Playstation 4

hogso

Isn't the trouble with Sony using PC parts meaning they will have to use Direct X, which, as we know is owned and created by Microsoft? If so then that isn't going to happen!

Maybe they should use the same type of coding that made the PS1 one of the best consoles ever!

Just with newer technology :)

Why would anyone use DirectX when there's OpenGL? Steam is embracing Linux which cannot and is highly unlikely to ever support DirectX. It's the same reason that the same games run quicker on Steam Linux than Steam Windows.

It's the same reason that the same games run quicker on Steam Linux than Steam Windows.

That's far from universal. It's true there's been a lot of noise about L4DN having a better framerate, but there have been other games that are terrible, and most are pretty much the same..

OpenGL vs DirectX is going to make very little difference one way or another, performance will be pretty similar give or take a few percent, I think the biggest obstacle to gaming on Linux is going to be decent driver support for graphics cards. Hell, ATI haven't got the hang of releasing decent drivers for Windows yet, never mind Linux.

Hopefully it will come, gaming on Linux is much more viable than it was even just a year or two ago, and much more user friendly thanks to things like PlayOnLinux, but playing most new releases on anything other than Windows is a nightmare.

Why do you think that is?

The current gen is causing so much stagnation, there's not much more that can be done with the current hardware. While it may seem like a good idea for Sony to wait a little while, then release a machine with slightly better specs than the new Xbox, it means that in the gap, current PS owners will get to look at tonnes of examples of how awesome their mate's new Xbox is in comparison to their shitty old PS3 and may jump ship. Very risky strategy.

Sony are not in a particularly good way, financially. They really would rather not be having to develop a new console which they will lose money hand over fist on. Sure, they'd **** love to get a console out before or with Microsoft, but they won't. They will release after Microsoft, and they only reason they'll release it at all this 'soon' is because Microsoft pulled the trigger on the next gen and they had to react.

That's far from universal. It's true there's been a lot of noise about L4DN having a better framerate, but there have been other games that are terrible, and most are pretty much the same..

OpenGL vs DirectX is going to make very little difference one way or another, performance will be pretty similar give or take a few percent, I think the biggest obstacle to gaming on Linux is going to be decent driver support for graphics cards. Hell, ATI haven't got the hang of releasing decent drivers for Windows yet, never mind Linux.

Hopefully it will come, gaming on Linux is much more viable than it was even just a year or two ago, and much more user friendly thanks to things like PlayOnLinux, but playing most new releases on anything other than Windows is a nightmare.

That's not really the point I was making though. Sony (or anyone else) don't have to go the DirectX route. I'm sure the lure of PS4 sales mean Sony can demand OpenGL driver support from whoever wants to bid to supply.

If Sony go OpenGL then it will be good for the whole industry. It will mean Mac gaming might become a thing, as will Linux gaming and probably a better Steam box.

interesting topic

now im not going to pretend that i know what you guys are talking about, because frankly, i dont have a clue but mates of mine who own/play an xbox commented on how average the graphics looked on my ps3 whilst i was playing pro evo

ive never played on an xbox, but im keen to play/try forza as i never have, but saying that, im also considering of swapping my aligence to fifa from pro evo, both games obviously available for the xbox

so when the time comes, i may swap to the xbox 720 so i can play fifa and forza and give my ps3 to my daughter and sell her current 360?

opinions?

If Sony go OpenGL then it will be good for the whole industry. It will mean Mac gaming might become a thing, as will Linux gaming and probably a better Steam box.

Fascinating, something I'd never considered. It'd be a great way to blow open the market but it might squeeze Sony profits hugely leaving the more unique consoles to mop up.

Also is it wise to give Apple a console chance? I doubt they'd go in as partners....Sony/Apple tv....

Surely at this moment Steam is in a better position to develop a viable online gaming model than Sony, especially if Steam got Linux gaming support.

I don't like the rumours concerning the new PS, such as no 2nd hand games (like the 720) and poor backward compatibility, I guess old games will come as DLs, that I'd quite like, the PS3 has some amazing titles.

AndyBm...maybe, id argue with the huge 360 price drop that would come with a 720 model you'd get more money for your PS3...depending on how many more models Sony release....plus Xbox live is better than its Sony competition....though you do pay for it. The live gold family pack is good value for more than 1 console.

Also I'm surprised at the PS3 looking worse, it can vary in different games, I always prefer the richness on my friends PS3 games, having said that many PS3/360 game shots show a better landscape perspective for the 360...maybe your friends just has a better tv and set up!

Fascinating, something I'd never considered. It'd be a great way to blow open the market but it might squeeze Sony profits hugely leaving the more unique consoles to mop up.

Also is it wise to give Apple a console chance? I doubt they'd go in as partners....Sony/Apple tv....

Surely at this moment Steam is in a better position to develop a viable online gaming model than Sony, especially if Steam got Linux gaming support.

I don't like the rumours concerning the new PS, such as no 2nd hand games (like the 720) and poor backward compatibility, I guess old games will come as DLs, that I'd quite like, the PS3 has some amazing titles.

