New TV advice

CVByrne

YouTube offers a nascent 4K channel, but you'll require a powerful PC with a 4K capable graphics card, of which there are few that make economic sense. 

Most viewers won't be able to enjoy these videos to their full potential. You'll need both a 4K monitor along with a computer and internet connection powerful enough to stream the footage.

I just upgraded to last year's Macbook Pro Retina, and even with a 30mbps connection, the video is stammering about like it's drunk and can't find its house keys.

Edited by Kingman

My phone has pretty much the same resolution as a macbook pro retina. It's 2k, not 4k.

You only need 25Mbps to stream 4k content. There's something else wrong if you get jitter with the setup you've described.

• 1 month later...

I've gone for a brand I've never heard of, hisense. £199, 40" full HD, will report back on the quality (or lack thereof)!

Had this five months now, no complaints. Fantastic value for money!

I've gone for a brand I've never heard of, hisense. £199, 40" full HD, will report back on the quality (or lack thereof)!

My Samsung 40" was only £240 and it plays almost all files via a flash drive. DVD s are obsolete :D

Sony W705/6B. Without doubt the best bang for buck TV on the market today. I have 2, a 32 inch and a 42 inch.

Agreed, I have the W829 (same but with 3D) and its a stonking set.

There have been some great deals for the 50" version recently too as the new Sony andoid TV's are about to land.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I have a television, it's only used for watching the occasional film or box set.  When this telly breaks though, I'm not getting a new one.  Television is evil and should be banned.

I haven't watched a live broadcast on telly for almost two years.  After about six months of not watching it, your whole outlook on the world changes, and your eyes are opened.

Got myself a OLED tv. Wow, just wow. Never getting an Led/lcd ever again

Nice,  LG-EG960V ???

Nah, thats out of my price-range. I went for the non 4k ones. 55EA980W. They had some good deals on them at roughly £1000

Got myself a OLED tv. Wow, just wow. Never getting an Led/lcd ever again

Nice,  LG-EG960V ???

Nah, thats out of my price-range. I went for the non 4k ones. 55EA980W. They had some good deals on them at roughly £1000

Nice, Some 1080p OLED will trump some 4K LCD.

Edited by Kingman

• 1 month later...
10 Things to Future proof your investment on next TV purchase 
For some it's once a decade and for others it's an annual event but sooner or later you end up buying a new TV.
Until recently that's been a fairly straightforward affair - you decide on your budget and what screen size best suits your room and then read the reviews on AVForums before heading down to your local store to take a look for yourself. After demoing your short list you decide which TV you like the best and part with your hard-earned cash.

However we are currently going through the biggest changes in the TV industry in a generation with not only an increase in resolution but new standards that will take television to the next level. If that wasn't enough the introduction of smart technologies and video streaming are even changing the very way that we watch TV.

At first you might think that the advent of 4K Ultra HD is similar to the introduction of high definition over ten years ago but it goes much further than that because the current changes aren't just about another increase in resolution.

When high definition arrived it increased the resolution noticeably but in most other respects the standards remained the same as they had for decades. The new high definition panels were still using 8-bit video depth and the Rec.709 colour space, whilst the standard dynamic range was based on the limitations of the old CRT (cathode ray tube) technology. The reason for this was that at the time the professional mastering suites were still using CRT monitors and that legacy has remained until now.

The consumer electronics industry has realised that the additional resolution offered by 4K Ultra HD isn't enough to tempt people to upgrade their high definition TVs and as such they are also changing the standards associated with TV.

The result will be a set of new standards that allow filmmakers to realise all the detail that is inherent in the original content and allow modern TVs to take full advantage of their innate technological potential. In fact if you don't need to buy a TV right now, the best option would be to wait until all the standards have been finalised and then take the plunge.

However if you're determined to pick up a new set then this guide will take you through the features that will make sure it's suitably future-proof. 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Theres A New Kid On Way To Town, Hisense 65XT910 ULED

Has all the bells and whistles of Samsungs & LG's £5-6k flagship models + more for under £2k. Could well be a real game changer for said companies!

Now here’s something you don’t see every day: a new brand brave enough to enter the UK TV marketplace.

