Jimzk5

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well a lot of players from generations before are suffering from dementia and people like Shearer and Southgate are saying they are worried they might get it as well. They are already planning for kids to be banned from heading

It might be true that some ex footballers are suffering from effects of heading the ball.

However, banning heading would literally change the sport to a different discipline. Football would literally cease to exist as we know it if you can't put a cross in hoping the CB heads it in. This will never happen.

Also, today's footballers (including kids) play with much lighter balls, and are better trained in order to lower the impact - it is not 1980s/1990s hardcore sport that the kids encounter today.

Also, simply because some footballers are suffering from long terms affects of the sport (not all, and correlation can't be 100% conclusive) it does not mean heading should be banned. For instance, does anyone talk about banning rugby all together due to concussions that happen on frequent basis? In rugby, concussions result in about 25% of all injuries in which a player has to miss the game. 

Frankly, if you want to lower the risk of pulled muscles, torn ACLs, broken legs, or concussions, maybe football is not the sport for you. It's just a part of the game, and if you desperately want to avoid EVER being in a car crash, well, don't get in the car. But we know that is a ridiculous proposition. 

13 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It might be true that some ex footballers are suffering from effects of heading the ball.

However, banning heading would literally change the sport to a different discipline. Football would literally cease to exist as we know it if you can't put a cross in hoping the CB heads it in. This will never happen.

Also, today's footballers (including kids) play with much lighter balls, and are better trained in order to lower the impact - it is not 1980s/1990s hardcore sport that the kids encounter today.

Also, simply because some footballers are suffering from long terms affects of the sport (not all, and correlation can't be 100% conclusive) it does not mean heading should be banned. For instance, does anyone talk about banning rugby all together due to concussions that happen on frequent basis? In rugby, concussions result in about 25% of all injuries in which a player has to miss the game. 

Frankly, if you want to lower the risk of pulled muscles, torn ACLs, broken legs, or concussions, maybe football is not the sport for you. It's just a part of the game, and if you desperately want to avoid EVER being in a car crash, well, don't get in the car. But we know that is a ridiculous proposition. 

Rugby is a professional sport less than 25 years they dont know the damage players bodies have really taken yet. Somebody like Jonny Sexton or George North will probably be in terrible condition when they are 60

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Rugby is a professional sport less than 25 years they dont know the damage players bodies have really taken yet. Somebody like Jonny Sexton or George North will probably be in terrible condition when they are 60

Absolutely, I think they will suffer the consequences and I wish them all the best.

Which doesn't mean Rugby should be banned or fundamentally changed, much like boxing should not be banned and is unlikely to have major changes to it. Heading in football will not be banned. 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But would they trade their experiences and memories for better health?

I doubt they would, we seem to have moved to placing more emphasis on long life than living a good life, just existing isn’t living.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I doubt they would, we seem to have moved to placing more emphasis on long life than living a good life, just existing isn’t living.

is more to life than sport though, especially when probably cant remember it later in life. Not to mention the pain and suffering on your family

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

is more to life than sport though, especially when probably cant remember it later in life. Not to mention the pain and suffering on your family

Whether you play sport or not later life tends to involve erosion of memory.

If someone said to me I could be a professional footballer but it would shave up to 10 years off my life expectancy I’d bite their hand off, as I suspect would many others.

Might seem strange to some but I really don’t get the fascination with elongating life, being old doesn’t seem that much fun to me as an outside observer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Haha, saw some of the greatest goals ever scored in football with one of those.

You could shoot from behind the goal and swerve it in 🤣

Or take a goal kick and have go in your own net on a really blustery day. This needs to happen! Where's that Captain Picard gif!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Pitman_Pod said:

Or take a goal kick and have go in your own net on a really blustery day. This needs to happen! Where's that Captain Picard gif!?

I bet Nyland could do that with any football 😉😂

• Haha 3

I can see goal kicks being banned from being head height before too long. That's a quick way to stop many pointless heading duels on the halfway line and you see vast majority of teams take goal kicks short to drag the other team out of possesion so completely different game to what it was even 5 years ago when most teams would just kick long.

Can't see any time soon though when corners and wide free kicks are banned from head height though.

• Like 2

On 17/03/2021 at 10:24, bannedfromHandV said:

Ask alex popham or steve Thompson or the whole host of other players all with permanent debilitating illnesses in their 30's/40's all as a direct result of playing rugby. 

On 17/03/2021 at 10:43, bannedfromHandV said:

Might seem strange to some but I really don’t get the fascination with elongating life, being old doesn’t seem that much fun to me as an outside observer.

I know plenty of lads in their 70's/80's enjoying life and retirement. Travelling, boozing, golf, etc. If you look after yourself you can be very healthy later in life. 

It's easy to say when you are young that you're not bothering about being old and wrinkly. I bet when you're 60 you wont be saying I've only got 5 years left in me. You'll be saying you've at least another 20 years. 

Edited by villa89

• 3 weeks later...

Injuries have really played their part. From the outside looking in, it seemed like they went about 3 seasons without any serious injuries only to have several horrific ones in the past 12-18 months. 

There are probably other factors. Again, from a casually observed viewpoint it seems like things have gone a bit stagnant, the momentum has kinda disappeared. Don’t know how much of an impact their foray into Europe has had on them. 

Things can change very quickly.

• Like 3

They went through a stage where it seemed they could do no wrong in the transfer market every player they signed seemed to make an impact and fit into their team seamlessly and make them better. But the last really good window they had was the one when they were promoted, since then Neto aside, their signings haven't made much of an impact. They also have a big problem in central midfield, which was apparent before this season but they failed to address it.

If Fulham beat them on Friday they will only be six points above the relegation zone, they're lucky that after that they have games against Albion, Sheffield United, Burnley and Brighton to get some points and make sure of safety, because their final three games are Spurs, Everton and Man Utd, wouldn't want to be going into those still not yet safe.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Injuries have really played their part. From the outside looking in, it seemed like they went about 3 seasons without any serious injuries only to have several horrific ones in the past 12-18 months. 

There are probably other factors. Again, from a casually observed viewpoint it seems like things have gone a bit stagnant, the momentum has kinda disappeared. Don’t know how much of an impact their foray into Europe has had on them. 

Things can change very quickly.

They had a system that is still fine defensively but when teams sit back on them they are a bit clueless. Jimenez is a huge loss and Neves has been a bit disappointing since promotion. Not sure if the system or that he hasnt evolved his game 

Playing a back 4 with Coady completely shows his inability as a centre back

• Like 1

I think neves is wasted there to be honest. Of i was him i would be looking to move on.

Also shows what a miss jota is to them. They must have felt the other signings they made would covered the loss of jota but seems that was massive blunder selling him

Â