New TV advice

CVByrne

• 1 month later...
On 05/02/2017 at 23:25, Stevo985 said:

Still loving it, but one thing that's annoying me.

If I plug a hard drive in, the video player app doesn't show any folder structure. So it just shows you every video that's on the hard drive. And not in a particularly user friendly way.

So for example, if I had a folder called Game of Thrones, and then a folder called Season 1, and then a video called episode 1, it would just display the video as "Episode 1". Along with ever other video I have named as episode 1.

Kind of annoying.

Anyone know of any sony TV apps or Android TV apps that are a bit more user friendly in that way?

Stevo how are you finding the set? I am looking at the KD55XD7005BU which is only an 8bit+2 panel and claims to have HDR for what its worth, I am waiting for support to confirm if the set will d 5.1 passthrough on the optical out as my current set is linked to the Sonos Playbar which only has an optical input. Its that or an LG 10bit panel which is Dolby Vision HDR compatible for around the same price. I have read loads of reviews and to be honest Im not even sure how much HDR will make a difference now at least until Sky adopt it for their platform.

48 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Stevo how are you finding the set? I am looking at the KD55XD7005BU which is only an 8bit+2 panel and claims to have HDR for what its worth, I am waiting for support to confirm if the set will d 5.1 passthrough on the optical out as my current set is linked to the Sonos Playbar which only has an optical input. Its that or an LG 10bit panel which is Dolby Vision HDR compatible for around the same price. I have read loads of reviews and to be honest Im not even sure how much HDR will make a difference now at least until Sky adopt it for their platform.

I love it. It's a beautiful TV.

I can't answer your technical questions, but the research I did before getting mine suggested that HDR is what you SHOULD be getting on your TV. As in that's what makes the difference as opposed to a lot of the other jargon banded around.

Incidentally, I got round my problem of the TV not displaying files in a user friendly manner. There's a VLC app for the TV which I downloaded and that displays the folders as you'd see on a PC and also seems to play any format I throw at it. Perfect.

That is one of the plus points of android - there should be an app that can do what you need.

HDR is like HD lots of sets claim to be HDR compatible, it just means it will be able to show stuff thats HDR - no guarantee you will see the full benefits.

Thanks Stevo doesnt really help in my decision making though.

I just got myself a 55" 4k hdr LG for £650 and have to say I'm incredibly impressed.

The upscaling in particular is brilliant, I've only got standard terrestrial atm whilst I wait for internet, but the comparison from SD on my old 47" hd TV is unbelievable. The picture is fairly crisp even with the SD inputs on a bigger screen compared to noticeable blur on my old set. 

Whilst I'm still not sold on there being enough 4k content the prices are very reasonable now.

Saw a samsung quantum dot hdr1000 suhd? Whilst I was looking as well and the colour definition was unbelievable even next to a hdr TV, twice the price for a smaller TV though.

16 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Full HDR is better PQ than UHD, If it's full HDR you want then you need a 10bit panel. 

The Live version of HDR Standards have still not been ratified i.e. Sky sports, 

Im waiting myself for live standards to be ratified before parting with hard earned cash, Being an early adopter of UHD in 2014 I just about scraped in with final ratifications of that with just 1no HDCP2.2 ports so will wait till announcement.

Edited by Kingman

On 6 February 2017 at 01:25, Stevo985 said:

Still loving it, but one thing that's annoying me.

If I plug a hard drive in, the video player app doesn't show any folder structure. So it just shows you every video that's on the hard drive. And not in a particularly user friendly way.

So for example, if I had a folder called Game of Thrones, and then a folder called Season 1, and then a video called episode 1, it would just display the video as "Episode 1". Along with ever other video I have named as episode 1.

Kind of annoying.

Anyone know of any sony TV apps or Android TV apps that are a bit more user friendly in that way?

Did you sort this out in the end? This would really annoy me too! I display all my files same as you. I'm gonna be looking at a tv soon and am debating between Samsung and sony. HAve owned about 3 samsung vs and this problem has never arisen before, it comes out exactly like the hard drive. 

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Did you sort this out in the end? This would really annoy me too! I display all my files same as you. I'm gonna be looking at a tv soon and am debating between Samsung and sony. HAve owned about 3 samsung vs and this problem has never arisen before, it comes out exactly like the hard drive. 

