New TV advice

CVByrne

I shelled out for one of these, an LG 47LM670T yesterday at Richer Sound. Just waiting for it to be delivered now. I found it £100 cheaper online too, so they'll be getting a visit to refund the difference!

I've been looking at that. Did you get it with the free bluray player as well? I noticed on their site they have it both with and without a free bluray player, both for the same price.

Long story so settle in!

I bought it and got the free player, but that wasn't in stock so is being sent to me. In the meantime I found the same tv cheap at https://www.electricalexperience.co.uk/ including the 5 year warranty.

It was £110 cheaper and the guy at Richer said they could either refund £40 and I could keep the blu-ray or I could return the BR when it arrives and get the full whack back. I bought a home cinema from them a few months ago which apparently plays 3D BRs so I've no need for the player. When it gets sent to my house I'll take it back into town for the rest of my refund.

Electrical Experience are out of stock so he could have pied me off, but he said they're a reputable retailer so would likely get stock back in and honoured the price promise.

As such I've paid £886 for the TV and 5 year warranty but no BR player. Richer's prise promise is that they'll undercut a best price by £10 so it's a winner!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to buy the following tv

http://www.richersou...20t/lg-42lm620t

Anyone know how good it is? Seems like a good price at £499

I just bought one on these the other day from Currys.

I like it, it is in my bedroom and looks amazing. Great smart TV too, you tube works a treat even facebook if you're super bored.

The 3D takes a little getting use to (I do have bad eyes and really need subscribed 3D glasses (same ones you use in the cinema, so cheap)). Loads of features, I think it's amazing for its price and well worth it.

But please note: I am not technically great when it comes to TV's, I just tend to use the basic/fun features.

Got great reviews everywhere, mind!

• 2 weeks later...

My tv came yesterday. Managed to get John Lewis to price match the Richer Sounds deal and obvs got the 5 year guarantee thrown in. Really is a cracking tv. For an LED TV the blacks are great. Hooked up the PS3 and tested out a few games. It was brilliant. Plenty of features too. I havent tested out the 3d yet but will let you know my findings. Think I am going to go on the official thread on avforums.com and see if I can find out the perfect settings for my PS3 and 3D movies.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a 42 inch Toshiba at the moment and love it. Thinking of upgrading though and I'm on the lookout for a 60 inch LED at a good price. I think 60 would be the perfect size for me and I really don't think I would ever need any bigger. Now the difficult thing is to find one at a good price. I'm very fussy too as I watch a lot of films and like a crisp and sharp image, plus I've got a thing for a small bezel surrounding the screen (in an ideal world there would be no bezel). I might just hold on for a couple of years actually as my TV is still very good and I think it might be worth the wait to get a 60 inch 4k resolution (Ultra HD) TV.

Any thoughts on current 60 inch TV's that might be worth a look? Or would you just wait?

I think you'll struggle to get an LED TV at 60" that is going to give you that level of picture quality unless you're sitting about half a mile away from it or have a million quid to drop on a telly.

Plasma might be a better shout but it's a dying technology and your leccy bills will go mental on a tv that size.

• 4 weeks later...

4k Tvs will be a useless extravagance for a very long time to come - they only really have a benefit on very large screen sizes and theres next to no content around, and even with Sony keen to start rectifying it theres not going to be a seachange to 4k inside the next 2/3/4 years, and probably longer.

You can effectively forget about 4k if you're in the market for a telly this year - it's going to be such a niche product for so long you couldn't really argue your purchase this summer was outdated with a straight face.

• Like 1

I think you'll struggle to get an LED TV at 60" that is going to give you that level of picture quality unless you're sitting about half a mile away from it or have a million quid to drop on a telly.

Plasma might be a better shout but it's a dying technology and your leccy bills will go mental on a tv that size.

Using the TV on average 5 hours a day, it will cost £30 / year more to power the plasma than an equivalent LED. Going by how much more expensive LEDs are than plasma, it'll take a long time for an LED TV to cost less over all.

Anyone got any recommendations for a smallish tv (I'm thinking 26 inch ish), relatively cheap, preferably with a built in DVD and freeview?

It's for my room. Already got a proper TV in the lounge but I've got a new lodger moving in and thinking an extra TV might be a good idea so looking to get one for my room, but nothign top of the range or anything. Just enough to watch DVDs and freeview on, or possibly hook up the PS3 to it.

Found this one at Argos which seems pretty good value to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it from Curry's internet just around Christmas time, but it looks like they don't do them any more - maybe the offer was because they were getting rid of them all?

I got round about 250-300 quid off and some free glasses for the 3D (though I haven't got any 3D films or anything to watch with them.

It came almost the next day, as well.

Looking for a 42" or 47" LED TV (not bothered about 3D) but really struggling to find one that doesn't have more than 200hz refresh rate. Watched parts of the Avengers on the LG47LM670T I think and everything move too quickly. It was like watching the 48fps Hobbit all over again. Decided not to go for that one, unless anyone knows if the settings can be changed as this one was 400hz. Looking at the Panasonic TXL42E6B, which has had pretty decent reviews. 

http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-tx-l42e6b_TV_review

It was easier naming my kids than picking a TV.

Â