Playstation 4

hogso

I would have considered a purchase if a few more games had VR support on launch. I'm primarily interested in cockpit games (racing & space sim) but there seems to be only Eve & Drive club available on launch. Drive club is too arcadey for me and paying £400+ to play Eve would be a bit extravagant. 

It's hard to see VR having a long term future outside of cockpit games. Games that sell on consoles are fps, 3rd person open worlds and RPGs with 100s of hours of content which don't really go well with the tech. I can't see many major studios cutting their nose off to develop only for a proportion of the total playerbase on consoles with VR exclusive titles. I think the trend of developing an hour or so of VR DLC will continue until the novelty wears off.

I would love EA to gamble and make a Star wars VR space game. I can't see it happening though - it would require them to shift a lot of copies to make it viable.

12 hours ago, RunRickyRun said:

I would love EA to gamble and make a Star wars VR space game. I can't see it happening though - it would require them to shift a lot of copies to make it viable.

Here is GC's impressions on the 'Star Wars: Battlefront – Rogue One: X-Wing VR Mission', which they describe as 'the best thing ever made by a human' :lol:

There's an interview with a dev at the bottom too, and although pushed for some sort of confirmation of an actual game (as this was purely a PSVR demo - just seemingly a damned good one), they don't say anything other than they're excited about possibilities in the future, or something. 

That's an obscurely clever name there from Minter...

PSVR out today, anyone pick it up? Giant Bomb have another stream on the go at the moment. The level of meh is astonishing. As is how shit a lot of these games look, both literally (even accounting for the weird output VR gives to other viewers) and figuratively. 

I'd stake decent money this is abandoned by Sony within 2 years. And that might be optimistic.

I'm very interested in VR, but incredibly skeptical about the ability to deliver a decent experience at the price that the PSVR is available at. I'll try and find somewhere that has one to demo, but I can't see myself buying one.

It's a shame really. I think VR has huge potential, and it's where gaming is headed, I'm sure of it, the immersion just can not be matched with a flat screen several feet away, but it's just too expensive now. Not enough consumers can afford it, and so not enough developers will invest in making content for it. It could be so much more than a disposable gimmick.

Edited by Davkaus

It's too limited for me. At the moment it acts as a weird mash up of 3d and motion controls, but were actual movement is an issue. Teleporting around an environment is shit, and games that give you full control via a controller seem to have particular problems with nausea. Unless you're in a cockpit of some sort. So far the only real successes appear to be things like Elite or driving games, or the very niche field of things replicating table tops.

It's a technology that is very interesting but is miles away from anything more than novelty. It feels like a rung on the ladder to truly revolutionary things, but will ultimately be an offshoot on a time line in a making of article in a century.

Until they can make it wireless it will never take off. The sheer amount of pissing around to get it running is an instant turn off.

Things like the samsung gear VR work because they are simple, no wires everywhere, no extra cameras & controllers needed etc.

This will be dead before next christmas

screen%20shot%202016-10-11%20at%2011.16.

That's intense! Just so we're clear, here's what cables you'll have in your gaming space with PSVR hooked up:

• All of the cables required for a PS4 to work normally.
  • The cable to connect the PlayStation Camera to the PS4, which you may or may not already have anyway.
  • An additional HDMI cable just for PSVR.
  • A USB cable to connect the separate PSVR processor box to the PS4.
  • An AC adapter to connect the PSVR processor box to a wall outlet, meaning you now need two wall outlets for PSVR.
  • The cable that connects the headset itself to the processor box.

Of course, that's all in addition to other devices you have hooked up underneath your TV. If the situation in that image looks cumbersome in a desolate white void, imagine how it'll work in the average living room.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/playstation-vr-ridiculous-cable-clutter-2016-10

phpof4hvo.jpg

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/139016-sony-playstation-vr-exposed-what-you-get-in-the-psvr-box-and-what-you-still-need-to-buy

Apparently you can actually plug the hdmi into anything rather than just the ps4 and it will trigger the cinematic mode allowing you to watch movies, play your xbox one etc on the seemingly giant floating screen in front of you. Obviously you do not get the full VR experience but it is something different i guess if you're bored of the games/tech demos or need a lie down after drive club makes you vomit 

• 3 weeks later...

The latest patch for The Last Of Us contains HDR support. it's good to seeing starting to be used on consoles.  The game recognised our tv supports it and give the option to switch automatically. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got a Pro coming today? Not that excited about it, only got one because I can't think of anything to get off the missus for Xmas 

Reviews aren't exciting me much either

Can't believe I managed to get £180 for my release day PS4, they were £150 new with Fifa 17 last month IIRC

Edited by villarule123

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

Anyone got a Pro coming today? Not that excited about it, only got one because I can't think of anything to get off the missus for Xmas 

Reviews aren't exciting me much either

Can't believe I managed to get £180 for my release day PS4, they were £150 new with Fifa 17 last month IIRC

Where did you get £180 for it?

I have an old PS4 and Xbox that need to go

I've read some reports that games are running worse at the moment on the Pro than on the standard PS4 - Last of Us Remastered seemingly being the worst culprit. Not ideal for those that have bought one early, but I'm sure better optimisation will come in time.

I'm happy with my standard machine at the moment, although the recently released JP only FFXV demo titled 'Judgement Day' is Pro enabled, so if there are significant enough boosts in frame rate, for example, at 1080p, I might be tempted.

5 hours ago, hogso said:

What did you play @troon_villan? I would like to try Robinsons and Eagle Flight, but haven't read reviews of them both it's shocking they've been released as full price titles.

Until Dawn - Rush Of Blood. 

A few of us got together to watch the game last night and put this one's afterwards.  

Some genuinely jumpy moments and we were in hysterics watching each other. 

The VR was extremely immersive and responsive. The only aspect I couldn't judge yet are longevity, obviously.   It was great fun for half an hour but can I see myself playing for hours on end? Who knows.

Pretty excited about it now though. 

Â