New TV advice

CVByrne

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Whats SUHD? So many different formats its confusing! 

I don't think anyone knows :D

As far as I can tell it's just Samsung's 2016 UHD range. In 2015 they called it UHD, 2016 it's SUHD. 

I think it's just newer, so probably better than the older one but I imagine not particularly noticeable.

The bad thing about that TV is the feet design. You need a massive table for it! The 50 inch would be ok for me but the 55 inch I wouldn't be able to buy purely because it wouldn't fit on my TV unit (which I've just bought so I'm not getting a  new one)

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think anyone knows :D

As far as I can tell it's just Samsung's 2016 UHD range. In 2015 they called it UHD, 2016 it's SUHD. 

I think it's just newer, so probably better than the older one but I imagine not particularly noticeable.

The bad thing about that TV is the feet design. You need a massive table for it! The 50 inch would be ok for me but the 55 inch I wouldn't be able to buy purely because it wouldn't fit on my TV unit (which I've just bought so I'm not getting a  new one)

Yeah probably might just be a sales gimmick

Could you not just stick it on your wall? 

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah probably might just be a sales gimmick

Could you not just stick it on your wall? 

Nah.

I don't really like TVs on walls generally, but regardless I'm renting at the moment and drilling into the wall would not go down well!

As someone who spent the last couple of weeks investigating UHD TVs I will pass on what I have gleamed (correctly or otherwise).

Apparently HDR is not good enough if you want to get the best results. It should be a 10bit panel and also the brightness (nits value) has to be at a certain level to give proper HDR.

Samsungs SUHD tvs and LG super UHD are 2 ranges that should in theory be certified Ultra HD Certified. Not really sure how you differentiate which of the Sony or Panasonic ones are up to that standard. OLED is out unless you have money to throw at it.,

On 25 November 2016 at 22:32, Chindie said:

The Hisense M7000 appears to be getting some love as a 'bang for your buck' option.

Yeah some of the big boys need to take note and deliver this sort of performance vs value. 

Couple of rival models for comparison are Samsungs KS7000 and Panasonics DX750 at around £600 more.

21 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Hi all, can i have some advice on Sony 43" TV's please.  I'm thinking of getting one, but totally unsure of which, as there appears to be 3/4 models? Does anyone know whats best? Thanks

Is there any reason that you are focusing on brand before features? 

Just now, limpid said:

Is there any reason that you are focusing on brand before features? 

Hi mate, not really, it's just that i have the space for a 43" (just), but could look at 40" I suppose. I just can't go bigger than 43". Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Hi mate, not really, it's just that i have the space for a 43" (just), but could look at 40" I suppose. I just can't go bigger than 43". Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

But do you want 4k, HD, how many HDMI ports, do you want android, built in apps, camera, mic, etc.

If the only thing that matters is the size, just buy the cheapest.

Just now, limpid said:

But do you want 4k, HD, how many HDMI ports, do you want android, built in apps, camera, mic, etc.

If the only thing that matters is the size, just buy the cheapest.

Crikey, i just want to watch telly on the best picture i can and not fussed on features.  Kids may differ though. 

On 11/25/2016 at 22:32, Chindie said:

The Hisense M7000 appears to be getting some love as a 'bang for your buck' option.

Had it, returned it.

It's good, but if you're going to spend that amount on a TV you may as well just save a little bit extra and get one from a more reputable brand.

Whilst the picture quality is good on the M7000, it's OS is horrendous and incredibly frustrating.

10 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Hi all, can i have some advice on Sony 43" TV's please.  I'm thinking of getting one, but totally unsure of which, as there appears to be 3/4 models? Does anyone know whats best? Thanks

Always a good place to start is Richer Sounds 

Do you have a budget in mind? 

Â