New TV advice

CVByrne

21 minutes ago, Chindie said:

How's the C6? I've been eyeing one as the 'value' option for getting onboard with OLED.  Have some concerns about the OLED with HDR given the lack of peak brightness even with the great black performance, the motion handling and frankly the cost over similar sets. But they do have that 'shiny' factor which counts for a lot...

It's a great TV not perfect but what TV is?

I don't have any issues with the brightness and the really bright highlights in HDR content is more than enough for me. Any brighter and it would start to hurt my eyes. This is an opinion shared across the owners over on AVF. 

I don't have any issues with motion either, however I'm not that susceptible to it. Football and film content is as good as my previous Sony Bravia and that was one of the best in its class for motion handling. Gaming is also great although I wouldn't class myself as a hardcore gamer so I haven't noticed the slight increase in input lag over the Sony. I have read about issues some people have had with juddering on 24p content but I have yet to try any and this can be reduced using the dejudder/de blur settings.

The 3D on the C6 is off the charts! I was never a massive fan, but now will watch any film that has a 3D version. My jaw fell to the flaw when I watched Avatar and the Hobbit Trilogy recently.

The biggest downside for me is the HD content on sky can look a little soft on the lower bit rate channels. The main channels like Atlantic, Sky one, sports and the terrestrial channels all look great though. 

The other possible downside is the curve. I was really worried about it as I'm not a fan but I can honestly say I don't even notice it. It neither improves or detracts from the image. 

I can highly recommend it, and in my opinion it's the best bang for buck TV you can get right now. Currently a shade over £1400 from Currys with code. Oh and nearly forgot, the smart functionality is the best I have ever used and enabled me to bin off my Fire TV  box. 

• Like 1

On 21 June 2017 at 19:51, V01 said:

Is it "safe" to buy a 4k tv yet?

safe as in have they settled on a hdr standard yet?

The Live version of HDR is still awaiting ratification so i would expect to see another version like "HDR-Live"

Current VP9 Codecs that play things like netflix or amazon will also need upgrading as they can only handle UHD content. 

Not sure if its achievable via software updates.

• 5 weeks later...

really want a new telly.  Reckon the biggest my living room will support is 55-58", although I like the idea of something bigger.

What should I be looking for?  I know I want UHD, and presumably HDR too.  But then there's 8-bit, 8-bit with something that replicates 10 bit, and 10 bit.  And of course OLED.

My last telly cost a grand, but I'm going to struggle to justify it this time around.  The last one was bought 4-5 years ago so I can warrant a new TV but reckon I'll struggle to get past about £800 this time.

Will I find something good for that money, or am I better sitting tight and waiting till Black Friday comes along and my budget has gone up accordingly too?

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

really want a new telly.  Reckon the biggest my living room will support is 55-58", although I like the idea of something bigger.

What should I be looking for?  I know I want UHD, and presumably HDR too.  But then there's 8-bit, 8-bit with something that replicates 10 bit, and 10 bit.  And of course OLED.

My last telly cost a grand, but I'm going to struggle to justify it this time around.  The last one was bought 4-5 years ago so I can warrant a new TV but reckon I'll struggle to get past about £800 this time.

Will I find something good for that money, or am I better sitting tight and waiting till Black Friday comes along and my budget has gone up accordingly too?

On 1/3/2017 at 11:53, Stevo985 said:

Still haven't taken the plunge on mine. But this is my new favourite

My uncle has just got one and I saw it last week. Looks fantastic, and I have good experience with Sony. My current TV is a bravia. Approaching 10 years old now but it's been excellent and never had a single problem with it.

This is what I got a few months back. The link in that quote is broken but here it is on Richer Sounds

£849 from there (might be able to find it cheaper?).

I love it. 4K, 55 inch HDR. No problems so far, it's beautiful.

You're not going to find an OLED TV, at least a decent one, for your sort of budget.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

If you can still find one the 2016 Samsung KS7/8000 are great TV's and pretty much tick all your boxes and should be within budget.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This is what I got a few months back. The link in that quote is broken but here it is on Richer Sounds

£849 from there (might be able to find it cheaper?).

I love it. 4K, 55 inch HDR. No problems so far, it's beautiful.

You're not going to find an OLED TV, at least a decent one, for your sort of budget.

I've found an ex-display model with no damage for £699.  Worth a punt?

Knew I wouldn't be able to get OLED for that budget, but wondered if I should wait for that to come down in price rather than spend now.

EDIT - come to think of it, I dunno how I feel about ex-display.  You never know how it's been treated...

