O’Hara: "Things were so much easier when I earned 100pound a week on WTS"

Genie

Didn't go down well on Twitter...

Wolves midfielder Jamie O'Hara is to leave Twitter after his complaints about the stress of his £35,000-a-week salary sparked a furious backlash.

The 26-year-old, who is married to model Danielle Lloyd, tweeted: "Things were so much easier when I earned 100pound a week on wts #stress"

The former Spurs midfielder's remark brought some angry responses from his 175,000 followers, and he announced on Thursday morning he is to leave the social network.

"Had a good think last night and today is my last day on twitter," he said.

"I'll be starting a private Facebook account and anyone who is a genuine fan can send me a friend request, too many trolls on here with nothing nice to say."

O'Hara was forced to defend himself after his remark on Wednesday - explaining that he was not moaning about the amount of money he earned, but about the stresses and commitments associated with it.

"Why do people think cos I earn good money I don't have bills to pay we all pay tax an we have mortgages to pay, some people are deluded," he tweeted.

"I wonder how many people are doing hospital visits this Xmas or giving clothing to the homeless this winter, or setting up a charity to raise money for hospitals.

"I'm not saying I'm not privileged I'm so lucky to have what I've got but trust me when I was 17 on wts it was a lot more easier.

"Many peeps hating about me earning good money that show how jealous u are, instead of realising the tweet was about how hard life gets."

O'Hara, who earns over 50 times the national average wage, failed to head off a Twitter backlash.

User Saskia van Emden said: "Jamie O'Hara moaning about being paid a mere £35K a week rather than 100K sums up everything I hate about football the #greed is vile."

Mikey Dunlap added: "I'm sure Jamie O'Hara has "stress" to deal with in the form of parenting, attention and extra commitments. But lad, you don't know your born."

However, one Wolves fan backed O'Hara, saying: "Can't believe Jamie O'Hara's tweets made the Daily Mail website, pathetic. He wasn't moaning about his wages, just said life was less stressful as a kid. Money isn't some kind of medicine, you can still become unhappy/stressed/depressed."

Link

To a certain degree I get what he is trying to say. I earn a very good salary but to match that I have a stay at home wife/mum, good sized mortgage and 2 young children to support off it. I would agree life was less stressful when I was on 1/4 of what I earn now. Saying that, If he's bringing in £1.5m a year and he is struggling to manage things he really does need to have a look at himself.

money doesn't equal happiness or lack of stress.

You see the sort of idiotic responses COllymore gets if he tweets about depression. People saying no-one shoul dbe depressed if they earn so much money.

People are idiots.

That being said, O'Hara could have chosen his words more carefully in this sintance. I don't think there was much need to mention the £100 a week thing at all

• Like 1

I agree with what your saying Tamuff, I'm in the same boat as you a good salary but still highly stressed and life was easier when I was a youngster but I don't think it has anything to do with the money it's to do with the responsibility you have now compared to then. As you say though the money he earns is a completely different level and he could easily pay somebody to relieve ANY stress he has. IE money issues hire an accountant, parenting issues, hire a nanny, etc, etc

He was on his honeymoon in our hotel this year and the bloke was a complete knob. He wouldn't even chat to the kids at all and strutted around with his trophy wife in his wrong way round baseball cap like he was something really special. There were other football players there who were brilliant and actually organised a kick around with the kids most days and even bought all of them ice creams one day while O'Hara was totally arrogant and acted like he was above everybody there including the other players.

He shouldn't have tied himself down to a very expensive house and silly little slit of a wife then.

Many people that earn in a year what O'Hara does in a week manage to carve out a good life with a good standard of living, I guess the trick is to not spend like a moron. To quote Carmine Lupertazzi, "get the **** over it".

He shouldn't have tied himself down to a very expensive house and silly little slit of a wife then.

Many people that earn in a year what O'Hara does in a week manage to carve out a good life with a good standard of living, I guess the trick is to not spend like a moron. To quote Carmine Lupertazzi, "get the **** over it".

No, the trick is not to believe that money = happiness

It was just a bad choice of words. I get exactly what the guy means, when you are 17 or 18 years old and you have the world ahead of you and the prospect of an amazing career but with almost no responsibilities then life really cant get any better. It's never as much fun as you think it will be, is it? I get the guys complaint, but he is an idiot for trying to get sympathy on the internet.

Why do people think cos I earn good money I don't have bills to pay we all pay tax an we have mortgages to pay

Mortgage? How big is it that he can't just pay it off, on 35 grand a week???

Fuxsake.

It's cold comfort to the ones without it

To know how they struggled, how they struggled about it

If their lives were exotic and strange

They would likely have gladly exchanged

Them for something a little more plain

Maybe something a little more sane...

If he was suffering depression, genuine depression like Collymore I'd have sympathy for him.

As it is he appears to be just bitching and moaning on Twitter and generally being a dick, you would have thought he would have learned by now after his misses experiences with Twitter.

What he said may well have been taken in the wrong context, I can kind of see what he was trying to say, it doesn't detract from the **** stupidity of what he actually said or the absolutely predictable response he got.

Footballers on Twitter, when will they learn.

Footballers still get mortgages believe it or not. They usually get a very short term as that's all they get offered so they'd borrow like £2.5m over 7 years and that does have in roads into a salary let me tell you.

Then on top of that they usually get his n hers high powered cars on HP and gives the wag a Coutts card and that's where the trouble starts .

She has no problem going out on a Tuesday afternoon and buying a pair of shoes and handbag for £3k that she doesn't need. And then doing it again on Thursday.

Even if he borrowed £2.5m over 7 years at 5% the repayments would be £36,000 a month.

If he picked up 50% of his £35,000 per week basic pay he'd still have another £35,000 cash 'spare' each month. You can get a Bentley on lease for £1000 a month.

Agree but I know for a fact they do stupid stuff On top. My mate does the accounts for a few (not our players) but obviously I can't mention names and it's amazing how many get into trouble. Especially the younger ones on

Less money who think they can/should be living like the Rooneys (yes that's actually what lots of them aspire toward )

Â