How many countries have you been to?

Xela

Holland (does the airport only count?)

Switzerland (as above)

Canaries

Airports don't count...Unless you clear customs and stand outside the airport! I tried to count Ireland (was at Shannon airport) but until I actually visited Dublin, I couldn't tick it off.

Canaries aren't a country... just a part of Spain.

Airports don't count...Unless you clear customs and stand outside the airport! I tried to count Ireland (was at Shannon airport) but until I actually visited Dublin, I couldn't tick it off.

Canaries aren't a country... just a part of Spain.

Thought as much on both counts, but worth a try!!

England, Ireland, Wales, Spain, France, Malta (worst country I've been to, its just like a big old peoples home) , turkey, Greece.

Just 8, but I'm hoping to add Belgium, germany and Bulgaria next year.

England

Wales

Northern Ireland

Ireland

France

Spain

Germany

Netherlands

Denmark

Sweden

Portugal

Italy

Vatican

Malta

Finland

Lithuania

Latvia

Estonia

Poland

Czech Republic

Cyprus

Yugoslavia (pre war but areas I went are now Croatia & Bosnia)

USA

Egypt

Thailand

Cambodia

Vietnam

Malaysia (both Peninsular & Borneo)

Indonesia

Philippines

Hong Kong

Singapore

• Like 1

England

Wales

Northern Ireland

Ireland

France

Spain

Germany

Netherlands

Denmark

Sweden

Portugal

Italy

Vatican

Malta

Finland

Lithuania

Latvia

Estonia

Poland

Czech Republic

Cyprus

Yugoslavia (pre war but areas I went are now Croatia & Bosnia)

USA

Egypt

Thailand

Cambodia

Vietnam

Malaysia (both Peninsular & Borneo)

Indonesia

Philippines

Hong Kong

Singapore

Impressive list

Australia

Austria

American Samoa

Belgium

Bahrain

Bulgaria

Barbados

Brunei Daruasalem

Cuba

Cambodia

China

Croatia

Czech Republic

Djibouti

Denmark

Ethiopia

Egypt

Ecuador

Estonia

England :-)

Finland

Fiji

France

Germany

Gambia

Greece

Hungary

Hong Kong

Italy

India

Ireland

Jamaica

Jordan

Japan

( all the J countries :-) )

Kenya

Korea , democratic people's republic ( north to most)

Korea , republic of ( south to most )

Kuwait ( will technically I'm going there in 2 days time )

Luxembourg

Lao

Latvia

Lebanon

Mauritius

Mexico

Malaysia

Myanmar (Burma to some)

Mongolia

Morocco

Nepal

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway

Oman

Peru

Poland

Portugal

Philippines

Qatar ( I'm here right now as I type this whilst the kids are sleeping :-) )

Russia

Syria

St. Lucia

Sweden

Switzerland

San Marino

Samoa

Singapore

Slovenia

Slovakia

Spain

Scotland

Taiwan

Tonga

Tibet ( though technically china )

Thailand

Tanzania

Turkey

Trinidad and Tobago

Tunisia

Turks and Caicos

United States of America

United Arab Emirates

Vietnam

Vatican City

Wales

Zanzibar (ok technically it Tanzania but I needed a Z :-) )

Might have missed a couple as I'm working from memory

Edited by tonyh29

Australia

Austria

American Samoa

Belgium

Bahrain

Bulgaria

Barbados

Brunei Daruasalem

Cuba

Cambodia

China

Croatia

Czech Republic

Djibouti

Denmark

Ethiopia

Egypt

Ecuador

Estonia

England :-)

Finland

Fiji

France

Germany

Gambia

Greece

Hungary

Hong Kong

Italy

India

Ireland

Jamaica

Jordan

Japan

( all the J countries :-) )

Kenya

Korea , democratic people's republic ( north to most)

Korea , republic of ( south to most )

Kuwait ( will technically I'm going there in 2 days time )

Luxembourg

Lao

Latvia

Lebanon

Mauritius

Mexico

Malaysia

Myanmar (Burma to some)

Mongolia

Morocco

Nepal

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway

Oman

Peru

Poland

Portugal

Philippines

Qatar ( I'm here right now as I type this whilst the kids are sleeping :-) )

Russia

Syria

St. Lucia

Sweden

Switzerland

San Marino

Samoa

Singapore

Slovenia

Slovakia

Spain

Scotland

Taiwan

Tonga

Tibet ( though technically china )

Thailand

Tanzania

Turkey

Trinidad and Tobago

Tunisia

Turks and Caicos

United States of America

United Arab Emirates

Vietnam

Vatican City

Wales

Zanzibar (ok technically it Tanzania but I needed a Z :-) )

Might have missed a couple as I'm working from memory

You seriously been to all those?? If so holy crap!! Do you not have a residence anywhere and are just perpetually travelling?

Yep done all those mostly intentionally :-) plan was to visit every country in the world .. I still might but in most likelihood when I get to 100 i'll ease off and have relaxing holidays instead :-)

I.e I'm in Qatar on Hols with the family but as Kuwait is only a 90 min flight away I'm off there for a day trip in a couple of days time ( added bonus is I should get to fly on a Dreamliner and see what they are like )

I'm hoping to add Peru and Norway next year. Not sure where else yet. Maybe Brazil.

You should consider to go to Denmark and then take the ferry to Oslo.

11 countries, just below average.

