New TV advice

CVByrne

In the market for a new TV. Wanting to spend in the region of £250 to £350. Not after anything flash. Just something that has Freeview built in, and is HD. Will mostly be using it with an Android box, and my lap top.

Any recomendations?

4 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

In the market for a new TV. Wanting to spend in the region of £250 to £350. Not after anything flash. Just something that has Freeview built in, and is HD. Will mostly be using it with an Android box, and my lap top.

Any recomendations?

Lower end of you're budget, 32' Sony KDL-32W706B 

Top end of your budget, 40" Panasonic TX-40CS520 or if you want curved 32" Samsung UE32J6300 

Most TV manufactures release new models around April so if you can wait a bit longer till around the easter bank holiday weekend will see your money go further.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Morning chaps. 

I'm in the market for a new TV. Toyed with the idea plenty of times before but definitely going to bite the bullet over christmas.

Definitely going for 4K HDR. The decision I'm toying with now is whether to go all out for OLED.

Is it worth it? 
As far as I can tell getting an OLED version of a similar non-OLED TV would cost me at least an extra £1000.

Can anyone sell it to me. The part inside me that wants the very best TV possible really wants to get it. But in reality I'm thinking settling for a 4K HDR non-OLED set for now and then upgrading to OLED when they become mroe affordable is the more sensible option

I recently purchased the Samsung UE55KS8000 and think it's a fantastic TV. I went to a John Lewis shop and looked at the Samsung and then looked at the LG OLED TV's and couldn't see why OLED was £1300 more. I'm sure some people can but I couldn't. Don't regret my purchase at all.

• Like 1

Oled's big benefit is the ability to do better blacks than any format other than plasma. That has the effect of making other colours pop more. They also offer very very good picture quality generally, which is again further helped by the black levels.

They do have problems though. Many sets seem to have an issue with banding on the panel which is one of those things you might never notice or it would piss you off constantly, if you're unlucky and get a banded screen. They also can't get as bright as an LCD which means (good) LCD screens tend to have more 'pop' in HDR - the trade off however of the Oleds blacks arguably make this less necessary, but there are still times where the HDR is weaker on Oled. They also are still quite laggy compared to the best LCD, again something only some gamers may notice. And currently they can't do HDR gaming in game mode which helps reduce some lag. And they are a little more liable to burn in.

Money no object and not being a gamer I'd go Oled just for how good those screens look when set up properly. But it's big big money for minor gains and other downsides that may effect your usage. 

It's quite likely some Oleds will drop in price this week, the B6 seems to be the good bet and is by most accounts pretty damn good.

• Like 2

Cheers guys. Confirms what I thought.

I think I'll definitely avoid

My thinking is an OLED is about £2000

You can get a quality 4K HDR for about £800

So I could spend the £800 now and then if OLEDs come down to similar prices in a few years upgrade to an OLED and STILL have spent less than the £2000 I'd have to spend now to get an OLED today.

My eyes will be peeled in black friday, but I'll probably wait until January

• Like 1

It's worth adding that there's 2 (potentially 3) HDR standards, and only really OLED TVs support the second format ATM, that may actually be the better solution. Most HDR TV's only support HDR10, newer OLEDs support Dolby Vision.

Saying that there's so little HDR content, and so little of that supports DV, it's hard to say it makes much difference.

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Cheers guys. Confirms what I thought.

I think I'll definitely avoid

My thinking is an OLED is about £2000

You can get a quality 4K HDR for about £800

So I could spend the £800 now and then if OLEDs come down to similar prices in a few years upgrade to an OLED and STILL have spent less than the £2000 I'd have to spend now to get an OLED today.

My eyes will be peeled in black friday, but I'll probably wait until January

Thats exactly what I would do stevo :thumb:

30 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's worth adding that there's 2 (potentially 3) HDR standards, and only really OLED TVs support the second format ATM, that may actually be the better solution. Most HDR TV's only support HDR10, newer OLEDs support Dolby Vision.

Saying that there's so little HDR content, and so little of that supports DV, it's hard to say it makes much difference.