All of that is true, but I cant really see what the alternative is. If Sony go with custom architecture again, with a second generation Cell or something then they will just repeat the mistakes of the PS3 where Sony will be stuck with more expensive hardware as they have had to research and design custom parts for it and even if it is more powerful than the competition on paper, the multi format titles will look worse on Playstation because nobody knows how to code for it (for at least the first couple of years) so people will just buy the Xbox anyway.

If they go with off the shelf PC parts and OpenGL then yes, they are going to give Apple a helping hand which may be foolish, but surely that is better than playing directly into the hands of Microsoft again? Apple might not be interested in pushing games on Mac until publishers have been putting PS4 conversions on it for a year or two and by then the PS4 will be established.

The next generation will be won on services and features. Playstation plus vs Xbox live. Whoever has the best Netflix/iPlayer app. Whoever offers the best music streaming service (etc) and this is where you have to point out that Sony own the second biggest music label in the world and a major Hollywood studio. They need to exploit that.

I am interested to see if the rumours about Valve releasing the 'Steam Box' come to anything. That company seems to actually understand gamers and I am pretty sure even with the high barriers to entry the console market has they could do a very good job

any idea how much MS have paid for the use of blu ray?

im assuming that sony will make some amount of money through xbox game sales even if it is tiny and maybe even see a spike in blu ray sales, going back to what the rev said about features and media uses, i dont think they have exploited that as much as they could have done, i can remember way back when i worked at GAME and the dvd player in a PS2 being a huge draw and effectively one of the many nails in the gamecubes coffin, the "you might as well pay £250 for a PS3 rather than £200 for a blu ray player" didnt really seem to happen

I think they will only have to pay a license for Blu Ray if they want it (the next Xbox) to play Blu Ray movies. I would be very surprised if that happened. It will be a propriety drive which can read Blu Ray sized discs but probably only offer DVD playback. Microsoft will bank on people streaming movies and TV rather than wanting to watch Blu Rays.

True Rev, game wise I think it would benefit them to stay in that race, they have a history of superb IP's, as does Japan.

I'm hugely interested to see where they go with their dashboard and services, even the 360 one feels tired.

Blu-ray movies, that's another thing I hadn't considered, having said that Sony doesn't actually own blu-ray as there are many patents attached to it; is blu-ray really the answer for future data transfer rates? I highly doubt it.

Sony are a part of the Blu Ray Association, they are keen for the format to remain as their film studio puts out Blu Ray movies. Microsoft really dont need to have any part of that, they can quite easily come up with some kind of proprietary drive which means their next Xbox can read 50gb discs. Maybe some spin on HD DVD or something.

Tested's Will Smith has suggested a HD DVD based media for the next xbox for a while. If they aren't interested in playing hi def movie media and push their streaming services, which is a certainty IMO, it'd make sense. Microsoft knows HD DVD, there's no licensing issues for them and they could readily adapt the format to a more propriety form rather than come up with something entirely from scratch.

99% confident we'll see it unveiled at e3/gamescom and released february 2014 as opposed to the xbox 720 which will be released november 22nd

neither confirmed either on or off the record to me, just using the same kinds of information that had me get the wii u launch date right back in august

Sony are a part of the Blu Ray Association, they are keen for the format to remain as their film studio puts out Blu Ray movies. Microsoft really dont need to have any part of that, they can quite easily come up with some kind of proprietary drive which means their next Xbox can read 50gb discs. Maybe some spin on HD DVD or something.

that's precisely what nintendo did. for all intents and purposes their discs are bluray, but they're different enough to be considered a proprietary format

poor backward compatibility

the gaikai deal solves that. backward compatibility is pointless anyway

why handicap a machine just so you can play last gens games for the first year you have the console? if you're that concerned with ps3 games keep the ps3 and play them on that when you want

the gaikai deal solves that. backward compatibility is pointless anyway

why handicap a machine just so you can play last gens games for the first year you have the console? if you're that concerned with ps3 games keep the ps3 and play them on that when you want

In an ideal business world yes of course but in console wars backward compatibility is always attractive, especially to the largest market, parents.

Also I don't have a PS3 which is why backward comp. would be nice, I also like being able to borrow games off friends rather than buying them.

Not everyone feels old gen is dead, COD proves how droll the new is whereas CS arcade proves there's a market for gameplay, I still play my Amiga.

Also a console is a handicapped machine from the outset, it runs with a lifespan, otherwise we'd be Crysis machine chasers.

Are parents the largest market? According to the Entertainment Software Association of America, the average gamer is 30. The average age of the person who buys the most games is 35. I dont give a **** about backwards compatibility and I dont think it should be one of the main things that companies should design their consoles around. If you had the previous system from a company then you either sold it and the games to fund a purchase of the new one or you kept it and you can still play your old games on that instead.

Are parents the largest market? According to the Entertainment Software Association of America, the average gamer is 30. The average age of the person who buys the most games is 35. I dont give a **** about backwards compatibility and I dont think it should be one of the main things that companies should design their consoles around. If you had the previous system from a company then you either sold it and the games to fund a purchase of the new one or you kept it and you can still play your old games on that instead.

The legacy games should be playable on new kit with a software emulator. Then there's no need for backward compatibility.

Â