Playstation 4

hogso

As there is already a topic for 'Xbox 720', and has been for some time, I felt it only fair to make one for the 'PS4' aswell.

Well, kind of. There is even less info on this than there is for the new Xbox. Well I say even less, there's practically nothing.

However, the recent annoucement of The Last of Us release date has put the rumour mill into overdrive. It was originally assumed that The Last of Us would be given a pre-xmas 2013 slot to be Sony's big money grabber for the period, as nothing else major is expected for then.

But with the (much earlier than anticipated) release of The Last of Us being Q2 2013, certain corners of the internet sprang to the conclusion that the PS4 would be released Xmas 2013, as the new Xbox is expected to.

The latest rumour, though, is that it won't be until after that - much later possibly, as far as Q3 2014. Which begs the quesion, what does Sony have up it's sleave for next Christmas? Nothing at all? Unlikely. Maybe another essential bit of kit for your PS3 like Wonderbook or Move.

It's also alledged to be codenamed 'Thebes'. I must admit that my preference, even before specs and anything else are announced, is for the new PS over the new Xbox, for the simple reason that I have owned all of Sony's consoles and prefer them over MS'.

Sony almost certainly won't go to market with a PS4 at the same time as Microsoft go in with the next Xbox, all the talk has been of Sony really not being in a particularly strong position to release a console and ideally want to hold it off as long as possible.

It's also been rumoured that they hadn't even begun seriously looking at final specs and hardware long after it was pretty much confirmed that Microsoft was settled on (and beginning development of) the hardware (particularly the processor - there was an open secret about a year ago that Microsoft had hired a designer for the processor). Sony will not release along side an Xbox.

The codename I last heard for it was Orbis incidentally.

As a PS3 owner I have been very disappointed with the console of late so really not sure if I will stick with Sony products, or move on to the new XBOX when it is released.

The fact that PS3 RAM issues means that any big game I try to play crashes after 30 mins is a piss-take and I would not be surprised if Sony put some ridiculous restrictive hardware ****-up in their next machine somewhere along the line.

Maybe that's your machine?

I have never had any issues with my PS3. The only lag I have ever exprienced was towards the end of Skyrim when I had a HUGE save file and with lots of things kicking off on screen.

Sony almost certainly won't go to market with a PS4 at the same time as Microsoft go in with the next Xbox, all the talk has been of Sony really not being in a particularly strong position to release a console and ideally want to hold it off as long as possible.

Why do you think that is?

The current gen is causing so much stagnation, there's not much more that can be done with the current hardware. While it may seem like a good idea for Sony to wait a little while, then release a machine with slightly better specs than the new Xbox, it means that in the gap, current PS owners will get to look at tonnes of examples of how awesome their mate's new Xbox is in comparison to their shitty old PS3 and may jump ship. Very risky strategy.

Maybe that's your machine?

I have never had any issues with my PS3. The only lag I have ever exprienced was towards the end of Skyrim when I had a HUGE save file and with lots of things kicking off on screen.

Possibly, but it only ever crashes on Bethesda games. I would imagine though that this is down to huge save files. Saying that, Fallout New Vegas is notoriously buggy as I've never had any issues with Oblivion.

I feel for Sony, they tried to go their own way with the cell processor but its gone awry. In so many ways the PS3 is a seriously great bit of kit.

They're not going will the cell again are they?

I chose the 360 because it I felt developers would prefer a simpler platform to work on, that's not to say there aren't some amazing IP on the PS3, there are, Sony always does them....they just come out so slowly.

I'll go PS4 if the 360 locks me in to downloaded games/no second hand games but at the moment the 360 rumour mill is bloody enticing.

Unless Sony have shit for brains, the PS4 will also be constructed from off the shelf PC parts like the Xbox is. As they found out to their cost last time, you can have the most ridiculously powerful processor in the world in your machine but if it needs to be coded for in a language that nobody who makes games understands then the games which come out for it are going to be shit. It took at least two years for third party developers to get to grips with the PS3, Sony cant afford to have that kind of a slow start with the PS4.

And the 360 one is laughable when you compare it to Steam. I fully expect Sony and Microsoft to copy Steam when their new machines are out.

They can't. Only Apple are allowed to copy other companies.

Never understood the hate directed towards the XMB on sony's console, i think its a really elegant design and simple to use. PSN Store on the otherhand needs to be destroyed with fire.

I thought Apple invented stuff, regardless of whether it already existed or not?

No, the late Steve openly admitted that great companies steal other people's ideas. He then went into full religious rage when anyone copied his ideas. Cognitive dissonance is a wonderful thing.

Yeah, nothing wrong with the us...XBL do they call it? Thing on PS3. I prefer it to the Xbos dashboard, but thats probably only cos I use it more.

The new PSN store is horrrrrrrrrible though.

Isn't the trouble with Sony using PC parts meaning they will have to use Direct X, which, as we know is owned and created by Microsoft? If so then that isn't going to happen!

Maybe they should use the same type of coding that made the PS1 one of the best consoles ever!

Just with newer technology :)

Isn't the trouble with Sony using PC parts meaning they will have to use Direct X, which, as we know is owned and created by Microsoft? If so then that isn't going to happen!

I don't think that's something tied in to the hardware, rather something that specific game devs would tie their game into, but they could use OpenGL.

Â