Playstation 4

hogso

You're probably right Chindie :(

Rev, I don't use steam half as much as I perhaps should, im always worried what I buy wont be smooth on my basic non graphically capable computer, then theres the older games which look interseting, but state theyre for windows xp and i think they wont work with my windows 8 machine.

Im sure i saw an article on cnet that Steam was making their console, or supporting a console or something. 

Here's some more leaked info from VGleaks

CPU:

Orbis contains 8 Jaguar cores at 1.6 GHz, arranged as two ‘clusters’

Each cluster contains 4 cores and a shared 2MB L2 cache

256-bit SIMD operations, 128-bit SIMD ALU

SSE up to SSE4, as well as Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX)

One hardware thread per core

Decodes, executes and retires at up to two instructions/cycle

Out of order execution

Per-core dedicated L1-I and L1-D cache (32Kb each)

Two pipes per core yield 12,8 GFlops performance

102.4 GFlops for system

GPU:

GPU is based on AMD’s ‘R10XX’ (Southern Islands) architecture

DirectX 11.1+ feature set

Liverpool is an enhanced version of the architecture

18 Compute Units (CUs)

Hardware balanced at 14 CUs

Shared 512 KB of read/write L2 cache

800 MHz

1.843 Tflops, 922 GigaOps/s

Dual shader engines

18 texture units

8 Render backends

Memory:

4 GB unified system memory, 176 GB/s

3.5 available to games (estimate)

Storage:

High speed Blu-ray drive

Single layer (25 GB) or dual layer (50 GB) discs

Partial constant angular velocity (PCAV)

Outer half of disc 6x (27 MB/s)

Inner half varies, 3.3x to 6x

Internal mass storage:

One SKU at launch: 500 GB HDD

There may also be a Flash drive SKU in the future

Networking:

1 Gb/s Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n WIFI, and Bluetooth

Peripherals:

Evolved Dualshock controller

Dual Camera

Move controller

Extra:

Audio Processor (ACP)

Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units

Display ScanOut Engine (DCE)

Zlib Decompression Hardware

It mostly doesn't mean anything to me, at all. But apparently it's at least as good as the leaked 720 specs.

It's...kind of underwhelming. They'll obviously get more out of it than the equivalent gaming PC with the same specs, but that's a very low to mid-range build.

A major positive for those just looking at the new console gen hoping it will move PC tech forward is we should finally see developers working on getting their games to properly utilise multi-core CPUs. That and the fact it looks like PC gamers won't have to upgrade their machines  for another few years.

Edited by Davkaus

In one of the vaguest bits of news yet to hit the rumour mill, a Japanese newspaper has stated that the PS4 will retail for more than Y40,000 at launch - that's around £275 to us. PS3 was Y60,000 at launch, as a point of reference. The insinuation being this will launch cheaper than the PS3 did, which I find impossible to believe.

Edited by hogso

In one of the vaguest bits of news yet to hit the rumour mill, a Japanese newspaper has stated that the PS4 will retail for more than Y40,000 at launch - that's around £275 to us. PS3 was Y60,000 at launch, as a point of reference. The insinuation being this will launch cheaper than the PS3 did, which I find impossible to believe.

it'll be about £400 for you guys i'll wager, give or take £50

The can't launch the PS4 at the price the PS3 launched at. Nobody would buy it again.

Depends on the launch date. You have to remember that the current generation has been the longest lasting, so consumers would be likely to pay around the same this time if the promise was the same longevity. When the PS3 and Xbox 360 launched we were used to 3-5 year generations, now we're looking at 7-8 year cycles. At the time of the outcry about PS3 pricing, I don't think anyone would have thought they'd still be playing it in 2013

No way. Last time (£425) was too expensive and that was in a world that wasn't in recession, and at a time when people didn't spend their disposable income on smartphones and tablet computers.  £350, tops. 

No way. Last time (£425) was too expensive and that was in a world that wasn't in recession, and at a time when people didn't spend their disposable income on smartphones and tablet computers.  £350, tops. 

I don't think you'll get it for any less than £399.99, unless they offer multiple versions at launch and one is stripped back

Â