What’s more, Chinese brand Hisense isn't only focusing on being ridiculously cheap – although having recently announced a £450 4K TV, it’s certainly going to be aggressive on price. Instead, the manufacturer is aiming to combine competitive pricing with premium design.

Nowhere is this apparent desire to offer genuine picture quality alongside aggressive pricing more obvious than on the Hisense 65XT910: the world’s first ULED TV.

According to Hisense, its proprietary ULED – or Ultra LED – technology uses 3M’s latest Quantum Dot Enhancement Film technology to boost colour response; a high brightness panel; home-grown Smart Peaking technology to push more power to bright parts of the picture without compromising dark parts; a native 4K UHD resolution; direct LED lighting where the screen’s lights are placed directly behind the screen; and local dimming able to apply individual light controls for 240 separate zones of the picture.

Hisense 65H10B

It’s even compatible with the new high dynamic range (HDR) content starting to make waves in the AV world.

In principle, ULED sounds quite similar to Samsung’s SUHD technology.

What has become very clear having spent time checking out the 65XT910 at this year’s IFA show, is that Hisense clearly has the potential to succeed where many manufacturers have failed in trying to secure a significant foothold in the UK market.

The screen really does seem to deliver genuine picture quality. In fact, Hisense was feeling so confident about ULED that it set up a head-to-head demo of its ULED TV running against a rival 4K OLED screen – and the results were intriguing to say the least.

Particularly eye-catching was just how much sharper and more detailed the Hisense TV looked with the native 4K demo footage – so much so that it left the 4K OLED screen looking quite soft by comparison.

Hisense 65H10B

Rather more predictably, the Hisense TV also looked considerably brighter than the OLED screen. This is thanks to its high-brightness panel design, which makes it well suited to deliver HDR content – note that the content we viewed wasn't presented in HDR, however.

The brightness of the panel proved very effective at helping the TV inject more verve into vivid colour tones than the OLED technology. In addition, there appeared to be a wider tonal range at the upper end of the ULED colour spectrum.

Hisense’s ULED screen also suffered less with motion blur than the OLED screen, while those punchy colours mentioned earlier were delivered with strikingly more definition and gradation finesse than rival display could manage.

At this point I should probably remind you that I'm comparing the Hisense 65XT910 with an actual OLED TV – OLED being a technology considered by some to be the last word in TV picture quality.

The ULED TV’s strengths add up to an impressive state of play for Hisense’s new TVs. But the head-to-head between OLED and ULED technologies didn't go 100% Hisense’s way.

In particular, the OLED screen delivered much deeper black-level response than the Hisense panel, and its picture looked less noisy too. However, on this latter point it struck us that the rather fuzzy look to the ULED picture could have been a result of Hisense’s engineers setting their TV’s sharpness setting too high to try to underline the relative softness of the OLED.

What I'm yet to mention is that the 65XT910 uses a curved screen, something that may deter some picture enthusiasts. However, so do the OLED and Samsung SUHD TVs Hisense is targeting with its ULED technology. Plus the 65XT910’s screen seemed relatively good at soaking up the sort of ambient light reflections that can cause distortion across curved screens.

I'm always sceptical when a new brand claims that its product will outperform those of top-end competitors – especially when costing thousands of pounds less. As a result, I'm going to reserve judgement about the Hisense 65XT910 until I’ve had the chance to test it in more thoroughly.

But, having cast my eye over some of the other, more mainstream TVs Hisense is preparing to launch in the UK soon, I genuinely believe that the company has the potential to become a credible new player in the UK TV scene. 

http://www.trustedreviews.com/hisense-65h10b-uled-tv-review

My Samsung 40" was only £240 and it plays almost all files via a flash drive. DVD s are obsolete [emoji3]

Welcome to the future [emoji2]

I think the last DVD I ever played was around 10 years ago. I didn't know people still used them!

• 1 month later...

I'm not used to fancy TVs so compared to some other mentioned in this thread it might not be as good. But I've recently been watching a few things on a Panasonic VIERA TX-50CX700B, the picture's incredible.

Edited by useless

Â