What's the album that is the constant in your life?

Hurdy

For some reason or other, I decided to listen to Billy Joel's studio output in chronological order (though I was too lazy to order each album in track order), and when River of Dreams came on, it struck me how much I remembered note for note even though I probably haven't listened to the album in at least 15 years.

So in some sense, that album has been a constant for all that time because I don't have to put it on: I've just been wasting my brain cells remembering every detail of that album.

I think all of mine have been mentioned.

Hatful of Hollow -The Smiths

Whatever people say I am that's what I'm not - Arctic Monkeys

Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age.

Those three go everywhere. Every iPod refresh, they're in regardless. Every playlist I create there's a song from one of them in it even if it doesn't quite fit and when I'm struggling to find something I want to listen to they're the go to albums. Especially the Arctic's debut. I've got a very varied and eclectic taste, but I love it's simplicity, it's rawness.

Hard to narrow it own to one, it really is. It'd have to be one from the following three:

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

Spearmint - A Week Away

I think if push came to shove, I'd have to go with Belle and Sebastian. That album had a massive influence on my life at the time, and no, not just a penchant for cardigans.

the-jam-in-the-city-front.jpgfuzzy_logic.jpg114869493.jpg

with Small Faces edging it on duration / longevity, Furries edging it on social side and gigs, Jam taking it on life changing momentus first realisation music could be cool

smugly, I have really early pressings of all three

129879167_amazoncom-civil-disobedients-capdown-music.jpg

is the closest I can think of. There are albums that changed my taste in music significantly more than civ dis, but this is one of the only albums from around ages 12-16 that i have listened to in the last few years, I reckon. So it wins.

Kate Bush is one of those "I feel I ought to like her but I just don't get it" artists for me.

Have you heard any of "Aerial", Mike ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7U1F-E9KLU

or "50 Words for Snow"

Because they're a different side of her, maybe to the Hounds of Love type stuff. They might even connect with your classical-liking side

Funnily enough, I've been having that very debate this week with other Hendrix fans. Most of them agree with you. But - while I agree that Axis is brilliant - I personally prefer Ladyland.

I think electric Ladyland is a great album stretched over two. If he'd released:

Crosstown Traffic

1983...a Merman I Should Turn to Be

Long Hot Summer Night

Come On (part 1)

Gypsy Eyes

Burning of the Midnight Lamp

House Burning Down

All Along the Watchtower

Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)

It would have been much better.

Â