Jimzk5

19 hours ago, Andy81 said:

I don't want to argue with you, but it really isn't.

As I've said earlier in the thread, the feeling of Wolves fans towards was fine, and towards the Villa fans generally still is.  When we played you the first time it was a huge win for us, we weren't singing 'Mind the gap' then.

All of a sudden Villa staff started talking about Wolves, after that, we started, as a reaction.

I'm not arguing with you just presenting to whats happened this season. I see wolves fans mocking us more than West Brom bizarrely.

But like I said villa fans dont actually care about wolves.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm not arguing with you just presenting to whats happened this season. I see wolves fans mocking us more than West Brom bizarrely.

But like I said villa fans dont actually care about wolves.

Ok mate, I’m bored of it now to be honest. 

We sing plenty about West Brom, but mostly just about Wolves. 

Lets be honest, West Brom have been a bit easy this season where as Villa have been a threat. 

We started the season singing ‘West Bromwich Albion, we’re coming for you’

then it became clear they wouldn’t be there. 

Anyway, hope you’re enjoying the sun up there, well done on thumping Ipswich. 

• Like 3

"Championship winners Wolves have had their relationship with super agent Jorge Mendes approved by the EFL, who say he "holds no role at the club"...

...The EFL findings said that Mendes should not be categorised as a 'relevant person' because he does not have the powers of a director or senior official at the club. A 'relevant person' can also be someone who has control over the affairs of the club."

(Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43896789)

Absolutely laughable and, hopefully, going to open floodgates everywhere.

Not really surprising given theyre now a PL problem, something tells me if the likes of utd raised a concern the PL will be more interested than the EFL

And if wolves do actually start to threaten someones place at the top table then it will raise a concern

• Like 1

Yes been reading about this.

Am I right in thinking that the owners can have a share in Mendes’ company because he’s not a “relevant” individual to the club?

Will be interesting to see if this is brought up again when the owners go through the premier league fit & proper test. 

I would rather we had kept out of it, but there you go. I suppose it’s clarified the rules a bit more so other clubs will do similar if they can.

More power to agents, relevant or otherwise, can only be a good thing for the game :unsure:

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Most powerful man in world football at moment

Fwiw what Wolves do is nothing towards City dodgy money and Chelsea loaning out 583,953 players who will never play for the club

It’s more dodgy, absolutely. Sure, City and Chelsea have money but they’re also huge sides who can attract talent. 

A side in the Championship signing Porto’s captain? Yeah, OK - Mendes I’m sure had no “relevance” there. He certainly must have been looking after the players’ best interests only  :detect: 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

So he dont work for the club yet they sign a load of clients he is involved with.

That's how it works with any club and any agent.

Does it bother you that Wolves have about the same number of players through another agency?

Genuinely, those posters and tweeters who are still unhappy about this don't look great.  People were calling for Wolves to be investigated, they have been two or three times now, everything has been shown to be above board.

Edited by Andy81
  • Like 1

It’s this bit here.

The EFL statement in response deals with only part of the clarification sought. FA rules prohibit a company or person who owns a club to also own a stake in an agency; Wolves’ arrangements are thought to pass because the stake in Gestifute is not directly held by Fosun but by a company owned by its chairman, Guo Guangchang.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/25/jorge-mendes-wolves-efl-comply

So yep, if that’s the case, they’ve got round it by those means. Well done Wolves.

But Wolves supporters who are getting defensive about all this are, in my opinion, kidding themselves if they wouldn’t want another club investigated/have the rules clarified on something like this.

49 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Does it bother you that Wolves have about the same number of players through another agency?

Genuinely, those posters and tweeters who are still unhappy about this don't look great.  People were calling for Wolves to be investigated, they have been two or three times now, everything has been shown to be above board.

I agree with you. They've done nothing wrong, it's all fine and above board. And if they've used a somewhat cunning ploy to gain an advantage, well good for them.

I think a seperate issue might be around whether the rules are as good as they could be, but imagine it's hard to make anything water-tight. I think we'd all want to protect against our (or any club) being harmed by an agent's shenanigans. Wolves appear to have a good situation. I wonder if hypothetically you had a bad agent moving his players around in a way that harmed the club, whether we'd consider the rules adequate - for example, hypothetically an agent moving good players on from our club, leading to subsequent relegation. Then the same questions would apply, but kind of in a different way - should an agent have that much embedded influence?

For clarity Wolves and Mendez etc - all fine. No issues.

• Like 1

I'm not being defensive, there is nothing to defend.

Wolves, like many other clubs have a relationship with an agent, it just happens to be a **** good one.

We're getting it right in the management of the club for the first time in decades, we're used to being out manoeuvred there, believe me.

Edit:- In reply to @Shropshire Lad

Edited by Andy81

1 minute ago, Andy81 said:

I'm not being defensive, there is nothing to defend.

Wolves, like many other clubs have a relationship with an agent, it just happens to be a **** good one.

We're getting it right in the management of the club for the first time in decades, we're used to being out manoeuvred there, believe me.

Edit:- In reply to @Shropshire Lad

I didn’t mention you, just in the same way you didn’t mention any particular poster :)

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think a seperate issue might be around whether the rules are as good as they could be, but imagine it's hard to make anything water-tight. I think we'd all want to protect against our (or any club) being harmed by an agent's shenanigans. Wolves appear to have a good situation. I wonder if hypothetically you had a bad agent moving his players around in a way that harmed the club, whether we'd consider the rules adequate - for example, hypothetically an agent moving good players on from our club, leading to subsequent relegation. Then the same questions would apply, but kind of in a different way - should an agent have that much embedded influence?

I agree this could be worth looking at.

What I will say is, while that's a laudable aim, if Wolves were finishing the season in 15th place, Villa and Leeds wouldn't have been flagging this up for the good of Wolves.

I remember maybe 18 months to 2 years ago reading about how when Fosun buy a business, they look to build relationships with experts in the field in some way, you can see that's what they've done.

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I didn’t mention you, just in the same way you didn’t mention any particular poster :)

I know, sorry if it came across like that, I didn't intend it too.

It's too hot in my office :) 

1 hour ago, Andy81 said:

What I will say is, while that's a laudable aim, if Wolves were finishing the season in 15th place, Villa and Leeds wouldn't have been flagging this up for the good of Wolves.

I remember maybe 18 months to 2 years ago reading about how when Fosun buy a business, they look to build relationships with experts in the field in some way, you can see that's what they've done.

Yeah, agree with that, too. Though I will say that with Wolves having some champions league standard players brought to the club on low wages (for their ability) by an agent who is also the manager's agent and in essence Wolves having the best team, best manager...etc etc. other clubs are almost bound to go "hold on a minute how the heck did that all happen? is it even allowed" - you're right no one would maybe give a hoot if you were 15th, but that was never going to happen with the quality etc. Wolves brought in.

LIke I said, no qualms from me, well done and good luck.

22 hours ago, Andy81 said:

So you think you could have signed neves if you didn't have a relationship with mendes? Come on get real.

21 hours ago, Andy81 said:

significant point Andy.

Personally, I have no issue with Wolves or how they do their business.

I wish you well.

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So you think you could have signed neves if you didn't have a relationship with mendes? Come on get real.

Of course we’d need a relationship with Mendes, as well as employing his former coach. 

There’s nothing wrong with either thing. 

Â