West Ham fans chant 'Hitler's coming for you' at Tottenham crowd

AVFCforever1991

Peter Herbert, the chairman of the Society of Black Lawyers, wrote in The Observer on Sunday:

'The link between the appalling incidents in Rome and the "Y" word chanting is obvious. The chanting of the word simply legitimises anti-Semitic abuse by other fans.

He really seems like a word removed

He may have a point to be fair - I'm not sure I really buy the "reclaiming the word" arguement that the "N" word usually gets. Surely all you do in that situation is isolate yourselves further and make the word acceptable?

I saw a documentary a while ago where a number of high profile jews were interviewed about the use of the word "Yid" by Tottenham fans. None of them were very impressed, the general consensus was that very few Spurs fans are actually Jews and it is they who are offending the Jews as much as anyone.

Come to think of it, I think it may have actually been a film released by THFC, it starred people such as David Baddiel.

He has a point to be fair. Spurs fans, many of which aren't Jewish, are free to chant Yid army all they want. OK it doesn't give away fans carte blanche to say what they want but (some) away fans, being what they are (hardcore and tribal), are bound to jump on it and see it as an opportunity to chant anti-Semitic things.

Â