Yep see below

On 3/20/2017 at 15:51, Stevo985 said:

Incidentally, I got round my problem of the TV not displaying files in a user friendly manner. There's a VLC app for the TV which I downloaded and that displays the folders as you'd see on a PC and also seems to play any format I throw at it. Perfect.

If you have an android TV then that will be a solution. Otherwise I guess it's luck if your TV displays like that or not. I have a small 2 year old LG in my bedroom and it displays them fine.

The temporary solution I'd found before finding VLC was just to move a few files onto a flash drive and plug that in instead. A bit less convenient though.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep see below

If you have an android TV then that will be a solution. Otherwise I guess it's luck if your TV displays like that or not. I have a small 2 year old LG in my bedroom and it displays them fine.

The temporary solution I'd found before finding VLC was just to move a few files onto a flash drive and plug that in instead. A bit less convenient though.

Ah that's good. What a annoyance. I use to have a LG tv that I borrowed off my brother and it displayed the same issued as your Sony one but in addition it only showed half the hardrive files which was really annoying. That's handy to know thanks

On 22 November 2015 at 11:29, Kingman said:

Theres A New Kid On Way To Town, Hisense 65XT910 ULED

Has all the bells and whistles of Samsungs & LG's £5-6k flagship models + more for under £2k. Could well be a real game changer for said companies!

Now here’s something you don’t see every day: a new brand brave enough to enter the UK TV marketplace.

What’s more, Chinese brand Hisense isn't only focusing on being ridiculously cheap – although having recently announced a £450 4K TV, it’s certainly going to be aggressive on price. Instead, the manufacturer is aiming to combine competitive pricing with premium design.

Nowhere is this apparent desire to offer genuine picture quality alongside aggressive pricing more obvious than on the Hisense 65XT910: the world’s first ULED TV.

According to Hisense, its proprietary ULED – or Ultra LED – technology uses 3M’s latest Quantum Dot Enhancement Film technology to boost colour response; a high brightness panel; home-grown Smart Peaking technology to push more power to bright parts of the picture without compromising dark parts; a native 4K UHD resolution; direct LED lighting where the screen’s lights are placed directly behind the screen; and local dimming able to apply individual light controls for 240 separate zones of the picture.

Hisense 65H10B

It’s even compatible with the new high dynamic range (HDR) content starting to make waves in the AV world.

In principle, ULED sounds quite similar to Samsung’s SUHD technology.

What has become very clear having spent time checking out the 65XT910 at this year’s IFA show, is that Hisense clearly has the potential to succeed where many manufacturers have failed in trying to secure a significant foothold in the UK market.

The screen really does seem to deliver genuine picture quality. In fact, Hisense was feeling so confident about ULED that it set up a head-to-head demo of its ULED TV running against a rival 4K OLED screen – and the results were intriguing to say the least.

Particularly eye-catching was just how much sharper and more detailed the Hisense TV looked with the native 4K demo footage – so much so that it left the 4K OLED screen looking quite soft by comparison.

Hisense 65H10B

Rather more predictably, the Hisense TV also looked considerably brighter than the OLED screen. This is thanks to its high-brightness panel design, which makes it well suited to deliver HDR content – note that the content we viewed wasn't presented in HDR, however.

The brightness of the panel proved very effective at helping the TV inject more verve into vivid colour tones than the OLED technology. In addition, there appeared to be a wider tonal range at the upper end of the ULED colour spectrum.

Hisense’s ULED screen also suffered less with motion blur than the OLED screen, while those punchy colours mentioned earlier were delivered with strikingly more definition and gradation finesse than rival display could manage.

At this point I should probably remind you that I'm comparing the Hisense 65XT910 with an actual OLED TV – OLED being a technology considered by some to be the last word in TV picture quality.

The ULED TV’s strengths add up to an impressive state of play for Hisense’s new TVs. But the head-to-head between OLED and ULED technologies didn't go 100% Hisense’s way.

