• Bannan
    • Herd
    • Holman
    • Agbonlahor (capt)
    • Benteke
    • Williams (on for Herd - 65')
    • Delph (on for Bannan - 67')
    • El Ahmadi (on for Holman - 70')

I don't quite know what people expect from Lambert. Look at our squad: it isn't exactly overflowing with quality. I reckon he's done a solid job so far, especially when you consider the squad's age and the relatively little time we've had to play together. Benteke, Westwood, Lowton, and Vlaar were all good buys whom I expect to do plenty of good for us this season, not to mention the seasons after that.

Today's game against QPR and Tuesday's game against Reading were poor, that is true. But we're in a better spot now than we were 6 weeks ago.

Can't believe people think bringing on Bent and Ireland in that second half would have been a good idea! We were getting mauled in midfield, Benteke and Agbonlahor were battling and winning nothing - I would have rather put Given outfield than put on either Bent or Ireland. No I'm not being serious, but you get the point.

we weren't getting mauled in midfield because we quite simply didn't have one. it was attack vs. defence in that second half. beneteke and gabby were winning the ball to find absolutely nobody supporting them. ireland would have given them an option at least....

4 points from two main contenders, good in my book. The games were shit but it's the points that matter. Unbeaten again in two, need to get the ball rolling like we all want now. Couple of signings to shore things up a bit and we'll be fine, 8-12 position come end of season.

When we made the subs we were being overrun. Bringing Ireland and Bent on would have made it worse, in my opinion, because they add very little workrate (Bent particularly). WE WOULD HAVE LOST!

**** this imaginary bollocks that we might have won that game - QPR were all over us in that second half. Redknapp had them pumped up. A point isn't bad but losing would have been terrible. I don't love the subs and the formation but...well...we are a work in progress, that's for sure.

When we made the subs we were being overrun. Bringing Ireland and Bent on would have made it worse, in my opinion, because they add very little workrate (Bent particularly). WE WOULD HAVE LOST!

**** this imaginary bollocks that we might have won that game - QPR were all over us in that second half. Redknapp had them pumped up. A point isn't bad but losing would have been terrible. I don't love the subs and the formation but...well...we are a work in progress, that's for sure.

Ireland works a lot more than people gives him credit for. We were seriously lacking someone linking up upper the field behind Benteke. Have to admit though that the choise between KEA and Ireland were pretty much fifty-fifty so it's impossible to say how game would've turned if we'd brought Ireland instead KEA.

Delph was lot better than I expected, I think there's a good player somewhere in him.

Can't believe people think bringing on Bent and Ireland in that second half would have been a good idea! We were getting mauled in midfield, Benteke and Agbonlahor were battling and winning nothing - I would have rather put Given outfield than put on either Bent or Ireland. No I'm not being serious, but you get the point.

Well we threw in a player with as much premiership outfield experience as Given i.e. none at a vital point in that game today. It worked in that it didn't cost us the game but I can't see that Williams was more effective than Ireland would have been from watching the live feed. He was tidy but didn't make any great contribution.

So people aren't happy because our team, consisting largely of players from the lower leagues and the youth team, "only" managed a draw against a team made up of players who previously played for the likes of Real Madrid, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal in their first home game under an iconic manager who has previously won every first home game of every club he's ever managed?

Perhaps O'Leary was right.

I **** despair of Villa fans sometimes.

So people aren't happy because our team, consisting largely of players from the lower leagues and the youth team, "only" managed a draw against a team made up of players who previously played for the likes of Real Madrid, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal in their first home game under an iconic manager who has previously won every first home game of every club he's ever managed?

I hope you're not talking about me ;). I think QPR could've been there for the taking if Ireland would've played instead of Herd but maybe I'm not giving enough credit for QPR and Redknob.

Decent today.

Battled well.

Ireland is important to us as he's often the one who takes up the impetus and plays the ball forward, encouraging others to do so. Think Lambert played it safe by bringing him on so late, but he was making sure we didn't leave many holes at the back and give a silly goal away - we hung on and got a point, he was right.

Bent, rightly on the bench again. Not the game for him, Benteke was getting the shit kicked out of him battling for every ball. Bent wouldn't have touched it. He'll be handy to throw on in games we are dominating but cannot score in, hopefully next week!

Westwood very good again, Baker and Clark good against an experienced side. Bannan just needs to be more careful. Make sure with those passes through a crowd, he tends to give it away when trying to play positive which is a small bonus whenever he plays badly, he'd trying to do the right thing.

Forgettable match, we've claimed a decent point in. Well done to all, Lambert is the man.

11 th in the Form Table after playing Man U, Arsenal, and Man City. That'll do for now.

Some solid performances and never looked in much danger, dampened a crowd who would have been right up for it. Good subs in 2nd half. Baker excellent again, fancy him as a new Laursen when he matures, eally like him.

Love the Team spirit.

• Like 2

I hope you're not talking about me ;). I think QPR could've been there for the taking if Ireland would've played instead of Herd but maybe I'm not giving enough credit for QPR and Redknob.

If you think I am then you're probably right ;)

Seriously though, I've been reading that we should've beaten QPR because they're the worst team in the league. That's simply not true. They're having a bad season, but they've got the likes of SWP, Cissé, Granero, Julio Cesar they can call upon. Luke Young would still get into our matchday squad and he's not even in their 25.

Sure they're bottom of the league but that's no more representative of their quality than WBA being 3rd. They'll start picking up some wins in the coming weeks and this will look like a good point.

pity we can't 'like' mod posts as I would love this one!
  • Like 4

If you think I am then you're probably right ;)

Seriously though, I've been reading that we should've beaten QPR because they're the worst team in the league. That's simply not true. They're having a bad season, but they've got the likes of SWP, Cissé, Granero, Julio Cesar they can call upon. Luke Young would still get into our matchday squad and he's not even in their 25.

Sure they're bottom of the league but that's no more representative of their quality than WBA being 3rd. They'll start picking up some wins in the coming weeks and this will look like a good point.

Maybe, although QPR were really up for it and Redknob had clearly gotten them fired up, especially Wright-Phillips so maybe you are right but they have been utter shite for the whole season and I don't think Redknob can get them play well enough to get them safe. I know there are quite a many people who don't rate Ireland at all and thinks he is useless in defending but IMO he's been very good pressing opponents like in game against Manure and tends to bring composure for other players when he's on the pitch.

If we'd managed to score for 2-1 I think QPR would've folded but point from that game was decent enough.

You sound surprised?

Â