle.

If you build O'Neil up to be the messiah you'll only be disappointed if the existing team lets you down. There's too much negativity. Sure, we really do need a quality striker but they're useless if your forward movement consists solely of panicky long balls. Midfield should've played alot better against man u. We just needed to maintain posession a bit longer and for god sake get a little creative.

Great defensive work in the first half. Hats off. And no-one could've stopped that freak volley from Scholes. bastard. But come on, stick a leg out and block Ronaldo's first goal please! We shyed away from it- unacceptable. Ronaldo was offside for that last goal- but that was a great counter.

We should NOT accept a loss against man u at home. I'd feel ill if I knew some one pulling the crimson and blue on was resigned to the fact that they were going to lose, especially at HOME. Come on VILLA we want WINS.

Thank heavens MON has got Randy cos I feel without him we're going the same way as we were under DOL. The first team is ok, the squad is not, the evidence is now overwhelming and cannot be ignored. As the weeks pass I feel more and more vindicated for what I was saying last season about Ellis and his lack of investement to improve the the squad, but I take no pleasure in it, this is not point scoring.

IF we intend to keep to a 4-4-2,

we need wingers who will put dangerous crosses in and/or run at defenders at pace on a consistent basis. One on either side.

We need a CB with experience and calmness to organise a defence, Ridge can be sold AFAIC. Hughes can stay, for now. And that will be it for January.

Gareth Barry will stay LB, that is where MON will keep him if he can, I'm absolutely convinced of that now. Therefore a LB will not be on MON's shopping list now or in the summer, GB is our LB now and I'm happy. (although Gareth Bale greatly impresses me). Besides a Barry Petrov CM? I dont think that would work.

We DON'T need a new striker just now, but one would be nice in the summer along with a quality DM'er and RB. I feel MON might buy one if he can in January, however this will be a mistake if we have no wingers, unless of course he chooses his man wisely.

This is not a so much prediction of what MON will do, but rather what I think we need to play 4-4-2 based on my analysis of our performances. I'm usually right on these things *finishes blowing own trumpet* :winkold:

Agree entirely with Bazdavies re Gareth Barry. Yesterday showed that he will be our left back for the future. MON has gone on record as saying we need more pace in the team. Gareth will stay there and a fast left winger will be one of the additions, hopefully in January.

Manure were at their most dangerous yesterday when we were attacking, as they knew once they received the ball a couple of quick passes and Ronaldo, Giggs or Saha were free to run at our defence and put us on the back foot. We do not have anyone who can run with the ball, Gabby can run after it but not with it.

anyone notice who wasn't picked to play

Bouma, Angel, Baros.

we had Davis, acknowledged by all apart from the nintendo crowd here, as one of the best players last season on the left wing, Barry acknowledged even by the nintendo crowd as our best player at left back and a forward line headed by an injured partly fit old man, and a kid who is being ruined and overworked whilst he's still learning, the only player to play every minute all season.

Â