New TV advice

CVByrne

• 2 months later...

I've just got the LG 42LM640T for £599. All I can say is WOW!

The picture quality is stunning. I always thought my full HD LCD TV was great quality til I saw my brothers 100hz Finlux LED TV, but this just shits on both from a HUGE height. Firstly the 400 MCI frame rate is jaw dropping. Pop the blueray of Dark Knight Rises and I was blown away. Then I turned the 3D on and it just works effortlessly. I set it to cinema 3D and it's not the stuff coming out at you that impresses so much, but the depth. I can't recommend it enough.

I went for LG as I really can't see why anyone would pay the ridiculous prices for Active glasses when ou can grab passive ones cheaply, or use the ones from the cinema. The apps on it are great. Streaming in SuperHD on Netflix is magic, and I've already got it playing the US Netflix app. Best £600 I've spent in a long time.

• 2 months later...

Ok, help needed folks. Want to get a new TV for when I move. Currently got a 32" Samsung LCD which is decent. That will be used as my bedroom TV so I am looking for something for the living room. I think 42" will be the ideal size as the room isn't that big.

Had a read though the 4 pages and seems LG are getting decent reviews. I'm pleased with my Samsung so wouldn't be averse to getting another one. Questions are... what refresh rate? Smart or not? 3D or not? Budget is about £600-700 if possible. Also, are these sound bars any good? Thanks!

It really helps people recommend things if you give some information about how you will use it. TV, home cinema, gaming. Same for the sound bar; they can be good or bad depending on what you want to do with them and the conditions in the room they are used in.

When you ask such a general question you'll only get general advice (like "read avforums"). That might be all you need.

Ok sorry... will be used purely for TV and DVD's (blue rays). No gaming whatsoever. Don't need audiophile sound, or surround sound. Just a decent TV watching experience although I am aware that the stock speakers in TV's are usually shite, hence the request for soundbar advice. 

• Like 1

Pick one from here - http://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/lcd-and-plasma/lcd-led-tvs#2

And one from here (ideally the BDVN590) - http://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/home-cinema-separates/home-cinema-systems#1

Bob's yer auntie's live-in boyfriend.

Smart TVs sound great but I never use the features as I have a full Sky set-up and don't use Netflix.  Similarly 3D - I never use it.  I'm not sure on refresh rate as sometimes the higher ones can actual be a distraction as it's faster than the actual film.  Obviously if you're working to a budget and the TV has loads of features it probably won't be great at them.  Best focus on a TV that does what you want and will do it well.

Pop into your local Richer Sounds.  They'll sell you what you need within your budget and they price match.  Seriously, you'd be mad to go anywhere else.

Edited by NurembergVillan
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Vt'ers, some advice please

I'm buying myself a TV for my bedroom for my birthday. Thinking of going for this

I'm not after anything special, just a smallish TV to pop on the wall of my room so I can further rot my brain by watching TV in bed. But I would like to a get decent enough one. Would need Freeview HD and would possibly be plugging my PS3 in there.

Anyone got any advice for anything better at a similar price (around £200 or less. Don't want to break the bank)?
That one seems to have reviewed fairly well, with the only cons being small issues with the "Smart" system. But to be honest I don't really care about the smart bit (which could be an issue itself. Could I get the same TV for less money if I didn't bother with this smart malarky?)

I know I'll probably get directed to avforums. I did have a look on there but couldn't find anything on this TV. Don't really want to join up just to ask one question so thought I'd ask you lovely chaps first

Aye, my cousin's got an LG that he's had for about 7 years and he still loves it and it still looks great. My sister has one too and although she's far form an expert, I've always been impressed when I've watched anything on hers.

Think this might be a goer unless anyone comes up with any reason why I shouldn't get it. Can't turn my nose up at that price.

Considering the TV I had in my lounge cost me about £1600, this seems like an absolute bargain :D

If I were buying a TV for my lounge, one that I really do care about having the best one (that I can afford anyway) I'd pay more attention to which one I get and what manufacturer etc.

In this case, it's just a "decent" one for my room, so I can't turn down the one above at hat price. Samsungs are more expensive (the ones I can find anyway).

1 word of warning on LG smart TVs - it's come to light that if you connect it up to the net, your TV will be sending "non-personal" information (like what channels your watching, what media you're accessing from USB devices) back to them (original blog link).

There's an option to turn data collection off (it's on by default), but that option doesn't actually do anything - the TV will carry on collecting this data and sending it off onto a "non existent" server (to be fixed "soon").

LG have gone from "you accepted these T's & C's  when you bought the TV, so deal with it suckas" to "we're most definitely not storing this information or using it to target ads, honest guv" and flirt between the two depending on which side of the bed their PR dept woke up on.

i prefer sansung over LG, dont like the menus at all on Lg tvs. i love my samsung tv, best thing i have ever purchased

Sansung are OK but you can't beat a Sorny or a genuine Panaphonics.
  • Like 2

1 word of warning on LG smart TVs - it's come to light that if you connect it up to the net, your TV will be sending "non-personal" information (like what channels your watching, what media you're accessing from USB devices) back to them (original blog link).

There's an option to turn data collection off (it's on by default), but that option doesn't actually do anything - the TV will carry on collecting this data and sending it off onto a "non existent" server (to be fixed "soon").

LG have gone from "you accepted these T's & C's  when you bought the TV, so deal with it suckas" to "we're most definitely not storing this information or using it to target ads, honest guv" and flirt between the two depending on which side of the bed their PR dept woke up on.

Cheers for the warning.

That doesn't really bother me to be honest. As long as it's non personal stuff I@m not massively fussed, but appreciate the heads up

Hopefully they find that information as boring as I have found collecting it to be.

• 2 weeks later...
Â