• The Times
    • Daily Mail
    • Daily Express
    • The Sun
    • Evening Mail
    • Telegraph
    • The Mirror
    • Other

Noticed the Daily Mail getting a bashing in the other thread, and rightly so if you ask me, so I was wondering what newspaper you read if given the choice.

Personally it's the Guardian, mainly because my parents always bought it so I just carried on when I got to uni, good sports section, fairly reasonable views expressed as far as I'm concerned and just generally a good paper.

Being a student the Sun sometimes gets bought by someone in the house so I read that as well, but mainly for the sport section. So what's your newspaper of choice?

Im a lefty guardian reader, though i do see most newspapers at work because commuters tend to leave them about so they end up being donated to the staff room.

The Guardian has a good news section, politics i (kinda) agree with, G2 can be an entertaining read and the sport section is very good. The music and reviews section is second to none.

I have been known to purchase theSun if i just want a quick glance at last nights football reviews and a look at the tits on page 3, but i will go with a broadsheet if i actually want to read a paper for an hour or so.

Having said that, on a monday The Times does the best football section of all, The Game and its worth the price of the paper for that alone. The Game is also responsible for a truly excellent podcast which you can listen to here

None, they are a very poor way of being informed.

But surely every source of information is just as poor? If you read enough you get a wide range of opinions, don't tell me you've found a source of information that is totally unbiased and is a fantastic way of informing you about everything?

And don't say the internet, because a lot of the news content you read on here comes from those very newspapers.

Guest RantinRob

Same here - you didn't put an option for "none"

I haven't bought a newspaper regularly for over 15 years

But surely every source of information is just as poor? If you read enough you get a wide range of opinions, don't tell me you've found a source of information that is totally unbiased and is a fantastic way of informing you about everything?

And don't say the internet, because a lot of the news content you read on here comes from those very newspapers.

Newspapers have editorial standpoints, usually mirroring the owners political leanings. I criticise the BBC a lot on here, but even with their slant they are are still the best news source.

Sorry, too late to change it now, edit won't let me change the poll. I did say your newspaper of choice, not the one you buy regularly, so if you ever buy one, which one is it.

They (proper papers, not comics) are a very good way of being informed, IMO.

They're portable, contain news and analysis, opinon, images, cover a wide range of subjects, both national and international.

Some of, if not most of, the best journalists writ for national papers. They often challenge the orthodoxy of whoever is in power in way that TV and radio doesn't, and they are better edited than lot of the internet.

And the Guardian has a typeface hand crafted by a Villan of some repute.

Papers are great.

The Metro mostly, as I can't be bothered to pay for one on the train each day.

On Saturdays mainly The Guardian, because the sports section is excellent, "the Guide" is the best media/TV thing available (either free or purchased) and the quiz in the magazine is the most challenging thing you'll find for your brain on a Saturday morning.

Normally end up throwing the rest of the thing away though.

I read British newspapers online on a daily basis:

The Guardian for me. I generally agree with their views, and quite like their style.

I also like the Observer or the Independent.

They (proper papers, not comics) are a very good way of being informed, IMO.

They're portable, contain news and analysis, opinon, images, cover a wide range of subjects, both national and international.

Some of, if not most of, the best journalists writ for national papers. They often challenge the orthodoxy of whoever is in power in way that TV and radio doesn't, and they are better edited than lot of the internet.

And the Guardian has a typeface hand crafted by a Villan of some repute.

Papers are great.

This is all true.

The TV only tells you the bits that suit.

The internet will only answer questions that you ask.

Newspapers are the most important tool in a free-speech based society. First the establishment outlawed them, then the establishment tried to tax them out of business till they went underground and facing defeat the establishment bought the papers out.

The media in general is going through a period of extensive consolidation that damages the product, centralises ownership and weakens free speech.

It's happening in TV - NTL going after itv and sky blocking it. We have 57,912 channels and three operators.

It's killed local news reporting - three groups own 95+% of the local newspaper market - the evening mail shows how far standards have fallen - it is often no better than the free bromsgrove advertiser used to be. Stories of inconsequence and a severe lack of news local or national.

The radio industry is also on its way to decimation. Local radio now consists of heartfm and galaxy trash.

The communications act of 1987 liberated the markets and the act of 2003 introduced further deregulation and loosening on rules of conglomeration and cross-ownership. Instead of increasing variety and both acts saw an decrease in diversity of ownership with a few companies dominating the stage and increase in market share for the bbc.

The response of the industry to this failure to compete is to call for a reduction in the remit of the bbc. The response of the regulator is to call for further deregulation of the market - the policy that created the mess in the first place.

Sorry, did I go a bit off topic there?

Whats depressing is how papers that were once worth something have become crap. The Daily Telegraph and The Times were once worth something. Now they are shite. But the biscuit has to be the Sunday Times. That paper was something once, now its dreadful. I like the New York Times alot, and of the course the Gruinad.

Â