Jimzk5

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Sorry but this is just inaccurate in my view.

Jota wasn’t a bit part player for them, he made 34 appearances for them in the PL his last season, more than the previous season. He scored 7 goals.

You're right, bit part was an exaggeration and he did have more appearances than the previous season but less starts, less minutes, less goals and less assists. That is basically the definition of regression isn't it? He's regressed by almost every metric. AFAIK the only reason he made more appearances was because he was injured less.

He was good in the EL but they didn't play in it the year before so I can't really compare.

I haven't seen much of Wolves this season other than against us and on motd because they're boring but I have seen Spurs and Doherty has been shite. Sounds like his replacement has been similar

I'm not trying to critique their transfer policy as I don't really care about Wolves, my only point was that they don't need to sell cheap and all indications are that Neto would cost £70m plus.

I don't think we'll spend that on one player (this summer at least)

Edit - For reference, with a quarter of the season still to go Neto has already played more minutes, made more starts and got more goal involvements than Jota did last season with Wolves. He seems to be far more key to them than Jota was.

Edited by YouUnastanFren

Interesting point made on Fosun by the price of football podcast a couple of months ago. . 

In short Porto were desperate for money due to Covid. Mendes instigated Silva sale for 35 million and made 7 million himself.  According to my Portuguese brother in law, Silva had played a handful of times, maybe worth 6,7 million at most. Benfica, Sporting fans etc calling corruption. 

I wonder if it's a case of selling their souls to get Into the PL now they are paying their dues back to Mendes. 1,2 of Mendes younger developing players coming in, with a marquee signing or 2 out each summer. 

If that is the case, that's a dangerous game. You can only circle the plug hole so many times. 

On 07/04/2021 at 11:51, TrentVilla said:

Absolutely worth it in my view, on another level to Traore entirely.

Yep in the 0-0 Adama barely did anything until a half decent cross in 92nd minute. From Wolves limited attacks they all came through Neto and he gave Targett one of his hardest games of the season.

Next step for us is to go to a rival team on similar level to us and sign their best player. Last did it with Bent over a decade ago now so eventually to be as good as we all want us to be again we will have to do it and I agree Neto would be very exciting signing.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Interesting point made on Fosun by the price of football podcast a couple of months ago. . 

In short Porto were desperate for money due to Covid. Mendes instigated Silva sale for 35 million and made 7 million himself.  According to my Portuguese brother in law, Silva had played a handful of times, maybe worth 6,7 million at most. Benfica, Sporting fans etc calling corruption. 

I wonder if it's a case of selling their souls to get Into the PL now they are paying their dues back to Mendes. 1,2 of Mendes younger developing players coming in, with a marquee signing or 2 out each summer. 

If that is the case, that's a dangerous game. You can only circle the plug hole so many times. 

Silva is still pretty raw but I think he's good decent movement, just the finishing is miles off but he took his goal well the other night. Fee was miles OTT but I do think there's a decent striker bubbling there and of course he's still very young.

Wolves season basically ended when Jimenez and Luiz clashed heads at Arsenal. Imagine if we'd lost Jack in early December for effectively the season, wouldn't have been pretty at all as it's been bad enough last 6 weeks and it's same for Wolves with what he gives them in final third. Podence has also been injured a fair bit in last two months aswell.

You're paying for what he will be not for what he is

And he is generally considered one of the best CF youngsters in europe, played too much football this year in too key a position, he's not ready, it would be like Ollie getting injured and us playing Barry all season 

They'll probably sign vitinha this summer, he doesn't look ready either, definitely not to replace Moutinho or Neves

Porto have some other good young talents too, hopefully wolves don't get fabio vieira 

Bad blow if Wolves were planning to cash in on him.

Guess they'll be crossing their fingers someone wants to blow 30-40m on Adama but feels unlikely, Neves could perhaps go instead.

Many of their other regulars are in 28-30 bracket so not a huge amount there especially as clubs will be waiting to see what Raul Jimenez is like when he plays again.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I feel like the focus a few weeks ago was all on Podence, and then is now all on Neto? Did something change, or am I just behind the times?

(I don't watch their matches, ain't got time for that shit)

Podence actually been injured himself for a few months (didn't play in the 0-0 v us) and only just come back.

Yeah he's decent but Neto has really kicked on this season so big blow for Wolves if he's out for half of next season aswell.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Podence actually been injured himself for a few months (didn't play in the 0-0 v us) and only just come back.

Yeah he's decent but Neto has really kicked on this season so big blow for Wolves if he's out for half of next season aswell.

Is Neto a better player than Podence, in your opinion?

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Is Neto a better player than Podence, in your opinion?

Yeah I'd say so. Easy to forget how young Neto is. Only just turned 21. Feels like he's on Diogo Jota type trajectory with how he's kicked on. Was really impressed how he was their sole attacking outlet in the 0-0.

Podence is good but mid 20s now and think Wolves is around his level.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

A work colleague who is a wolves fan thinks they will get £150 million for Traore, Neves and Neto........

Probably wouldn't get far off it. 100 for Neves and Neto and some stupid team might overpay for Traore

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Probably wouldn't get far off it. 100 for Neves and Neto and some stupid team might overpay for Traore

The papers would probably put the highest value on traore...

But neto and Neves for £50m is very easy to imagine, Neves to City, neto to utd 

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The hard part to believe is that there's going to be interest from top teams in Neves. He's been poor most of the season, and spent a lot of it on the bench.

I can see him at a Spurs or Arsenal maybe even Liverpool but I think he hasn't been as good for nearly 18 months

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So on the WM phone in Franksi said he had heard from several fairly reliable sources that Nuno is going to Benfica at the end of the season.

Bound to be another manager from the Mendes stable if that happens.......Welcome Karanka

• Haha 1

No idea if he's Mendes client but can see them getting Paulo Fonseca as seems Roma will sack him in a few weeks and he probably fancies premier league stint. Has Marco Silva managed since he left Everton, feels like he'll pop up again in premier league eventually.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

No idea if he's Mendes client but can see them getting Paulo Fonseca as seems Roma will sack him in a few weeks and he probably fancies premier league stint. Has Marco Silva managed since he left Everton, feels like he'll pop up again in premier league eventually.

Apparently Leeds are talking to him 

Â