West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

From one of their fans:

It's so weird seeing Leeds and WBA (and presumably Blues) fans painting Dean as some kind of bad guy. He's the nicest guy in the league from what I can see. All the people who work with him say the same. What in the world has he done that makes him a disgrace to the surname Smith?

His crime is being a Villa fan. That's literally it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

From one of their fans:

It's so weird seeing Leeds and WBA (and presumably Blues) fans painting Dean as some kind of bad guy. He's the nicest guy in the league from what I can see. All the people who work with him say the same. What in the world has he done that makes him a disgrace to the surname Smith?

Just another bitter Boggie.

Not quite "small heath" bitter, but getting there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

From one of their fans:

Seems they're going on about us spending 200m. Pretty sure Pulis spent a shed load there, likes of Rondon and Rodriguez were in 15m range.

Everyone spends serious money in premier league nowadays. Sheffield United sign a young unproven striker for 25m and barely raises an eyebrow so to me that sort of debate is less relevant than a decade ago.

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Seems they're going on about us spending 200m. Pretty sure Pulis spent a shed load there, likes of Rondon and Rodriguez were in 15m range.

Everyone spends serious money in premier league nowadays. Sheffield United sign a young unproven striker for 25m and barely raises an eyebrow so to me that sort of debate is less relevant than a decade ago.

It’s clear there’s an element of jealousy around the money we can pay that they can’t.

a certain generation of baggies fans can’t remember the days they were scratching around in league one (or division 2 as it was). They are punching above their weight and most sensible baggies fans recognise that.

23 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s clear there’s an element of jealousy around the money we can pay that they can’t.

a certain generation of baggies fans can’t remember the days they were scratching around in league one (or division 2 as it was). They are punching above their weight and most sensible baggies fans recognise that.

They really don’t, I live in the back country, I know lots of Albion fans. All to a man, hate Villa and think they should be higher than us. This is across multiple generations 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

They really don’t, I live in the back country, I know lots of Albion fans. All to a man, hate Villa and think they should be higher than us. This is across multiple generations 

I'm also in the Black Country. Most of the people I know don't think they should be higher than us. I think they recognise the commercial and financial power of Villa is greater than that of Baggies.

At the moment they're mainly fuming that they haven't had the investment required to survive this year. A good mate of mine said when we signed Watkins he was a player that they should have been after but were competing on an entirely different financial level to us so they had no chance.

They're really going to struggle this year and I think some of the inquests have already started. They really don't like the owner, really don't like Johnstone and they've also started to turn on Bilic because his "tactics aren't right". 

• Like 1

i think you're both right, also growing up in the black country and having a baggies family, there is a noticeable generational difference in the rivalry, my 60 year old dad who is a casual non game attending baggies fan is at a complete different end of the spectrum to my 24 years season ticket holding cousin with then various family members being somewhere in between, my older cousins in their 40s are all anti wolves with then villa stuff just thrown in as banter but you can have a decent conversation with them about us, a huge number of the younger supporters really bought in to this pride of the midlands stuff and reveled in us being on our way down, from my experience you simply cannot hold any kind of sensible conversation with them, they're deluded

i think they've got a touch of apathy about them at the moment, had a message at the weekend from a mate who said you cant even do win lose on the booze this season, its all just so utterly pointless for them

I can't say I've ever felt any real rivalry for them, personally. I mean I always hope we're better than them, and I don't like losing to them, but I don't care if they get promoted and I don't have a hard time talking to the handful of fans I know.

I appreciate they may not/probably don't feel the same way about us of course, and from the sound of some of the callers to WM they have their share of bitter small-timers.

A smaller less relevant team will always pick a fight with the bigger club, simple as. 

I thought that they might concentrate on their actuall local rivals wolves, but maybe we are too big of a pull for them not to get annoyed about.

3 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

Never really had an issue with Sandwell Town until around 10 years when they developed a billy big b*****ks attitude. 3 of their fans started on me and my kids who were under the age of 10 at the time for wearing colours outside the Hawthorns. 

They’re well and truly obsessed with Villa, they make perfect bed partners for Small Heath.

Imagine getting a billy big b*****ks attitude just for finishing above 1 team a handful of times. No trophies, not even any cup finals, but just finishing 14th or something when we finished 17th or got relegated etc and all of a sudden they're the shit. Small club mentality :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

Never really had an issue with Sandwell Town until around 10 years when they developed a billy big b*****ks attitude. 3 of their fans started on me and my kids who were under the age of 10 at the time for wearing colours outside the Hawthorns. 

They’re well and truly obsessed with Villa, they make perfect bed partners for Small Heath.

Was same for me growing up, actually wanted them up in 2002 just to provide a more interesting fixture list for the next season as at that point we hadn't had a proper top flight Midlands derby in about 15 years.

Didn't have a huge problem up to about 2012 when they did that cringeworthy Pride of the Midlands thing (when they were finishing 14th playing god awful football under Pulis compared to our 16th most seasons).

I just see them as small time crybabies now like SHA.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Thank god we never signed johnstone 

He looks awful these days

Best days were behind Terry. With no solid back 4 and no leaders he was hopeless and badly found out 

Stuck to his line. No presence. Awful kicking. Indecisive distribution.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Best days were behind Terry. With no solid back 4 and no leaders he was hopeless and badly found out 

Stuck to his line. No presence. Awful kicking. Indecisive distribution.

Completely agree.  We dodged a bullet there. I even think steers better than him

On 11/11/2020 at 13:19, Mic09 said:

A smaller less relevant team will always pick a fight with the bigger club, simple as. 

I thought that they might concentrate on their actuall local rivals wolves, but maybe we are too big of a pull for them not to get annoyed about.

We’re actually much closer to them distance wise than Wolves. Their fans are scattered mainly around Sandwell, but their ground actually used to be within the Birmingham city boundaries, a fact that, if you mention it to them, irritates the f**k out of many of them.

Edited by meregreen

I've always wondered, how does someone become a Baggies fan? Even if you live right next to the ground, how do you end up looking at them and thinking, "yes, I can definitely get on board with that"?

Â