Playstation 4

hogso

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Paying for patches? I'm out.

Did they backtrack in the sense of it isn't happening? Or sweeping under the rug for now?

Their backtrack was saying they would be free, but so far only Sony's first party patches are free. Publishers are still saying that it is up to Sony what is actually going to happen..

It's a mess really. One executive at Sony Japan claimed that HDR/Visual patches may cost money depending on the game, another has stated that isn't true and then publishers are saying "It's Sony's call".. 

Slim is pretty standard now, it'll be them coming up with a cheaper and more efficient manufacturing method meaning they can reduce the RRP without cutting in to their own margin

its hard to say cos I've already got one but I haven't got a 4K tv or any interest in one, if I wanted a ps4 this Christmas would I wait and future proof myself and pay the extra money for pro or just get the slim...honestly don't know

VR at e3 and last week just doesn't seem to have the huge push that I was expecting, it's out in a month and they're charging £350 for it, haven't seen anything in terms of marketing yet

At this moment in time I'm actually a lot more interested in the NX than PS4 Pro or Scorpio, and I haven't owned a Nintendo console (home or handheld) since the Gamecube

• Like 1

My concern is how expensive these devices are considering how console companies in the past have failed to promote peripherals..

Microsoft failed twice with the Kinect.. Sony failed with EyeToy, PlayStation Eye and PlayStation Move.. These are all cheap though in the grand scheme of things which doesn't make the failure better, but it makes it easier for the customer to stomach. PlayStation VR is £350.. £400 if you don't have a PlayStation Eye yet, this is not something you want Sony lazily pushing like they normally do, yet so far that is all they have done.

E3 showed a bit of VR a nice sizzle reel of 5 games? Yet nothing was made of how well they run on base PS4 hardware which I understand that the general consensus is that PlayStation VR runs like shit.. Then at the PlayStation Meeting just the other day they showed one game and all they said was "PS4 Pro allows for double the pixel density over PS4 in this game".. My concern is Sony doesn't want to throw PS4 under the bus, but they kind of have to if both PlayStation VR and PS4 Pro are to thrive and get support. Sony need to talk specifics like how improved is the frame rate in Star Wars: Battlefront VR? How much better does Battlezone run? These are the things they need to be saying but just aren't because it would make PS4 look bad.  

Another concern is Sony have yet to say if HDR/Higher Visual Fidelity/4K (Native or Upscaled) is mandatory for all games going forward. They have stated that it is optional for forward compatibility of older games, but nothing on the new releases. This is a concern as if someone is paying £350 to get a console to run games better than PS4 then I would expect every new game to have some form of improvement.

Sony right now are hoping that some customers are going to buy PlayStation VR and PS4 Pro, a combined value of £700 rising to £750 if they lack the PlayStation Eye already.. That is a huge amount of cash to spend on two things given that the level of support is currently unknown.. Sony must do better. 

51 minutes ago, RunRickyRun said:

Has Sony's hand been forced by VR? With the new headset launching in October, the original ps4 might be too underpowered to handle it properly.

The PS4 slim is bizarre. There seems to be no usp to it and, with ps4 fat consoles flooding the preowned marketplace after the launch of the Pro, it may struggle.

I wouldn't say their hand has been forced by VR necessarily. They've been more forced by a combination of the initial PS4's power quickly being stretched already and the 4k push. VR is a minor element, it hasn't managed to establish itself in any facet yet, but it is true the standard PS4 struggles with VR. It can do it, but it's hamstrung - that the machine comes with a breakout box to fill in for the console shows you that VR is pushing what the console can do. But they've heavily underplayed VR to date, they had their reveal event months ago with mostly tech demos and little since. 

VR generally has struggled to establish itself. There isn't a killer app, nobody has overcome things like traditional controller less movement, etc etc. Sony aren't going to either, yet, and it represents a gamble right now that Sony won't have based the decision on a new console on solely. It's the overall power and new TV tech that's pushed this.

As for the Slim, as v4e says it's a usual part of the cycle, they've sorted to cheaper production methods and other cost cutting to produce a smaller console with a better margin.

How they position the 2 consoles with consumers is going to be fun, and how it ends up working with devs. On paper its great and simple but, for consumers, the message 'there's a cheap one that's fine and there's an expensive one that has some benefits if you've got a 4k TV and also gives you boosts if you don't' is a tricky one. You don't want the Slim to be seen as a pauper machine, equally you don't want nobody to buy the Pro because they don't have 4k or the boosts for 1080p don't grab them (or the games they love aren't being updated...). Especially if they bought a PS4 at launch thinking they had a console good for 5 years under the telly. And how devs approach it is interesting. The obvious decision is like PC releases, the Pro can run on Ultra and/or at 4k, the Slim on Low settings. But what if a few devs see the Pros power and have a great idea for an exclusive? Instantly your market's split.

