New TV advice

CVByrne

Ok need a new tv and have 300 to 400 to spend on one.

Need a decent quality one, dunno if it needs to be 1080p but we'd like a decent size for watching films etc.. So like 40 inch or above

Anyone any advice? My last tv purchase was a CRT back on 2005. Hah

I'm surprised Conor, I thought you would be well up on TV tech and have the latest and greatest.

TBH at that price point you won't get anything ground breaking but this is worth a look

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40eh5000/sams-ue40eh5000

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tvs/

Always a good point of reference. Though you have to be careful there because there is always the chance that people will convince you that every TV is shit and you shouldnt buy anything. Ever.

This would be my first port of call too.

If you dont need one this side of Xmas I would hold off as there is the distinct chance that there will be some bargains to be had in the sales.

I'm getting the TV in my apartment replaced. My company own the place so it's being expensed. So it'll bethis side of Christmas. Like next 10 days I'll need to pick one up.

I'll make a shortlist and see what that forum think.

Cheers guys.

Go for 1080p, LED backlit and minimum 100Hz. Everything else is old hat. And have a look at this site: www.directtvs.co.uk - I bought one of these:

l_12741366.jpg

...in January for £420-odd, when everyone else was selling them at £700. Currys are still selling this one for £449. It's shit hot, and it comes alive when you plug your XBox into it.

The rumours surrounding an Apple TV of some sort have started to pick up a little, ala the rumours of a iPad mini. They're going to do it eventually, whether it's any time soon is another story.

Anywho... If you do go for an LED TV (and they have their plus points - they tend to have slightly better picture quality than your basic LCD, and they're nicely slim) bear in mind a couple of things. First and most importantly, the speakers will be shite. They tend to be bad on any flat panel (good audio is rare) but LEDs are universally awful, they simply haven't got the space for a decent set in such a thin frame. And secondly, they often suffer from backlight bleed, which if you notice it can be annoying. In your price range you'll be looking at edge lit sets, which can be particularly bad for bleed. If you don't notice it, though, you won't care.

The LED TV thing annoys the **** out of me. It's the worst thing about advertising again because they are selling an illusion. LED TV's are the same as LCD TV's, it's just that they are back lit with LED's rather than with florescent tubes. It's certainly not an LED screen in the same way that the one on my phone is, but advertisers seem very happy for people to believe that. Bastards.

Anywho... If you do go for an LED TV (and they have their plus points - they tend to have slightly better picture quality than your basic LCD, and they're nicely slim) bear in mind a couple of things. First and most importantly, the speakers will be shite. They tend to be bad on any flat panel (good audio is rare) but LEDs are universally awful, they simply haven't got the space for a decent set in such a thin frame.

This, to infinity and beyond. You can pick up a reasonable speaker set without needing surround sound for £30-40. I'd recommend Logitech as a starter set of speakers (2 + sub) which will not set you back much at all. I am still using part of the surround sound (got rid of three of the satellites as I don't want them all round the room, and the room is too big) I acquired in 2003 for about £35 and the sound is very good...

Cheers guys. I didn't think I'd get such a helpful response.

I think as I've a huge living room up there I'd need a 46inch tv. I don't mind spending upwards towards 450ish. I like having a quality screen and USB port is very handy for hooking up a hard drive of movies etc..

How important is refresh rate? Will 50mhz be enough for a 46 inch 1080p LED tv?

720p? I would go for the 1080p every time.

On a 42 inch panel, I'd actually skip the resolution if the alternative is a better display.

When we are talking projectors and passing the 70 inch mark then yes, definitely 1080

Â