Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

A 3-1 away win in December, denting the Top 4 hopes of a side that was expected to give the Villa a thrashing by many pundits. The result against Liverpool this weekend is reminiscent of our win last December at Stamford Bridge, where Ireland, Petrov and Bent dealt the damage following a good opening spell from the European Champions.

With their FIFA World Club Championship game today (playing a full-strength team), a long flight home from Japan and their League Cup Quarter-Final on Wednesday, it will be interesting to see whether Chelsea take the League Cup seriously or rest their key players for the tie with Leeds.

This could turn out to be a win/win situation for Villa; if Benitez opts to rest his players on Wednesday, it is probable that Leeds could snatch a win, leading to an easier draw for Villa in the Cup. If Benitez decides not to rest his key players, the slick counter-attacking football we have seen at Anfield and Carrow Road this week could be replicated against a tired Chelsea side.

The Young Lions will be no doubt be buzzing with confidence following their continued cup efforts and unbeaten league form, and any slack from Chelsea will most probably be punished by the flourishing partnership of Benteke and Weimann.

The togetherness being shown from our lads is excellent, but it isn't much of a shock being as 6 of our starting 11 against Liverpool have played together for many seasons as part of our youth set up. Add to this the technical ability of Christian Benteke, the non-stop defensive efforts of Matt Lowton as well as the consistent level of passing from Ashley Westwood, and it isn't too farfetched to believe our current unbeaten run could continue.

Of course, if Benitez fields his best men they will very hard to beat, especially at Stamford Bridge, and many of the Villa faithful would probably be happy with simply getting another point on the table.

I personally will not be making a prediction until after Wednesday, but I have no doubt in my mind that we can take it to Chelsea and come home with a win, just like we can against any other team.

Up the Villa and lets get some more points!

• Like 1

Watching the Chelsea game now and they look beyond tired already. I don't even think resting them on Wednesday will help them out next weekend as they have played more matches in the last week than most teams play in a month. I really think Villa are poised to take advantage of this situation, I'm looking forward to it.

Poor display really from Chelsea, trying and trying but unable to break down the defence and take their chances, similar to Liverpool yesterday. I don't think they will be fired up, they hardly look interested and Torres looked quite sulky again, Ramires is a shadow of what we saw of him last season.

We now must wait to see how the Leeds match goes, but those players look knackered and they won't even be back in the country until Tuesday.

I remember celebrating like a madman in the same fixture last year and thought we've really turned a corner. Of course it was just a false dawn under McLeish. A win this time around though, and I'll have real confidence that we're onto something special this year.

Much like against Liverpool at Anfield, perhaps even more so, any kind of point at Stamford Bridge should be seen as a very successful trip.

Many Liverpool fans thought our midweek game against Norwich would tire us and be in their favour but that wasn't the case. Like previously mentioned, it'll be interesting to see what their lineup is like midweek.