Homosexuality In Football

GarethRDR

Don't expect to see openly gay footballers in anywhere anytime soon. I occasionally read and write to the finnish football forum and almost daily basis I can see messages where someone writes "HomoMessi" or "Faggot-Webb" which makes me to cringe so much. The average age of those posters is probably 10-18 though but still shows how average football fans behave and think.

For me I don't care what a footballer does off the pitch as long as he shows up and players well on the pitch. It's their lives so let them enjoy it. Who are we to say what is right and wrong. If Villa had a gay player I honestly would not care.

thats my thoughts too

why does football need a gay hero? why do people feel the need to know / care about the sexuality of players?

thats my thoughts too

why does football need a gay hero? why do people feel the need to know / care about the sexuality of players?

Well, I for one want to know if I have a shot with Guzan.

Well a gay "hero" would be great for breaking the barriers. Symbolism is undervalued in that sense, but once one comes out others will follow. Simply ban the words removed who abuse them and if that means a whole **** stand or section then so be it. Bigots have no place in football and id much rather ban 10000 fans than try and hide behind some shitty excuse. If you chant homophobic stuff then **** you and goodbye.

• Like 1

I am sure a few on here like me know that we have a gay footballer playing for us. I am not going to name him on a public forum before anyone asks.

All I can think of when reading "we have a gay footballer" is the question allegedly asked by a journalist of Doug Williams: "How long have you been a black quarterback?"...

Well a gay "hero" would be great for breaking the barriers. Symbolism is undervalued in that sense, but once one comes out others will follow. Simply ban the words removed who abuse them and if that means a whole **** stand or section then so be it. Bigots have no place in football and id much rather ban 10000 fans than try and hide behind some shitty excuse. If you chant homophobic stuff then **** you and goodbye.

In the list of things which are easier said than done, this would be pretty near the top. It **** sucks, but we have to wait for somebody with iron thick skin to come out and be awesome at football.

I think it would be great if all the gay footballers came out publically all at once. It would reduce the 'hero' element and make it more normal.

We all know how tribalistic football fans are, they'd be less likely to abuse an opposition gay player if they had one in their own team.

I fully agree with Stevo, it'll take one or a group of individuals to come out and be horrendously abused before anything will improve. Like with many sensitive issues,I think people shout homophobic abuse as just another stick to beat someone with, not necessarily because they mean what they are saying. Which is why deep down I think this is an issue we can tackle, it'll leave the minority to deal with, who 'll just get banned, as the racists should be.

I think it would be great if all the gay footballers came out publically all at once. It would reduce the 'hero' element and make it more normal.

We all know how tribalistic football fans are, they'd be less likely to abuse an opposition gay player if they had one in their own team.

What about if every team had to have a gay player? Positive discrimination kind of thing. You'd have straight men pretending to be gay just so they could play for their favourite team. Maybe time for another poll...

• Like 2

Â