Playstation 4

hogso

looked good, dont think i'll use most of the invite stuff but it certainly got me interested, E3 will be huge, think they knew what they were doing, showed you enough to get it out there and get people excited without playing their hand, assuming the box isnt fully designed

excited about a new FF, hopefully new exclusives, they showed 3/4? i need to see about 6/7 and some launch titles

the only video i could find that was watchable had commentary and they keep on going on about valve and steam box and say that would have been the biggest coup, also saying that blizzard might just be opening the door, mentioned stuff about sonys 4k tvs which i know nothing about tbh, and they didnt say anything about blu ray, really pushed the online stuff instead

I thought Blizzard might have came up with something original for the PS4. Maybe it is just a door opener, but Diablo 3, really? Personally, i didn't think Diablo 3 was all that good.

Anyway, some decent stuff being shown off. Really liked the streaming idea where you can take over your friends game from your console and help them out or just watch them playing games.

Edited by Daniel

Looks like a serious piece of kit. Seems like lots of negativity around because they didn't physically show the machine, but the press conference wasn't to reveal everything. Thought it was ok. I'm glad that actual games were the focus point and it looks like it'll be a very healthy gaming machine and not some shitty social network machine or something. 

They showed more real time game footage than I thought, Watch Dogs looks awesome and that new Capcom IP looks right up my street. Was shocked when Blizzard revealed they'll be working exclusively with Sony, then deflated us all by revealing Diablo 3. Ha. 

Looks like they are really on board with all the top developers and really up to date with all the sharing and live streaming stuff. I think it'll do pretty well, but obviously they need to get the price right. Looking forward to seeing Microsoft's reply.

Edited by nobler

I didn't actually care that they didn't show the console. Couldn't care what it looks like. Would rather see more gameplay than anything.

Edited by Daniel

Full specs released;

Main Processor 
Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based
graphics engine

Memory 
GDDR5 8GB

Hard Disk Drive 
Built-in

Optical Drive
(read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV
I/O
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX

Communication 
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)

AV output 
HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

Slightly disappointed they didn't show the console, but I guess they need to hold stuff back for E3.

Overall quite a good press conference although I was mainly following through twitter.

I'll need to watch a replay when I get home from work.

Didn't actually show the console. The hardware and features sound very good though.

the console is just a box

who gives a shit what it looks like

A lot of people give a shit if you read the internetz.

People like to have a box that looks nice, sitting in their tv cabinet (or wherever they put it). Obviously what looks "nice" is completely subjective.

You know what, I don't actually think those people REALLY care what it looks like. Up until the Wii U unveiling I've never come across so many people trotting out the "oh there's a shame we didn't see the console" line. It's bizarre, and it's a new phenomenon. The console doesn't exist right now, it's an ugly PC with some almost finalized conceptual artwork that may or may not go into production in the next coupe of months. If it's the ugliest console ever, it's not going to sway many people away from buying it. If it's the best looking console ever, it's not going to sway many people to buy it. How it looks is a complete irrelevance, how it performs and what's in it is all the matters

A week after you put it under the TV cabinet you'll be oblivious to what it looks like

Havent seen the conference, but does all this talk of cloud mean we'll really not be able to buy physical discs for this new hardware?   I'm old school - I like buying discs!  Imagine getting your new console on launch night and then not being able to play anything because either the servers are down due to high demand or the download / streaming speeds are too slow to actually be usable.  Obviously this most likely wont be the case, todays technology already allows HD streaming of video and mobile devices stream my music from a cloud, but just a slight concern.

Depending on prices I'll still probably get one at launch!!!

I think they will launch with Blu-rays drives but after a few years will release models without Blu-ray drives which will be download only. 

I have to say I was quite impressed overall. The interface and connectivity of it all looks good. Think the controller looks horrible though. Will be interesting to see what M$ come up with. 

Edited by PieFacE

With regards to the friends can help you out on your games thing, I assume that both parties will have to have a copy of that game in order to do that?  Or because the game will be in a cloud/streamed over the internet, if I have fifa 14 but my friend doesn't, will he be able to play over the internet?

That bit I didn't quite understand. 

I'm certain the other party would have to own the game aswell. Can you imagine any company allowing someone to play a game, in full, for free, just cos their friend owns it? Nawwwwwwwww.

What is nice though is the ability to watch gameplay videos of new stuff to get a feel the games, and the streaming demos of everything in the store. The proposed cloud back catalogue for PS1, 2, and 3 is cracking aswell.

What can **** right off though is people jumping into my game and showing me how to do it. Thankfully those sort of options would have to be optional.

Mostly I liked what I saw, for the simple fact that I enjoyed getting a look at what the next gen will look like, after all the speculation. And the result is, basically, it looks just swell.

I had never watched a full event like this before though, not live. It really dragged on after a while though, man, plus there were some turkeys, ofc.

The Blizzard thing - was everyone expecting WoW? And do you expect WoW in the future? That would be some coup for it to be a PS4 exclusive. As for Diablo 3, I was under the impression it wasn't very good, so seemed a bit of an anit-climax in regard to that reveal, but the future could be interesting. I assumed that the chaps repeated references to 'world domination' were no joke aswell.

So Square Enix show a video that we (or some of us I guess) already know to be what may eventually become the next FF. Then the FF guy comes out and says there will be an FF. Then leaves. HA. As if there wasn't going to be an FF. Like most FFheads, there was a moment with me where I though he was going to say those 4 little words...Final Fantasy Seven Remake. Alas, no.

I am glad the thing on the Dualshock 4 is a touch PAD and not a screen. The applications for a pad are far more convenient than a screen as far as I'm concerned.

The event didn't fill me with awe or anything, but I am glad I watched it. Hasn't changed my mind in anyway, I'm not buying one on launch, but will at some point down the line.

Oh, one more thing. The attempts to salvage the Move and Vita. It really came across as Sony screaming at the consumer PLEASE BUY ONE OF THESE, WE'VE SPENT SO MUCH MONEY ON DEVELOPING THEM, LOOK LOOK, THEY ARE USEFUL! Wasn't convinced. Don't care about remote play, don't care about sculpting. I liked LBP alot though, so the media molecule thing was kind of curious...in LBP you creating things for the purpose of playing the game. You know, levels, and stuff. I really don't care about showing off, ****, art or whatever it was supposed to be. I guess it's a draw for the casual gamer or something, as it was lost on me.

Edited by hogso

With regards to the friends can help you out on your games thing, I assume that both parties will have to have a copy of that game in order to do that?  Or because the game will be in a cloud/streamed over the internet, if I have fifa 14 but my friend doesn't, will he be able to play over the internet?

I very much doubt you would be able to pay your friends copy of a game. That would hurt sales too much.

With regards to the friends can help you out on your games thing, I assume that both parties will have to have a copy of that game in order to do that?

just one needs the game

I very much doubt you would be able to pay your friends copy of a game. That would hurt sales too much.

no, you can play your friend's copy assuming they've got their console on, the game in and turned on, and are connected to psn at the time

i don't think you can play them in multiplayer though, just single player taking over from them, so it won't hurt game sales at all

The Blizzard thing - was everyone expecting WoW? And do you expect WoW in the future? That would be some coup for it to be a PS4 exclusive. As for Diablo 3, I was under the impression it wasn't very good, so seemed a bit of an anit-climax in regard to that reveal, but the future could be interesting. I assumed that the chaps repeated references to 'world domination' were no joke aswell.

I wasn't expecting wow, but maybe something new and fresh for a brand new console and a new partnership. I don't think wow is possible on a console they may attempt some sort of mmorpg that cross platforms with pc and ps4 that is more simpler than wow.

Â