Tactics/Plays

Tayls

Not sure where to post as the Paul Lambert thread is closed but there was a bit of talk about Villa on yesterday's Guardian Football Weekly podcast.

Philip Auclair was singing Lambert's praises about how well Villa were set up on Saturday night, and likened us to Borussia Dortmund's current team. I'm not sure whether this is just a lazy comment by him based on Lambert's past as I haven't really seen Dortmund play lately, but he said we are adopting the same tactic of picking out crucial players and hounding them in numbers so they simply can't create anything. He reckoned Lambert had done exceptionally well on Saturday night.

I think they all agreed that of the bottom teams there was plenty of life left in ourselves and Southampton.

Auclair isn't the kind of person to make lazy assumptions, even though he can be a bit of a cock

We are the English version of Dortmund about as much as Salifou was the Togolese version of Zidane.

Then again Lambert and most of the players have only been here for a couple of months, if he can get us to even remotely resemble Dortmund i'd be over the moon

You've missed the point a bit there

Yes and no.

I watch the Bundesliga quite a lot and we do not really play very similar to Dortmund at all. Putting pressure on opponents is hardly something unike to Dortmund so i think there are better examples to compare us to than them.

Going by the stats I'm looking at Gabby was actually pretty terrible v Arsenal. Attempted 3 crosses and 0 came off. (though that could be down to positioning of the receiving player/s?) Attempted 20 passes all game, 15 came off. Attempted 6 take-ons, 0 came off.

I think they definitely are positions we need to add quality too, especially if we are going to stick to the formation

Yet my eyes told a different story. What does that tell you about footballs relationship with statistics? For me it's that it's an unreliable one at best.

Â