New TV advice

CVByrne

12 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Congrats, and highly jealous.  Reviews / pics please.

PS - I presume this now means you donate to food banks and do your recycling? ;)

12 hours ago, Tegis said:

OLED is frankly, THE shit!!

I can certainly agree with @Tegis.

It's... Put it like this. I bought Planet Earth 2 on UHD Blu-ray and put that on last night as pure demo stuff really. The bit with the sloth on the first episode... It was like looking through a window. But clearer and more vivid than a window. It was astonishing. 

I quickly loaded up John Wick 2 after. The opening has a lot of darkness punctuated with vivid lights and neon and reflections. Blown away. Such an incredible picture, just astounding.

The resolution gives you something, but the colour together with the really great black levels is incredible. It is literally like you're looking through a portal into another world. The only thing missing is the depth, but even then the image is so vivid it almost fakes that sometimes.

My only downside so far is I've noticed some artifacting on fast moving small details. A scene with a lemur jumping through tall grass had the image falter when the legs could be seen jumping between the strands of grass, another with a fast pan over water with light glinting off it caused similar minor issues, but I was looking for it. 

Otherwise my only complaint is my AVR isn't HDR compatible so I'm having to run an optical passthrough from the TV for surround, which isn't ideal.

A lot of money but bloody hell is it good. I was blown away last night by it. Genuinely.

Edited by Chindie

36 minutes ago, Chindie said:

My only downside so far is I've noticed some artifacting on fast moving small details. A scene with a lemur jumping through tall grass had the image falter when the legs could be seen jumping between the strands of grass, another with a fast pan over water with light glinting off it caused similar minor issues, but I was looking for it.

Nice to hear you're loving it.  I ended up saving a couple of hundred on the TV I bought (see earlier in the thread) and whilst I'm fairly happy with it, I do wish I'd just sat tight and waited to spend big on what I really wanted.

The part I've quoted, I'm not sure if you've had LG before?  All my previous screens have been LG, and straight out of the box this is standard.  They promote the hell out of all their correcting technology etc, but I find the picture to be far more accurate when it's all turned off - especially anything relating to smooth, MPEG details, etc.

Not sure if you've already tried that, but in my experience it'll make a big difference for you.

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Nice to hear you're loving it.  I ended up saving a couple of hundred on the TV I bought (see earlier in the thread) and whilst I'm fairly happy with it, I do wish I'd just sat tight and waited to spend big on what I really wanted.

The part I've quoted, I'm not sure if you've had LG before?  All my previous screens have been LG, and straight out of the box this is standard.  They promote the hell out of all their correcting technology etc, but I find the picture to be far more accurate when it's all turned off - especially anything relating to smooth, MPEG details, etc.

Not sure if you've already tried that, but in my experience it'll make a big difference for you.

Yeah I've been used to LG TVs before now, I did mean to add I'm pretty sure that that is just a case of me not getting round to tinkering with it yet properly :)

Honestly though... Wow. I didn't expect to be blown away like this by it. Im coming to this from a good Panasonic 1080p set and there's just no comparison. Obviously I've kinda thrown the best I can see it right off the bat so not everything will look that good, even other UHD discs. But crikey. Any concerns about OLED brightness with HDR are nonsense.

The HDR on my set is incredible, but there is definite clouding in the corners.  I think because it's a 58" panel it needs OLED to be able to function properly.

At least because this one was only just over £600 in a sale I can justify getting a better one without waiting years for it!

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

OLED vs QLED... can anyone enlighten me on what I should be buying?

QLED is a marketing gimmick. Ignore the term and think of them as very good LED sets.

All modern TVs operate by backlighting the screen somehow, forcing light through the pixels. Most screens use LEDs to do this, most often from the side. The nature of this means that, if you had a dark scene with a bright light somewhere in it, the LEDs would have to light the whole screen up meaning the dark scenes are brightened and often go blocky and grey, affecting picture quality. A lot of TVs try to get around this by having parts of the backlight turn off, but in the example of an edge lit TV even this means it literally turns off strips of backlight across the screen, which is a fudge, or in the much rarer case of a full array backlight (where the entire back of the screen is lit by a web of LEDs) it turns off segments affected. QLED's are no different to this.

OLED utilises a different technology. In an OLED screen, each pixel can turn itself on and off, meaning each pixel is it's own backlight. This means black can truly be black, which helps contrast and overall picture quality.

There's pros and cons to each. OLED's main criticism has been lower brightness levels than LED, which some argue lessens the impact of HDR, concerns about screen uniformity (small lines and imperfections in the screen that are most noticeable in affected sets if you run a white screen), image retention and some motion handling issues (blocking and artifacting on fast moving patterns, like panning shots). And cost. I own an OLED set and haven't found any of the above to be a problem. Picture quality is astounding.

QLED has all the usual pros and cons of LEDs - exceptional brightness etc, but also black level issues, dark colour gradients not being smooth, some motion handling issues. On the plus side the Quantum Dot tech does apparently boost the colour vibrancy.

I doubt either would disappoint. I went with OLED as I wanted the absolute best picture I could get and comparing against other sets, OLED came on top. It's problems I've not noticed - the screen is more than bright enough and I've been astonished by HDR images on it. I've not seen any uniformity issues (I've not looked in depth and don't care to, the image is great). I've seen some motion issues but no different to any other set I've owned and barely registered to me and despite a fair bit of gaming I've seen no retention, thankfully. 

But many people prefer LED and QLED's are some of that formats best. Go look at a few and compare is the best I can say (preferably somewhere that sets them up correctly life Richer Sounds), check what AVForums has to say about them in the owner topics of the ones you fancy and weigh them up.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

QLED is a marketing gimmick. Ignore the term and think of them as very good LED sets.

