Smart Watches

mykeyb

I have to admit I am a bit of a sucker for tech and watches so a Smart Watch bound to be of interested.

I did used to own a Sony Liveview which was OK, the major flaw was that it had to be snapped out of the holder every time you needed to charge it and that was pretty much every day.

I liked the look of the I'M Watch but the price tag was ridiculous and some user reviews have not been kind. The Pebble seemed a good alternative if they ever ship and they have missed 3 promised deadlines but the price seemed more reasonable.
I tried to get a metawatch of ebay as there seems to be a bit of a developer community building but it went for more than you can buy them direct (as they have just gone live on the Metawatch website.

So in the end I got a Sony Smartwatch of ebay for £20.00 and I have to say its a massive improvement on the Liveview. Seems to be plenty of apps in the store, battery lasts about a week and works really well to alert you of incoming calls when you phone is on silent in your pocket.

I still cant really see what all the fuss about smart watches is about. I kinda get it if you have an Android phone, at least you will be able to have some interesting interactions between the phone and watch (good luck with that on iOS) but other than being able to read text messages on my wrist in a font so tiny I'll have to have the face of the watch six inches from my nose anyway what is the main reason for getting one? Being able to have a phone on silent in my pocket rather than vibrate doesnt seem enough somehow.

Absolutely not. I get why somebody might think it's cool, I guess it's just because I consider a watch to be jewellery and I'd rather have a nice anologue watch over pretty much anything Dick Tracy can offer.

• Like 1

I think the pebble will actually be useful, but I won't know until I get it. Certainly the screenshots at that link show what it might be able to do. Combined with some time- and location- based logic, I'm looking forward to having a play. You are right that it'll make lousy jewellery though.

My views on watches are well known: if you're not spending big money on it for the sole purpose of saying "I'm richer than you", there's no point.

That said, smart watches could fall into that category if they're sufficiently pricey and featureful.

Will be interested to hear your views on your Pebble when you get it as I would imagine there will be plenty of developers waiting to get into it.

The Pebble is the only one i think that you dont have to switch on / wake up to find out the time due to its e-ink display

Dodgyknees if you want one for xmas I think your choice could be limited to a Sony Smartwatch or a Metawatch, Sonys are available on ebay for around the £30.00 mark which is too expensive way to try one out.

• 4 weeks later...

i got a hree sony smartwatch with my upgrade its very useful as i now hardly miss a phonecall due to it vibrating on my wrist, only drawback is it needs the phone to control all the widgets ect... and there arent many apps compatible with it, but for free i wasnt compaining. i found the battery if you have it set to read tweets,text messages ect.. lasts about 18hrs seen them test it on the gadget show and they loved it you can also set it up so you can answer your phone if you have a bluetooth headset and then theres the neat find my phone feature which tells you phone to ring so you can find it aslong as your within about 10meters or so.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

How much does one cost and what phones does it work with?

If you get on the kickstarter about $200. It can be used with pretty much any phone or you can put a sim in it and used it as a phone. Particularly good for Glass.
  • Like 1

I think smart watches will really catch on, but only if the makers realise their market is the non watch wearing people as pretty much any person who wears a watch wouldn't dream of buying one that needs charging. 

Why not? I always wear a watch (granted not usually several £k's worth of wanky chronograph) but I'd take it off at night and charge it just like I charge my phone. 

I may be the exception.....but I doubt it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't understand this. My phone is on me or near me 24/7 as with most of yous I reckon. So why do I need a watch to tell me I have a txt message (that I'll probably want to reply to, which no doubt involves me taking my phone out of my pocket). 

I'll have your money if your giving it away. Give your phone to me, whenever somebody sends you a txt I'll txt you to let you know. No wait, that won't work... 

Yeah, still don't get. Explaineth please.

Â