Villa managers

_m8

Who has been Villas best manager in the Premiership?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been Villas best manager in the Premiership?

• Ron Atkinson
    • Brian Little
    • John Gregory
    • Graham Taylor
    • David O'Leary

well that surprised me , i though DOL would walk it given feelings for him on this site

1st BFR ..last time we played proper football

2nd BL introduced the 5-3-2 system that seems to have been our decline for many years ..but over achieved with what he had ..until he lost the plot

3rd JG think people under rate him ..his "loss"record under villa is comparable to Ron Suanders , and this was in an era where Man U & Arsenal were dominating football ... was tempted to give him first for the Timewarp comments , not to mention the Dorothy perkins joke aimed at Bosnich

4th DOL - football has been good at times , put the bad games are far outweighing the good ones ... trying to prove he's not a cheque book mangager but is now starting to find out that GT really did destroy our club and is in urgent need of some money.. this is season 2 , lets judge him at season 4 as he should have made his mark on the club by then

5th GT - saviour first time around ..but the destroyer the second time around ...tried too hard to distance himself from anything JG and destroyed the soul of the club ...and wasted 9m on players least we forget , in a time when some amazing talent could be brought for far far less

more facts than lies though ... over the end of the season he took charge and the beginning of the next season i think he lost about 2 games out of 30 ..DOL did a similar thing last season and until recently had a very good "loss "ratio ..turning GT's pile of Pooh into a top 6 finish didn't get DOL a trophy so that makes DOL a failure in your eyes as well ?

sure you can't compare eras with football , but do you think RS could win the championship with 14 players now ..how does our championship winning side compare with Arsenals unbeaten side last season for example ??

Close thing but have to go with Brian Little, just the opening day of 95/96 when we stuffed Man Utd 3-1 still sticks vividly in the memory. Built a consistently good side once he imposed himself on the job, too bad Doug got involved again. Also a big fan of Big Ron had a great personality, also I recently finished reading his autobiography its great. His opinion on Doug is obvious. Gregory was a good manager at the time but in the long run bought some howlers which give Doug his excuse once again. He did buy some good players as well though in Angel, Mellberg and Boateng. O'Leary has only been in the job around 1 and half seasons so cant judge him yet, if he makes Doug pop his cloggs or open the wallet it will be a heaven sent.

It's a hard one this, big Ron did very well, back when the Prem was a bit more of a level playing field. After our 2-0 win against Sheffield Wednesday, I was fully convinced that we were going to be champions. I think he just shades it over Sir Brian, as some of the football we played under Ron was truly outstanding.

Sir Brian is a very, very close second though.

Here are their pts per game records as managers in the Premiership, taken from http://www.astonvilla-mad.co.uk Makes interesting reading:

BFR: 141 points from 98 games = 48%

Brian Little: 182 points from 120 games = 51%

John Gregory: 231 points from 148 games = 52%

Graham Taylor: 58 points from 51 games = 38%

David O'Leary: 84 points from 60 games = 47%

These stats would suggest that John Gregory was actually our best manager. What do you know eh? Close run thing though, with Little 2nd, Atkinson 3rd, DOL 4th and GT 5th.

I've already voted for BL but I've got to say BFR's team was the best in terms of the football we played, but this was in a time before the huge influx of foreign players hit our shores and changed the English game totally.

BL had a much harder job on his hands, dealing with foreign players and the huge increase in the standard of opposition that bought with it and he did it well.

It all goes back to the argument of whether you'd prefer to watch entertaining football and be excited at the prospect of watching your team play, or whether you'd want to watch crap every week but win something.

But what happens if you watched a lot of crap; didn’t lose tht much, but didn’t won a trophy?

then you were watching a lot of Villa games during the Gregster era.

beats playing crap and losing all the time as well, whiih was the Taylor MK11 era.

he's got 4 votes BTW. What the hell is going on :shock:

Â