Villa managers

_m8

Who has been Villas best manager in the Premiership?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been Villas best manager in the Premiership?

• Ron Atkinson
    • Brian Little
    • John Gregory
    • Graham Taylor
    • David O'Leary

Graham Taylor saved this club from plummeting the leagues back in the late 80's then very nearly won us the Championship. How on earth can fans rate the likes of Little, Gregory and O'Leary higher than him??

The mind boggles! :?

Because the question specifically regards the Premiership.

Graham Taylor saved this club from plummeting the leagues back in the late 80's then very nearly won us the Championship. How on earth can fans rate the likes of Little, Gregory and O'Leary higher than him??

The mind boggles! :?

Because the question specifically regards the Premiership.

I'll wear my reading glasses next time. :oops:

Very tough to decide between Big Ron and Brian Little..but i think i'm just edging for Big Ron.

Still remember when we got to the FA Cup Final under Gregory i think, and during the build up to the game the BBC interviewed Ellis. He was saying how this was a new start for Villa and how ambitious we were and how we were going to be challenging for this and that...lying F#ck!

Anyway, i digress..

Big Ron for me

With Brian Little not to far behind! ;)

How does GT have 2 votes? Are there some closet Noses here?

I think arguments could be made for the other 4, but in the end I voted for Little, because after all he does walk on water

i think he gets 2 votes cos his first spell was brilliant, second in league then England take him off us, it rarely works when some 1 has a second spell

Hope you don't mind me dragging up an old thread, but I wonder how Martin O'Neill would rank amongst these?

simple for me

the number one

OK Little and BFR wo a trophy but MON is building an empire for the long term, I can say with upmost confidence the three year cycle has been broken

How does GT have 2 votes? Are there some closet Noses here?

I think arguments could be made for the other 4, but in the end I voted for Little, because after all he does walk on water

I think they may be confusing his first term with his second, but if his first term was included in this poll he'd be my number one choice because he did more for Villa than any other manager since. How he managed to turn around the sinking ship that was Aston Villa, get us promoted with a bunch of journey men (with a couple of gems as well) and turn us into title challengers was beyond me.

He's a Villa legend and always will be because of what he did for us, I just wish he hadn't of blotted his copy book when he came back for the second time, but still who in their right mind would turn down the Villa job if offered?

I echo your sentiments entirely..... It didn't work out second time around and i think Graham took the job out of sentiment and duty to a club he is very fond of ( fact)

Graham Taylor took charge of Villa ( first time) at a critical point in our history and he made a significant mark.... and should always be remembered fondly by the faithful.

ps but i voted for BL

comapring GT MkI to MK II is simply unfair

however the great what If question is if he never took the job would Ellis have been **** for the next manager in the face of growing protests ?

Could the next manager have been worse because no one at that time of any repute would have took the job

Very good thread and interesting question.

BRF and SBL are interlinked imo, both won a league cup, both got us excellent league finishes, both had us playing some great football and both got us some good european scalps. And both departed disappointedly.

Bit harsh to judge Taylor just on his season back but he should never have returned that was quite clear.

Gregory did alright tbh but did spend a lot of money and we were still players short and you never got the impression he'd push us the extra couple of places forward.

O'Leary. Meh. Started off well but got much worse. That's my diplomatic answer!

On MON, very impressive rebuilding of the club so far and only at the start of his third season so still quite early on. Being greedy though and given what Mon has achieved at his other clubs, I want a trophy from him and a high league finish (could be this season).

O'Leary. Meh. Started off well but got much worse. That's my diplomatic answer!

and the poll is after 18 months of DOL - pretty much exactly where it went all wrong - the decline in that second half was so frustrating.

Graham Taylor took charge of Villa ( first time) at a critical point in our history and he made a significant mark.... and should always be remembered fondly by the faithful.

ps but i voted for BL

As did I

Â