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Knew I wouldn't be able to get OLED for that budget, but wondered if I should wait for that to come down in price rather than spend now.

EDIT - come to think of it, I dunno how I feel about ex-display.  You never know how it's been treated...

I dunno about ex display. Maybe if you can get a warranty on it as insurance it would be worth it.

But the TV itself is superb. I'm not a technical whizz or anything so I dunno if you can get better for the money elsewhere, but I've had no problems with it, it looks amazing, both the picture and the set itself and it's within your budget.

The way I looked at OLED was I could spend £1800 on an OLED set now. Or I could buy a HDR 4k for £800-900, and then wait for OLED to drop down to a similar price and upgrade to an OLED and I'd have still only spent the same amount as I woudl have in the first place if I'd bought an OLED straight off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Personally wouldn't touch an ex display unless it comes with a good warranty as it will most likely have been on for 8-10hrs a day at max brightness and contrast to make it 'pop' in the store.

The only downside with that Sony is it is an 8bit plus FRC panel (Frame Rate Control) so it uses dithering to get close the correct colour and will reproduce 16 million colours, a true 10 bit panel can display over a billion so the HDR experience will be better. Whether you would notice it though is questionable.

• Like 1

It might be worth keeping your eye on the classifieds on AVForum. Some of the guys on there flip their TV's regularly so there are some bargains to be had.

• Like 1

Now weighing up the Panasonic TX58DX700B.  It seems to have good reviews, and my local Richer Sounds are offering it a fair bit cheaper than Stevo's Sony, even though that has a good spec too.

Any experience or knowledge of these tellys?  I've only ever had LG so don't know much about other brands.

Thanks for all the help so far... 

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Now weighing up the Panasonic TX58DX700B.  It seems to have good reviews, and my local Richer Sounds are offering it a fair bit cheaper than Stevo's Sony, even though that has a good spec too.

Any experience or knowledge of these tellys?  I've only ever had LG so don't know much about other brands.

Thanks for all the help so far... 

Panasonic generally make solid good TVs and a few great ones. They rarely make a bad set. I've got a 5 year old Panasonic and it is genuinely one of the best things I've ever bought, and still has an awesome picture.

That particular one was their mid level 4k/HDR entry offering last year I think. It's not the greatest set on paper. AVForums has it as an 8 bit panel, which isn't ideal, and only capable of 350nits, which is the brightness of the panel that HDR needs to shine. Other sets have nits into the thousands. Input lag isn't incredible either, 55ms in Game mode is ok but ideally would be lower. They also noted stuttering in 50hz sources, which is odd, and weak viewing angles.

Saying that it has a good picture apparently with decent blacks.

• Like 2

I can always find a reason to NOT buy a TV.  Once you start getting up into perfect picture territory, the reason is price.

I dunno if I'm better just waiting till I can bump my budget up.  Even then, though, there will be something better that I can't afford.

I'm essentially looking for something for watching movies and football, and box sets.  Mostly from Sky Q, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

18 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm essentially looking for something for watching movies and football, and box sets.  Mostly from Sky Q, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

In that case try and get a true 10bit panel. Both Amazon and Netflix have a decent amount of content in HDR and Dolby Vision although DV is only available on a handful of sets at the minute.

Thanks for all the advice guys.  I decided to take the plunge on the Panasonic , and then look at an OLED in 18-24 months time.  I was able to shrink my budget down to £629 for a TV with good reviews, which keeps in the good books with the wife ahead of buying a proper one in the future.

I'll be perching it on top of a Roth Neo 6.2 Soundcore, just to give the sound a bit of help.  No point going crazy with the home cinema for us as we've got a 2 year old sleeping directly above the living room, so too much bass won't end well.

Worst case scenario they'll look nice together in the corner!

61+a20IchrL._SL1200_.jpg

ROTH%20NEO%206.2%201.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/24/2017 at 17:35, NurembergVillan said:

really want a new telly.

Me too. I don't watch TV a lot, but when I do lately, I find myself really wanting to trade in my 7 year old, 32" Panasonic Viera. It's not a great picture. But a really nice TV purchase right now is pushing it, seeing as the present one works perfectly well. It would be a luxury item for sure.

Edited by maqroll

• 1 month later...

Finally decided to buy a TV... haven't had one in months as my old Samsung 32" died. Just use my Macbook and iPad at present. 

Don't want to spend a fortune but should be ok with a £750 spend. What do I need to look for? 50" is probably the limit in size as anything more would dominate the room. 

LG or Samsung? 

Â