Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

wedge

I hate their playing 'style'. Fair enough you play to your strengths but their anti-football team of cloggers are horrendous.

I can see another draw although there's always the hope that we nick it.

Worried that we'll be too lightweight for this lot.

Positives are Baker is nice and big so will be an asset if he has a good game (assuming Vlaar is out). Could be key.

Guzan is the best keeper we've had for a while at commanding his area.

I'd expect to see Benteke defending set pieces a lot and be effective.

If Vlaar's back it wouldn't be such a bad idea to move Baker out to left back. I know it's not his best position but Jason Roberts caused our defense enough issues on his own last week to suggest that we might need some added height in the defense.

Beyond that, we need to try and beat them at our game, rather than theirs. So long balls to Benteke isn't going to cut it, I also fear a little for our lightweight midfield.

the following was taken off a different forum after stoke beat wba on saturday, but an excellent post

"The Potters frustrated their hosts with an impressive defensive display in an uneventful and uninspiring game"

The above is taken from the BBC website report on todays game. In truth if you read any weekends newspapers, online reports, or listen to radio reports etc, you always get something highly similar describing Stokes games, win lose or draw. Normally commentators/pundits will throw in a standard "they are good at what they do" or "they play to their strenghts" phrase instead of stating clearly that what they actually do is stifle, suffocate, hoof the life out of a game! Its boring and for 90% of fans countrywide its simply not worthy of paying an entrance fee (or a tv subscription) to watch. That Stoke fans continually turn up to watch and apparently enjoy it suggests they are indeed a breed apart!

Personally I find it really sad that not one pundit will go out on a limb and openly condemn it for what it is and I dont like the fact that their manager was recently allowed to attempt to pick up the baton of fair play by calling for action on diving and cheating (which we all would like to see) without someone actually challenging him as to why he spends his week "coaching" his team to cheat - practicing holding, blocking, pulling shirts etc to reduce a game to a scrap, devoid of skill and creative play. I heard tonight the people in the studio on BBC 606 defending Stokes style (or lack off) but when will they realise that its not sour grape from a handful of fans of teams beaten by them - its the vast majority of football fans around the country who just do not want to watch Wrestling! Its awful rubbish and football would die a quick death if every team adopted their methods.

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=550&fid=255&sty=2&act=1&mid=2113696550

We need to get the ball down and play it, get some bookings for a couple of their midfielders and try to get one sent off. Carew played really well against stoke a few years back, so they actually usually have more trouble defending against big targets rather than small ones. 2-1 villa. Scrappy goal from Stoke - Benteke and Westwood for us.