Interesting times. Especially with Scorpio being pitched as a even bigger switch up coming. That has the same problems, potentially, but more so given its alleged power.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot about it, with what I've already got (Netflix and now tv) I don't think there's much on there to justify it, what did interest me at the time was if you could use fox soccer through a yank ps4 account and watch the Saturday games...

if villa get promoted and I knock the season ticket on the head I'd get it if that worked

Their midtable package is quite decent. I get a lot of channels and save money with it versus my regular bill. I get a 7 day trial so I am going to start that when I get off work. I'm hoping it's decent but I heard you need really good internet for it. 

Just an alert for anyone after an original ps4 (not slim/pro) for christmas etc. Stores are dumping stock of the original design starting today.

Game have done a few today for £150 including the lego star wars bundle

Smyths toys are apparently from midnight doing a 500gb with fifa 17 for £150 + whatever they have left of the lego star wars bundles with fifa also for £150 or 1tb with fifa for £180

Expect tesco/amazon etc all to follow suit in the next day or so so keep your eyes peeled if you want one

VR reviews have dropped.

All them seem to rate the hardware but all acknowledge it as a fudge of ideas and kit Sony has smashed together and somehow got something decent. It's not the best VR experience but it is also the 'cheapest'. There's also been some talk of weird tracking issues with the image pulsing back and forth slightly which some people have found very off-putting.

And all acknowledge that VR just doesn't have its great game yet.

There's part of me that wonders if it ever will. What we have now is at its best a fudged halfway house, a mash up of various motion controls and 3d displays that doesn't really quite work the way everyone wants. 

Edited by Chindie

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

What are your views on VR generally Chindie? Think it's a fad or that it's going to be something that will be in our homes for many years to come? 

At the moment, it's (barely) a fad IMO. It's currently an extension of 3d, although has more merit than cinema 3d because with games, and ultimately with the motion controls, you are inhabiting a world which fools your brain more effectively than just the optical illusion of a movie in 3d. But then the problem becomes actually creating engaging stuff with this technology and so far the best we can do is 'experiences' or real minor mini game stuff, the same issues things like Kinect had.

Where VR is at the moment is the early steps to something potential truly incredible. But that destination could be a hundred years away, if they ever get there at all. At best this is destined to be footnote in an article on the evolution of VR in 2116. At worst it stumbles and is forgotten because there isn't the innovation to overcome the problems, the price hurdle isn't overcome, or people just don't engage.

For the near future it'll be something you might see in various places as parts of exhibitions or other experiences - there's an interactive Ghostbusters experience that uses similar tech together with very old school theme park stuff on the US that is apparently incredible. But you can't do that in your living room unless you're Elon Musk.

• Like 1

GiantBomb is doing a live stream at the mo of this and Jeff, who had seemed unnaturally unaffected by VR nausea so far, has had to stop playing Batman VR because of the weird image pulsing thing.

I wouldn't buy this myself anyway, given I'm more than a bit sceptical of VR, but this thing really is a wait and see item imo.

• Like 1

I'd love to try it, but no more. The only things it really works for ATM are cockpit based games, and sometimes abstract puzzle games. That's not enough to invest in it for me. 

Having watched a bit of this GB stream, you'd be insane to buy this unless you have significant disposable income. Almost all of the stuff they've played you'd be done with in 5 minutes and never touch again, other than to demo it to friends and family.

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

At the moment, it's (barely) a fad IMO. It's currently an extension of 3d, although has more merit than cinema 3d because with games, and ultimately with the motion controls, you are inhabiting a world which fools your brain more effectively than just the optical illusion of a movie in 3d. But then the problem becomes actually creating engaging stuff with this technology and so far the best we can do is 'experiences' or real minor mini game stuff, the same issues things like Kinect had.

Where VR is at the moment is the early steps to something potential truly incredible. But that destination could be a hundred years away, if they ever get there at all. At best this is destined to be footnote in an article on the evolution of VR in 2116. At worst it stumbles and is forgotten because there isn't the innovation to overcome the problems, the price hurdle isn't overcome, or people just don't engage.

For the near future it'll be something you might see in various places as parts of exhibitions or other experiences - there's an interactive Ghostbusters experience that uses similar tech together with very old school theme park stuff on the US that is apparently incredible. But you can't do that in your living room unless you're Elon Musk.

Surely it's just about being fun rather than being the pinnacle of technology? People don't half take this hobby too seriously.

Edited by Ingram85

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Surely it's just about being fun than being the pinnacle of technology?

That's not what I'm getting at.

I'm sure VR now is fun. Some of the nonsense coming out for the various headsets looks hilarious.

The problem is, however, it's limited and therefore it becomes a novelty. It scratches the surface of something with real depth that could be fun but also be a great long experience. Right now lots of it is a few minutes of awe and then... Nothing.

• Like 2

Â