• Agbonlahor
    • Holman
    • Benteke
    • Bent (for Agbonlahor 66)
    • Ireland (for Holman 66)
    • Delph (for Bannan 78)

Amazing to see people talking in such

superlatives about a side that has just

managed to draw 0-0 at home to Stoke and mustered 5 shots on target all match. On the face of it a very McLeishian result. I can't wait to watch it on Match First to see all these 7, 8, and 9-rated performances!

Oh, and welcome back 16th place.

there were no 8's or 9's. A few 7's and 6's with a 5 for bannan. clark, baker and westwood were 7's

If you saw them play today then you would know why.

ireland was poor when he came on, bannan was shit all game. Ireland never plays well off the bench most times, he needs to start to play well.

managed to draw 0-0 at home to Stoke and mustered 5 shots on target all match. On the face of it a very McLeishian result. I can't wait to watch it on Match First to see all these 7, 8, and 9-rated performances!

We're lacking in the linkup and creativity between midfield and the front two but overall there is just no comparison with the total and utter crap we played most of last season. Even if we don't improve our final position relative to last season I would take this seasons play over lasts every minute of every day.

First of all, I have not seen so many superlatives after the match.

And those who thought it was ok with a point were probably fully aware that Stoke was the team in the Premier League with best form before today's matches. In the last five before today, Stoke had four wins and one draw.

Not long back from VP and overall I thought we played well.

Defensively we were superb. Clark, Baker and Herd all looked solid and it worked well as a back 3. Lowton played more right mid than as a wing back but Lichaj wasn't so good at getting forward. I think Bennett would do well in this kind of formation though.

In midfield Westwood was excellent and looks like we may have found Petrovs replacement. He is fast becoming the player that makes us tick. Bannan was not at his best but tried, Holman was his usual busy self and really put himself about.

Up top Gabby was very good first half picking up the ball deep on numerous occasions and really driving at the Stoke defence. However on most occasions there was only Benteke in the box to support him. He looked like he took a knock which was why he came off. Benteke showed some lovely touches but faded in the second half.

Delph and Ireland tried to get involved when they came on but Bent had no impact touching the ball twice.

I was pleased with how we played especially given the opposition who are very much out to spoil the game. We really tried to play a neat passing game with good tempo and gave our all so you can ask no more.

One disappointment was the crowd which was just over 30k although those there got behind the lads. Seems we are now just down to the hardcore but I get the feeling those who have slipped away will be back as I am convinced we will progress under Lambert.

And those who thought it was ok with a point were probably fully aware that Stoke was the team in the Premier League with best form before today's matches. In the last five before today, Stoke had four wins and one draw.

Let's not let that get in the way of some completely undeserved criticism of a young side, who are clearly gelling into a decent team. Let's just look 'at the face of it', in other words at the scoreline, and imply that we've not developed since McLeish left. Because clearly, we are just the same.

Agree re Westwood. He could be something special but he needs to start taking players on and driving forward. Have a shot or two mate!

I completely disagree.

That's not what he's there for.

Exactly. Westwood may well be good in a more attacking role, but he's great as he is. Just because he's playing well and the more advanced midfielders aren't delivering the same level of performance, doesn't mean that Westwood should be making up for what they aren't doing.

Overall, like most others, I am pleased with the way we played and will take a point from this. To Stoke's credit, their back four really knows how to get in front of shots and stays quite organized, which makes it incredibly difficult to put anything past them. And to see our defense rack up another clean sheet is great. Also, has anyone noticed the set piece defending is getting way better? Stoke did not trouble us at all from corners or throws.

I also agree with mark that this 5-3-2 we are using at the moment would really suit Bennett at LB/LWB. Think he is back for Liverpool as well.

Was not surprised it ended 0-0. The back four were composed as a unit and stood up to the rugby team we were playing today. I just wish we'd look up more often and try to play a faster paced passing game. At times Stoke and their ten cloggers couldnt cope, but they were able to stick their fat legs in the way to stifle a move every so often. The only real stinkers today was Bannan who just cannot hit a decent cross. Time and again he tried stupid floated crosses that went nowhere and hollywood passes that went straight to one of Stoke's chuggers. The movement off the ball was also very poor at times and the subs did nothing. Bent and Ireland should be sold in January, they offer us nothing any more and look like they can't be arsed most of the time.

Stoke are a total disgrace to the game, the world will be a better place the glorious day they get relegated back to where they belong. We probably should have beaten them today but I'd have taken a point before the game and we seem to be making progress.

I thought we played well and we dealt with Stoke's erm Stokiness really comfortably - the back three were excellent, Herd had a good game and Big Bakes is growing into a really good centre half. Lowton I like a lot and he was good, Lichaj does have limitations, but he's going to wring everything he can out of em.

Behind them I like the way that Guzan is now playing like a number one and not someone who thinks he's filling in - loved him letting Kenwyn Jones know what he thought of his challenge in the second half.

Bannan and Westwood were really disciplined and were neat and tidy - they both work really hard to be available for the ball and they're both brave enough to always want it no matter where their last pass ended up or how much pressure they or the team are under - I really like them as a duo.

Holman had a good first half but was starting to fade - Gabby was similar, excellent in the first half but a bit deeper in the second and a little less effective.

Benteke was great at some things - he protects the ball well, he can hold it and play people in, he's brilliant in the air and he can make a player as big as Huth look weak. He was poor at some things too though, he still has a range of first touches that run from sublime to untidy and somebody really needs to teach him to thump a ball - he was excellent overall today though.

I thought we got it right against a team that are tough to beat and came up with a performance that was everything but the goal.

Shame we couldn't find a goal, because this team is starting to gel (albeit slowly).

Liked Lowton, Benteke, Guzan, Baker and Westwood (as usual), pleasantly surprised with an improved Lichaj. The rest were well, OK.

One or two astute signings in January could make all the difference.

• Like 1

We're lacking in the linkup and creativity between midfield and the front two but overall there is just no comparison with the total and utter crap we played most of last season. Even if we don't improve our final position relative to last season I would take this seasons play over lasts every minute of every day.

Spot.On :thumb:

They were missing Adam so lacked the creativity he has provided for them over their last three or four games.

My prediction was for us to lose the game so happy with the point but we desperately need to purchase some drive and creativity for our midfield in January.

We didn't play badly, the performances from Westwood and the back 5 were very good.

However, these are games that we need to win if we are to stay up, Stoke are a terrible side.

It seems like that on the face of it, but Stoke are competing for a place in Europe and were on the best form out of anyone in the league going into today's game. Although it was disappointing not to get a goal from our performance, the fact that we dominated them so much has to be a positive.

Â