I don't know if its me but the whole TV market seems overly complex with different formats. 4K, UHD, HDR (do they mean all the same?) plus various formats of HDR as you have described above

I'll in the market for a new TV - budget probably no more than £750-800. Size - probably 55" as a max.

I'll be upgrading from a HD Ready 32" Samsung LCD so sure I'll see a huge difference whatever I get!

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't know if its me but the whole TV market seems overly complex with different formats. 4K, UHD, HDR (do they mean all the same?) plus various formats of HDR as you have described above

I'll in the market for a new TV - budget probably no more than £750-800. Size - probably 55" as a max.

I'll be upgrading from a HD Ready 32" Samsung LCD so sure I'll see a huge difference whatever I get!

UHD and 4k are basically the same thing. HDR is High Dynamic Range, which refers to colour range and brightness. The common thinking now is that HDR is more impactful than 4k itself, certainly in conditions in most peoples homes. Though the effect is heavily reliant on lightning conditions of the room, if the room is bright you lose the 'range' and impact of HDR.

The 2 formats are harder. HDR10 is the easy quick way of doing it, kinda, DV much more involved and requires extra hardware to do it, but is better. But that also means things have to be encoded and made to make use of it. I think only Netflix (or Amazon) support it right now steaming wise. And I'm sure only LG make sets that support it ATM. And the average person might never notice it.

• Like 1

I bought an OLED, it's bloody fantastic. I think I will have a problem going back to LCD. But, I didn't bother with 4k at the time (would have set me back around £4000) and HDR wasn't an option, I opted for the loss in resolution instead, and the fact that the market isn't ready here for 4k. All stations transmits 720p and I have a projector for Bluray anyway.

I would have problems justifying double money. just for OLED, but I still think it's a better tech. Backlight bleeding from LCDs drives me nuts.

I'd love an OLED. Well set up you see shots of films on Bluray look far better than usual. The black levels can't be outdone by LCD. You get absolutely fantastic image quality.

But I do play games and the cost is mad. A good LCD won't be as good, but it'll be at worst maybe 2/3rds the price, and lag wing be an issue, and the HDR experience on a good set will be slightly better.

But I'd still but an OLED of the money was burning a hole... They're just so nice and good blacks can't be underestimated. And you don't have to worry about bleed.

Planning on replacing my 10 year old Panasonic 42" plasma (still looks lovely) with a Panasonic TX-50DX700B. Seems to be the sweet spot for value for money. £669 everywhere and gets great reviews.

7 hours ago, Xela said:

As I understand it HDR is the thing you should be spending money on.

If you buy a 4K TV make sure it has HDR.

Whereas OLED is a bonus.

Would love the OLED, but just don't think I can justify the money right now.

• Like 1

Im waiting for the live version of HDR to be ratified before i invest in another flagship model. 

Almost got caught with my pants down with HDCP2.2 formats from being an early adopter so don't want that happening again when throwing that kind of money around. 

22 hours ago, villakram said:

HDR: that stupid filter thing arsehole amateur photographers do.

Not really.  It's just an abbreviation for high dynamic range which essentially means more colours. On a phone it's usually the camera taking two photos at different exposure levels (one dark, one bright) and stitching them together. It's good for not getting a washed out sky in outdoor shots.    

On a TV it means the number of colours the panel can display.  Current TV's have an 8 bit colour gamut, 256 shades of red, green and blue which means in total it can display up to 16 million colours.  

The current HDR war is between HDR10  (a 10 bit colour gamut, 1024 shades of red, green and blue meaning it can display over a billion colours in total) and Dolby Vision (a 12 bit colour gamut, 4096 shades of red, green and blue meaning over 68 billion colours) which both are significant upgrades on the current colour standards. There are huge improvements in brightness and contrast too.  Dolby Vision is better but it will probably lose the format war as HDR10 is an open standard and free to use whereas Dolby Vision requires a licencing fee. 

I said it in this forum before but I still think the 4K market is a year or two away from maturation. 

• Like 1

Â