In particular, the OLED screen delivered much deeper black-level response than the Hisense panel, and its picture looked less noisy too. However, on this latter point it struck us that the rather fuzzy look to the ULED picture could have been a result of Hisense’s engineers setting their TV’s sharpness setting too high to try to underline the relative softness of the OLED.

What I'm yet to mention is that the 65XT910 uses a curved screen, something that may deter some picture enthusiasts. However, so do the OLED and Samsung SUHD TVs Hisense is targeting with its ULED technology. Plus the 65XT910’s screen seemed relatively good at soaking up the sort of ambient light reflections that can cause distortion across curved screens.

I'm always sceptical when a new brand claims that its product will outperform those of top-end competitors – especially when costing thousands of pounds less. As a result, I'm going to reserve judgement about the Hisense 65XT910 until I’ve had the chance to test it in more thoroughly.

But, having cast my eye over some of the other, more mainstream TVs Hisense is preparing to launch in the UK soon, I genuinely believe that the company has the potential to become a credible new player in the UK TV scene. 

http://www.trustedreviews.com/hisense-65h10b-uled-tv-review

So is ULED considered overall better than OLED for picture quality?

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So is ULED considered overall better than OLED for picture quality?

Probably not on PQ but when you have got pay 2-3 times the price it may well be on value. 

Samsungs New QLED (out next month) has mixed reviews and will set you back £5k for top end 65".

• 4 weeks later...

Just completely blown my budget and ordered an OLED LG 55C6. Delivered on Sunday, can't wait!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, V01 said:

Is it "safe" to buy a 4k tv yet?

safe as in have they settled on a hdr standard yet?

No but if the TV supports HDR10, Dolby Vision and has HLG  you should be good for a few years.

How do you check? the TV's I've looked at just say HDR or HDR Pro. 

I've been tempted by the LG uh650v and Panasonic dx700 but there seems to be a lack of clarity on what standards they cover.

1 hour ago, V01 said:

How do you check? the TV's I've looked at just say HDR or HDR Pro. 

I've been tempted by the LG uh650v and Panasonic dx700 but there seems to be a lack of clarity on what standards they cover.

You are looking for the HDR10 certified and Dolby vision logo's

The LG and Panasonic are both 8bit panels so not HDR 10 certified. The HDR PRO on the LG is a simulated HDR effect on standard content. They will display HDR it just won't be anywhere near as impressive as a HDR10 TV. You would need to look at the LG850V for HDR10 and Dolby vision. Not many TV's have HLG yet other than the 2017 OLED's

What is your budget? The 2016 Samsung KS7/8000 range do good HDR  but no Dolby Vision.

I recently bought the LG55C6 for a shade under £1500 and it has both HDR10 and Dolby Vision with an HLG update promised for later in the year.

Edited by jim

To be honest I don't particularly need a new TV I just need to get a hdmi switch, I've been looking to see if anything in the £500-600 bracket is worth jumping in early for.

You're not going to get something in that bracket that covers all the HDR bases, or one that performs particularly well at HDR10.

Next to nothing has HLG, even at far bigger money. Dolby Vision is only just appearing more commonly but there's very little that actually uses it. HDR10 is the most ubiquitous but there's a big variation between different sets to actually make the best of it.

The value buy was the K7000 for bang for buck performance, including decent gaming performance, but that is now out of stock everywhere, and I think was still a bit more than that budget.

22 minutes ago, jim said:

You are looking for the HDR10 certified and Dolby vision logo's

The LG and Panasonic are both 8bit panels so not HDR 10 certified. The HDR PRO on the LG is a simulated HDR effect on standard content. They will display HDR it just won't be anywhere near as impressive as a HDR10 TV. You would need to look at the LG850V for HDR10 and Dolby vision. Not many TV's have HLG yet other than the 2017 OLED's

What is your budget? The 2016 Samsung KS7/8000 range do good HDR  but no Dolby Vision.

I recently bought the LG55C6 for a shade under £1500 and it has both HDR10 and Dolby Vision with an HLG update promised for later in the year.

How's the C6? I've been eyeing one as the 'value' option for getting onboard with OLED.  Have some concerns about the OLED with HDR given the lack of peak brightness even with the great black performance, the motion handling and frankly the cost over similar sets. But they do have that 'shiny' factor which counts for a lot...

Â