New TV advice

CVByrne

Going to be getting a new tv in a few days, and since it's for my bedroom anything bigger than 32'' won't fit. Have been looking at this Samsung since I've found it for £400, but I figured it would be a good idea to ask here for any other recommendations. Anything as good that's cheaper? (I don't really care about 3D, either) Looking at tv's with 200hz as i've had some pretty bad sets for motion blur since I use it for gaming/movies mostly it's noticeable.

Edited by Rino8

• 2 weeks later...

what do you actually look for when tv shopping? not too interested in 3D or smart apps stuff just want the best picture and sound

got about £600-800 to spend on one, at the moment its one of these 4 - 

samsung ue46f6670

panasonic tx-l47et60

sony kdl42w653

lg 47la620v

not a clue which one is the best, review sites are pretty much all over the place

As I said previously, when I was buying my latest TV, I wasn't in the least bit interested in Smart TV.

But, the TV I ended up getting has it, and its actually really cool. I don't use it loads, but if you have Netflix and use YouTube a fair bit then its worth getting

I've had a Sony kdl40x3500 (one of these)

front.jpg

as my main TV for 6 years. Never had a problem with it, picture is as perfect as it's ever been.

Lovely TV, and I've no reason to change it in the near future.

So overrated rubbish? Maybe some of their stuff. But their high end TVs (that one was very highly rated when I bought it) seem top notch from my experience.

Yeah mine wasn't cheap. Won't argue with them possibly being overpriced. Although that was one of the highest rated on the market at the time (buyer's remorse meant I did a lot of research!) so you could say it was worth it.

what is your latest TV stevo?

You mean the Sony or the one with Smart TV that I mentioned further up?

If it's the latter then it's This

Nothing special. But for £170 (it was on sale when I got it) it's been more than enough for what I needed it for.

It was for my bedroom, hence why it's only a 24"

Edited by Stevo985

A Sony would be the last TV I would get. Overrated rubbish.

Poppycock!

The 42W6 can be bought for a shade over £450 and beats pretty much all the equivalent sets on HDTV tests.

Sorry, maybe went over the top with overpriced rubbish.

I meant to say, out of that list, the Sony would be the last one I would buy. From my own experience Panasonic have never made a bad TV, Samsung and LG are both excellent now, Sony are quite expensive and rarely are any better than anything else.

Yeah, I'll go with that. My only problem, and it's not really a problem, is that with LG and Samsung, the sheer volume of devices they churn out means there are a ton of rubbish ones and it takes more research to find the good ones.

Panasonics are excellent, especially their Plasmas.

• 5 months later...

So I'm looking at a new TV at the moment, looking at spending around £400-500 so probably around the 40-42" size. I'd like LED and Smart TV features but other than that really not sure what I'm looking for. Anyone care to offer some advice?

I've seen the Samsung UE40H5510 for £399 which looks good and has a 5 year warranty with John Lewis but for all I know it could be a heap of crap.

Edit: forgot to mention that it will mainly be used for General TV watching and the odd game of FIFA, nothing fancy so I'm unlikely to notice tiny imperfections with regards to picture quality. Cheers in advance!

Edited by Nath182

So I'm looking at a new TV at the moment, looking at spending around £400-500 so probably around the 40-42" size. I'd like LED and Smart TV features but other than that really not sure what I'm looking for. Anyone care to offer some advice?

I've seen the Samsung UE40H5510 for £399 which looks good and has a 5 year warranty with John Lewis but for all I know it could be a heap of crap.

Edit: forgot to mention that it will mainly be used for General TV watching and the odd game of FIFA, nothing fancy so I'm unlikely to notice tiny imperfections with regards to picture quality. Cheers in advance!

I recently purchased the Sony Bravia KDL42W829 for £599 with free soundbar, cracking TV and expect prices to drop a tad now the WC has finished.

I recently purchased the Sony Bravia KDL42W829 for £599 with free soundbar, cracking TV and expect prices to drop a tad now the WC has finished.

That one looks good, but it looks to be slightly out of my price range at the moment. I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully the price will drop, cheers Jim!

Apart from Richer Sounds where else is there to get decent prices on TVs?

I was looking for a cheap LED TV for my daughters bedroom and ended up looking at Argos, Currys & RS which was a tad dissapointing.

Â