• limpid

Just visiting?   27/12/16

Please click "Sign Up" and login to use the full functionality of the site.
CVByrne

New TV advice

263 posts in this topic

Posted

21 minutes ago, Chindie said:

How's the C6? I've been eyeing one as the 'value' option for getting onboard with OLED.  Have some concerns about the OLED with HDR given the lack of peak brightness even with the great black performance, the motion handling and frankly the cost over similar sets. But they do have that 'shiny' factor which counts for a lot...

It's a great TV not perfect but what TV is?

I don't have any issues with the brightness and the really bright highlights in HDR content is more than enough for me. Any brighter and it would start to hurt my eyes. This is an opinion shared across the owners over on AVF. 

I don't have any issues with motion either, however I'm not that susceptible to it. Football and film content is as good as my previous Sony Bravia and that was one of the best in its class for motion handling. Gaming is also great although I wouldn't class myself as a hardcore gamer so I haven't noticed the slight increase in input lag over the Sony. I have read about issues some people have had with juddering on 24p content but I have yet to try any and this can be reduced using the dejudder/de blur settings.

The 3D on the C6 is off the charts! I was never a massive fan, but now will watch any film that has a 3D version. My jaw fell to the flaw when I watched Avatar and the Hobbit Trilogy recently.

The biggest downside for me is the HD content on sky can look a little soft on the lower bit rate channels. The main channels like Atlantic, Sky one, sports and the terrestrial channels all look great though. 

The other possible downside is the curve. I was really worried about it as I'm not a fan but I can honestly say I don't even notice it. It neither improves or detracts from the image. 

I can highly recommend it, and in my opinion it's the best bang for buck TV you can get right now. Currently a shade over £1400 from Currys with code. Oh and nearly forgot, the smart functionality is the best I have ever used and enabled me to bin off my Fire TV  box. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks. Pretty much as I thought. 

Convinced I'll end up with one.

Posted

On 21 June 2017 at 19:51, V01 said:

Is it "safe" to buy a 4k tv yet?

safe as in have they settled on a hdr standard yet?

The Live version of HDR is still awaiting ratification so i would expect to see another version like "HDR-Live"

Current VP9 Codecs that play things like netflix or amazon will also need upgrading as they can only handle UHD content. 

Not sure if its achievable via software updates.