I have visited

Denmark

Sweden

Norway

Germany

Holland

Belgium

Luxemburg

France

Switzerland

Italy

UK

For me, its not about the quantity of places, its the quality of time spent in each. Would be interested, for example, in how long @tonyh29 spends on average in each country. 86 in ten years is a lot of travelling, (im very jealous!), but id imagine a decent percentage is short stays in each. Personally, i'd rather immerse myself as fully as possible in one country for a month, than visit multiple places but not really learn anything. Horses for courses of course, everyone is different.

(Ive visited 29, but that includes my post-College gap year. Next up, hopefully, Mother Russia...)

It's a discussion that often comes up and i posted one or two of my itineraries on here before and accept its not for everyone ....I think the only time I missed something that id have liked to have seen was at Amritsar where we didnt know about the border ceremony until after we'd visited ( the golden temple , during a holy festival as it turned out so we were the only 2 white faces amongst tens of thousands , was an amazing experience , you won't find friendlier people than Sikh's I'm sure of it )

But if you take somewhere like Agra for example , how long do you want / need to spend there ? I've known people spend days there but basically you rock up late morning have a guided tour of the red fort and then cross over to the Taj and have a tour and wait inside it to see it at sunset .... Go have a few beers , wake up at 5 am next morning load your bags into the car , get back over to the taj and see it at sunrise ( it reflects the light differently ) then on you toes around 7 and on to the next town .... Rathambone in my case and tiger safari .... Unless someone wants to count every brick they won't see anything there that I won't have !!

Galapagos isles I saw penguins , a turtle giving birth on a beach , swam with sea lions and marine iguanas , got attacked by a hungry pelican , stroked lonesome George and even snorkeled with a couple of black tip sharks ... I saw just about every animal type they have there (certainly the main ones and the ones i wanted , im aware there may have been an insect or 2 i missed :-) ) in my 2.5 days there ... Why spend 7, 14 or 20 days there when you can carry on with the trip and catch a few flights to Angel falls instead as we did , and spend the night in hammocks right next to it (its an amazing sight to create you at dawn as the clouds part :-) )

Tonga we spent a day on the mainland (dull tbh ) flew up to vava'u swam with a 9 humpback whales used our back up day ( who says we dont take our time :-) )cycling around the island then carried on with the journey by heading over to Fiji to scuba dive with tiger sharks (granted we did get delayed and landed at 5am and I was in the water at 9am but i got my tiger shark encounter and a nice video to go with it :-) We even managing to then celebrate my 40th in Auckland with a heavy session got up early in the morning and did the harbour cruise before catching the flight to Apia across the dateline where I was 39 again when I landed so I could go out to celebrate turning 40 again (it was the only flight that made it possible for me to fit it in and Somoa has now moved itslef in front of the date line so its not possible anymore :-) ).. Interesting island very pretty and we even Climbed a bloody great hill in the scorching heat to see Robert Louis Stephenson's tomb ( you see , we do our homework :-) )

Anyhow you get the idea :-) we see and do a lot , we don't just fly into somewhere spend 5 mins outside the airport and turn around and leave

The trick is in the planning , I spend months putting a trip together where I can optimise planes / trains and automobiles to get all the sights my mate and I want to see and move on ...

It's knackering I grant you that but the quality is there 100% you just power up on beer and power naps :-) or in the case of Ulaanbater to Beijing train you make the most of the 36 hours of rest

You may immerse yourself in a country and its people and fair play to you for that , but tbh we meet countless back backers on our journeys who it seems can't wait to find the nearest bar full of other back packers in what ever hip bar lonely planet is pimping ... So you may be more unique in that regard , I'd say the only difference between me and the backpackers I encounter is I don't have a guitar strapped to my back , I'm not wearing beads and I flew in rather than spending 78 hours on a local bus full of chickens and other livestock ( I did the Kathmandu to pokhara journey like this once and never again , 11 hours when I could have flown it in 40 mins , i know i had altitude sickness and it affected my judgement but I must have been bonkers !! )

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Impressive list

Cheers... then Tony posted his list and it shit on mine :)

Aiming to hit 50 countries by end of 2014... gives me 24 months to do 18 countries.

• Like 1

For me, its not about the quantity of places, its the quality of time spent in each. Would be interested, for example, in how long @tonyh29 spends on average in each country. 86 in ten years is a lot of travelling, (im very jealous!), but id imagine a decent percentage is short stays in each. Personally, i'd rather immerse myself as fully as possible in one country for a month, than visit multiple places but not really learn anything. Horses for courses of course, everyone is different.

(Ive visited 29, but that includes my post-College gap year. Next up, hopefully, Mother Russia...)

Certainly from my perspective, I'm not as hardcore as Tony is, but I agree with his sentiments in that some places only need a couple of days. What is the point of going to Finland or Latvia for a month? The highlights as it was can be done in a few days.Sure, I'm probably missing something but nothing that is going to cause me regret. The places I have really enjoyed, like Thailand for example, I have spent longer there (about a month in total).

England

Wales

ROI

France

Italy

Vatican City

Greece

Macedonia

Cyprus

Portugal

Canada

Mexico

Got New York to look forward to this year and my gf and I are planning a three week trip to India, woop woop!!

Edited by Tayls

Here Goes:

Argentina (albeit one Day)

Brazil

Croatia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Grenada

Hong Kong

Iceland