All modern TVs operate by backlighting the screen somehow, forcing light through the pixels. Most screens use LEDs to do this, most often from the side. The nature of this means that, if you had a dark scene with a bright light somewhere in it, the LEDs would have to light the whole screen up meaning the dark scenes are brightened and often go blocky and grey, affecting picture quality. A lot of TVs try to get around this by having parts of the backlight turn off, but in the example of an edge lit TV even this means it literally turns off strips of backlight across the screen, which is a fudge, or in the much rarer case of a full array backlight (where the entire back of the screen is lit by a web of LEDs) it turns off segments affected. QLED's are no different to this.

OLED utilises a different technology. In an OLED screen, each pixel can turn itself on and off, meaning each pixel is it's own backlight. This means black can truly be black, which helps contrast and overall picture quality.

There's pros and cons to each. OLED's main criticism has been lower brightness levels than LED, which some argue lessens the impact of HDR, concerns about screen uniformity (small lines and imperfections in the screen that are most noticeable in affected sets if you run a white screen), image retention and some motion handling issues (blocking and artifacting on fast moving patterns, like panning shots). And cost. I own an OLED set and haven't found any of the above to be a problem. Picture quality is astounding.

QLED has all the usual pros and cons of LEDs - exceptional brightness etc, but also black level issues, dark colour gradients not being smooth, some motion handling issues. On the plus side the Quantum Dot tech does apparently boost the colour vibrancy.

I doubt either would disappoint. I went with OLED as I wanted the absolute best picture I could get and comparing against other sets, OLED came on top. It's problems I've not noticed - the screen is more than bright enough and I've been astonished by HDR images on it. I've not seen any uniformity issues (I've not looked in depth and don't care to, the image is great). I've seen some motion issues but no different to any other set I've owned and barely registered to me and despite a fair bit of gaming I've seen no retention, thankfully. 

But many people prefer LED and QLED's are some of that formats best. Go look at a few and compare is the best I can say (preferably somewhere that sets them up correctly life Richer Sounds), check what AVForums has to say about them in the owner topics of the ones you fancy and weigh them up.

Brilliant, thanks very much mate that's really helpful stuff!

My advice on OLED is still the same.

If you've either got a massive budget OR really really want the absolute best technology, then OLED is worth it.

Otherwise, you could probably buy a really good LED TV today, and replace it with an OLED when they come down to a more reasonable price in a couple of years, and you'd still have paid less than if you bought an OLED today.

• 5 weeks later...

I've now made a decision on the TV i'm going for LG OLED55B7V... just currently waiting on the price to drop over Easter when the new range of LG's come out.

Does anyone know of a better TV available, from my research the OLED55B7V or OLED55C7V seem to be the top of the range OLEDs for the price

Mentioning the C7...

I watched the derby at the weekend via NowTV and noticed my first really bad stuff with it. It was having an absolute nightmare with the ball. It was obviously the processing software struggling with the fast pace, but you would literally have the ball flicker out of existence every few seconds. It was particularly bad when going past the crowd or when the ball was being tussled for. Players legs gave it trouble as well.

All flat screens are bad at this, besides plasma, but this is probably the worst I've seen. I'll need to have a tinker with the motion processing settings again as this was the first time I'd used the PS4 for watching the football and hadn't set up the motion settings in any depth for that input (besides being good enough for gaming), and with football they usually make things worse... Also doesn't help that that isn't the best source going but still... 

Thankfully don't watch that much football these days!

On 16/02/2018 at 16:24, Chindie said:

Mentioning the C7...

I watched the derby at the weekend via NowTV and noticed my first really bad stuff with it. It was having an absolute nightmare with the ball. It was obviously the processing software struggling with the fast pace, but you would literally have the ball flicker out of existence every few seconds. It was particularly bad when going past the crowd or when the ball was being tussled for. Players legs gave it trouble as well.

All flat screens are bad at this, besides plasma, but this is probably the worst I've seen. I'll need to have a tinker with the motion processing settings again as this was the first time I'd used the PS4 for watching the football and hadn't set up the motion settings in any depth for that input (besides being good enough for gaming), and with football they usually make things worse... Also doesn't help that that isn't the best source going but still... 

Thankfully don't watch that much football these days!

That doesn’t sound right to me. I’ve had no issues like that with my C6.

I find it looks better with all the motion gibbons set to off and pretty much out the box settings for everything else with isf dark or bright depending on conditions. 

• 5 months later...

Need to get a TV for the mother. Looking for something 4k, decentish but not expensive. I am thinking under £450. Anything bigger than 42 inch would be great. Anyone seen any deals? Doesn't have to be anything special. 

• 9 months later...

I'm looking to get a new TV and want to go for a 65'' and don't wan't to pay anymore than £800

I am not into gaming. Its a TV for watching sport, the odd movie, general TV stuff and perhaps a few things from youtube.

I've been looking around and becoming bewildered by all of the techie data/stats etc. After all, surely this day and age they are all much of a muchness.

Got my eye on these....

• Philips 65PUS670365 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play - £679
  • LG 65UK6750PLD LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65" with Freeview Play/Freesat HD & Ultra HD Certified - £749
  • Samsung UE65NU710065 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV TVPlus - £699

All with a 6 year guarantee 

Any fellow VT'rs got these tv's? What they like?

Any real difference between them?

Any others out there perhaps better?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

We decided to change our 2015 Sony Bravia recently.   We've been looking for around for ages and went down the OLED route.  My lord is the picture on these panels impressive!  We went for an LG CX, great that it has both Dolby Atmos and Vision built in,  and the difference when playing on the PS4 is night and day.   It's hooked up to an LG Atmos soundboard too. Got loads of demo files to show it off properly once the family come round, and now Netflix outputs in Atmos too that's a bonus. 

Â